2016 Warriors Off Season Free Agent/Roster moves

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:14 pm
So is it safe to say Pachuila will start? What about Jones?

All Star
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:21 pm
Stairway Man wrote:So is it safe to say Pachuila will start? What about Jones?

yep and JREED posted that Jones is hurt so its probably slow going with him

All Star
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Just want to post I agree with the sentiment on here about ray allen. I dont want him either for reasons already posted.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm
Just read that Ezeli has agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with Portland. That's nowhere near the amount I thought he'd get from a team. I don't understand, thought the Warriors had his Bird Rights and so could resign him to any amount he is capable of getting. At the current salary cap, 7.5 million a season for Ezeli is actually cheap.

I think Varejao would stay for the minimum. Other bigs out there that could sign for the minimum for a chance to play on likely the greatest team ever next season include JJ Hickson, Haslem and Chris Anderson, who may be a bit of a headcase but used to be a key contributor, don't know ho effective he is now.

To replace Barbosa and Rush, there are fits at SGs and SFs like Jarrett Jack, Greivis Vasquez, Marcus Thornton, Jason Terry (might be a real good fit), Kevin Martin (if he has some of his scoring power left he could be a good fit) and Randy Foye

All Star
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 pm
migya wrote:Just read that Ezeli has agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with Portland. That's nowhere near the amount I thought he'd get from a team.

wow especially when you look at how much Harrison Barnes got. ya I thought teams would be lining up to pay Ezeli.

All Star
» Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 pm
migya wrote:To replace Barbosa and Rush, there are fits at SGs and SