2016 Warriors Off Season Free Agent/Roster moves

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 pm
Stairway Man wrote:So who is our back up center after Pachulia if Jones it out? Seems like a thin front court.

Yeah, they have to find another guy!

All Star
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:18 pm
I wonder what Myers has in mind. Because I don't think just having Pachulia is going to cut it. I think Pachulia will fit in, but we need more than that. West isn't a center either. A Mcgee would have been fine, but I think he got signed.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:13 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Just read that Ezeli has agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with Portland. That's nowhere near the amount I thought he'd get from a team. I don't understand, thought the Warriors had his Bird Rights and so could resign him to any amount he is capable of getting. At the current salary cap, 7.5 million a season for Ezeli is actually cheap.
Same here - that's a bargain even considering his health risk.

I posted earlier that the objective for the FO is clearly to get under the luxury tax, and probably stay there for next year also. It's true that ownership can sign Bird-right players over the cap, but you really need to consider the repeat offender penalty - it's huge. Link

The only thing that is a reasonable reason to not resign some of the players that were here last season is because Durant can and likely will opt out after one season and to resign him the team will have to be under the salary cap the amount he wants to resign for, which apparently again will be the maximum which will be about 35 million with the salary cap set to go up to about 105 million. That is a valid reason but what it does and has done is made the team quite unstable in depth and having to sign one year contracts. I think having resigned Speights for 3 million a year for three years, which he would have taken to stay here, would have not been a hinderance to resign Durant and would have returned an effective big player to the team. The depth of the team was valuable the last two seasons and I said a day or so ago, one injury to one of the top seven players, especially one of the top four players, and the team could be weak enough to lose alot. It is difficult to improve from the performance last season and allowing most of the bench to leave without currently replacing properly likely will result in winning less this upcoming season.

I am very happy the team got Durant, though I would have much preferred him signing for at least three years with no opt out, but the FO could have kept at least Speights and also Varejao and had a much more stable team. If they resign Varejao for cheap and get another big, like Lee, then it changes things alot to me. Another veteran like Jason Terry wouldn't hurt either.

All Star
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:24 pm
In the Summer League game, they said that the Warriors were in the process of signing someone pretty good..

Also, Larry Sanders just posted a cryptic tweet of the Movie ''The Warriors.''

Site Admin
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 am
Stairway Man wrote:So who is our back up center after Pachulia if Jones it out? Seems like a thin front court.

West and MacAdoo, the Green in the death lineup. It was always a thin front court before.

All Star
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:06 am
JREED wrote:

West and MacAdoo, the Green in the death lineup. It was always a thin front court before.

I think those are all undersized 4s. They need a legit 5 as well.

Site Admin
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:21 am
Stairway Man wrote:
JREED wrote:

I think those are all undersized 4s. They need a legit 5 as well.

Maybe undersized as 5s, but not as 4s, not all of them. Also gotta keep in mind that we just added a 7-footer at the 3, Klay is an over-sized SG, and we play small a lot. I'm sure we're looking to add another big, but I think Zaza, West, MacAdoo, and later, Jones, could be a decent rotation at the 5.

All Star
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:29 am
Well maybe Jones if he really is legit. But I wouldn't mind adding another tall, athletic guy who could play 4 and 5.

Site Admin
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:47 pm
migya wrote:
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Just read that Ezeli has agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with Portland. That's nowhere near the amount I thought he'd get from a team. I don't understand, thought the Warriors had his Bird Rights and so could resign him to any amount he is capable of getting. At the current salary cap, 7.5 million a season for Ezeli is actually cheap.

I posted earlier that the objective for the FO is clearly to get under the luxury tax, and probably stay there for next year also. It's true that ownership can sign Bird-right players over the cap, but you really need to consider the repeat offender penalty - it's huge. Link

The only thing that is a reasonable reason to not resign some of the players that were here last season is because Durant can and likely will opt out after one season and to resign him the team will have to be under the salary cap the amount he wants to resign for, which apparently again will be the maximum which will be about 35 million with the salary cap set to go up to about 105 million. That is a valid reason but what it does and has done is made the team quite unstable in depth and having to sign one year contracts. I think having resigned Speights for 3 million a year for three years, which he would have taken to stay here, would have not been a hinderance to resign Durant and would have returned an effective big player to the team. The depth of the team was valuable the last two seasons and I said a day or so ago, one injury to one of the top seven players, especially one of the top four players, and the team could be weak enough to lose alot. It is difficult to improve from the performance last season and allowing most of the bench to leave without currently replacing properly likely will result in winning less this upcoming season.
You're really not looking at this from ownership's perspective. The repeat offender penalty is a more than reason enough to not over extend, and if you don't see how that impacts you as a fan, just ask some Nets fans what that's like - they got over extended and had to deal draft picks to acquire "new" players - a few bad moves later, they're still paying for it 3+ years after the fact, have no draft picks, and can't attract FAs.

But... This website seems to have the most comprehensive table: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/. According to that, we're well below the tax threshold, but we do still have some spots to fill. So it looks like we may be about $17 mil safe in terms of the repeat offender situation this season. In other words, that could have been a moot point after we shed Bogut's contract.

Even if the repeat offender clause isn't an issue, the reason you pointed out is good enough by itself, considering the guys that left signed multi-year deals except for Rush and Speights. Neither of which were in the team's long-term plans and fairly insignificant losses, all things considered. If we're being honest here, Mo was a massive liability on defense, a streaky scorer that could go entire weeks without having a good performance, and a total non-factor throughout most of his playoff runs with us. Rush is a big question mark as he seemed to at least be a better fit for us than HB, but he didn't get the PT, so there's more to that then what we know.

If the team retained the players you wanted to keep - Ezeli ($7,400,000; ignoring that Festus signed a multi-year deal) and Speights ($980,431), plus at least another ~ $3 mil to fill out our bench, and the ~ likely $900k for Clark (terms still unknown) - that's about $12.3 of the $17.2 mil we have to work with right now. That wouldn't leave much breathing room for that $3 mil to grow to sign more players, or if something happens over the course of the season.

Ultimately, the team owners aren't doing this for charity or for fun; they're businessmen and are trying to make money (not trying to sound patronizing, just making a point), and every dollar saved is a dollar earned. Even if they're safe from the repeat offender penalties for this season (which is obviously not an option), they'd still end up paying more money for mostly marginal talent. Keep in mind that this is a league where teams trade players and picks for straight-up cash.

I see where you're coming from, but i do believe we've romanticized and way overvalued our depth. With the exception of the Blazers series and Iggy, that bench wasn't good when we needed them to be - even Livingston made critical mistakes with a Finals' game 7 on the line. If anything, I think it was a wake up call to get more top heavy, because if we lost a Curry, Green, or Klay we were screwed anyways. With KD, we could realistically afford to lose one of those players and still be the favorites to win it all. So in a way, didn't we just increase our depth?

All Star
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm
Our depth was overrated. Yes having some depth helped us in the regular season. The regular season is a marathon and when you have guys like Mo Buckets hitting some shots, it helped preserve some of our players. And by doing that, it allowed us to pursue 73 wins. But in the playoffs, we could not count on that depth. Those 3 point shots that Mo made in the regular season, well, when the game is on the line in an important game, he's not able to make those shots because of the circumstances and the pressure.

Outside of Livingston and Iggy, most of our bench was actually pretty unreliable when it came to important games. If anything, the Warriors have a good system. And that allowed different players to play in it. But when the going got tough, you could just see those players fading away.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:51 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:
JREED wrote:

You're really not looking at this from ownership's perspective. The repeat offender penalty is a more than reason enough to not over extend, and if you don't see how that impacts you as a fan, just ask some Nets fans what that's like - they got over extended and had to deal draft picks to acquire "new" players - a few bad moves later, they're still paying for it 3+ years after the fact, have no draft picks, and can't attract FAs.

But... This website seems to have the most comprehensive table: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/. According to that, we're well below the tax threshold, but we do still have some spots to fill. So it looks like we may be about $17 mil safe in terms of the repeat offender situation this season. In other words, that could have been a moot point after we shed Bogut's contract.

Even if the repeat offender clause isn't an issue, the reason you pointed out is good enough by itself, considering the guys that left signed multi-year deals except for Rush and Speights. Neither of which were in the team's long-term plans and fairly insignificant losses, all things considered. If we're being honest here, Mo was a massive liability on defense, a streaky scorer that could go entire weeks without having a good performance, and a total non-factor throughout most of his playoff runs with us. Rush is a big question mark as he seemed to at least be a better fit for us than HB, but he didn't get the PT, so there's more to that then what we know.

If the team retained the players you wanted to keep - Ezeli ($7,400,000; ignoring that Festus signed a multi-year deal) and Speights ($980,431), plus at least another ~ $3 mil to fill out our bench, and the ~ likely $900k for Clark (terms still unknown) - that's about $12.3 of the $17.2 mil we have to work with right now. That wouldn't leave much breathing room for that $3 mil to grow to sign more players, or if something happens over the course of the season.

Ultimately, the team owners aren't doing this for charity or for fun; they're businessmen and are trying to make money (not trying to sound patronizing, just making a point), and every dollar saved is a dollar earned. Even if they're safe from the repeat offender penalties for this season (which is obviously not an option), they'd still end up paying more money for mostly marginal talent. Keep in mind that this is a league where teams trade players and picks for straight-up cash.

I see where you're coming from, but i do believe we've romanticized and way overvalued our depth. With the exception of the Blazers series and Iggy, that bench wasn't good when we needed them to be - even Livingston made critical mistakes with a Finals' game 7 on the line. If anything, I think it was a wake up call to get more top heavy, because if we lost a Curry, Green, or Klay we were screwed anyways. With KD, we could realistically afford to lose one of those players and still be the favorites to win it all. So in a way, didn't we just increase our depth?

Thanks for the link to that website JREED, it is more informative than the one I saw. It shows that right now the team has the 13th lowest team salary in the nba, that's great but to me it also shows going on the cheap, especially when you see that most of the salary is going to five players.

I believe the bench last season was very good and outside of Iguodala and Livingston, Barbosa, Speights, Ezeli and Rush were key contributors. They had lapses, some for quite long periods, but they contributed more than enough and in key games as well. The I don't think the contracts that these players recently signed with other teams is significantly high at all, in fact Speights and Ezeli especially signed for far less than what I expected, in particular Ezeli. Looking at the salary for this season and next season, the team could have afforded to resign Ezeli, Speights and even Barbosa and Rush, while still picking up West or some other FA at the minimum. They still would be under the luxury tax line for this season and next season.

I understand saving money or at least not spending money is a good move financially but for the just ten million odd dollars, which is not much for nba teams, the ownership could have ensured a higher chance for winning and success this season. At the moment there are a number of unproven players on the bench and really only Iguodala, Livingston and West are proven, West being rather old and declining. Clark and McAdoo have the most experience of the rest of them and they have never been even primary backups, only second string backups. As it stands right now, the team is thin on the bench and as I said earlier, if there is an injury to one of the top four players, especially for a significant period of time, the team will be much weakened and that could result in a number of losses.

I think the FO has been great, yet again, and have been since the new ownership took over, but this offseason has had some holes as such and outside of getting Durant and Pachulia, it has been a net negative, at least looking at it so far. Maybe the likes of Clark and McAdoo will be very good and maybe one of the three very young players can also contribute but they are all ifs which have yet to be seen. If they sign a player like David Lee and/or Jason Terry for the minimum, it will look much better and most spots will be filled well but those moves haven't been made yet.

As far as I see it getting Durant was sensational but also to put it all in perspective so far, the team gave up Barnes, Bogut, Barbosa, Rush, Speights and Ezeli for Durant, Pachulia and West. That's a net positive gain for sure but in isn't as secure long term right now, as Durant signed for two years and can opt out after one, and Pachulia and West are only signed for one year. The team his also worse off defensively. Durant is great, alltime great, but the FO decided to let some good assets leave without real need.

All Star
» Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 pm
Migya, let's wait and see if they sign another good player.

» Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:25 pm
I think organization is just waiting to scout summer league players from our squad (and others) to see if they want to round out our final 2 spots there. Additionally, we could always sign players via our D-League squad. I was hoping for me from Robert Carter. Hoping he plays well against Sixers today.

All Star
» Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 am
Warriors sign top pick, re-sign McAdoo
http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Warriors-sign-top-pick-re-sign-McAdoo-8376359.php

The Warriors have announced the signing of first-round draft pick Damian Jones and re-signing of free agent forward James Michael McAdoo.

Per team policy, no terms were given for either deal.

The 6-foot-10 Jones, the 30th overall pick in last month’s draft, played three seasons at Vanderbilt, where he averaged 13.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.69 blocks per game. He was a first-team All-SEC pick in his sophomore and junior seasons.

McAdoo, 23, played in 41 regular-season games in this, his second NBA season. The 6-foot-9, 230-pounder from North Carolina has averaged 3.2 points and 1.7 rebounds per game in his career.

All Star
» Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:53 am
So they resigned Verajao. A lot of people associate him with the loss in the finals. But he actually provided high energy minutes and we were happy when we signed him last year. So how many players on a roster? 15 or 12? I always get confused by that. 12 is the amount on the All Star team. Looks like we have 14 players, 2 are hurt.

Curry- Livingston- Clark
Klay- Mccaw
Durant- Iguodala
Green- West- Macadoo
Pachulia- Jones- Verajao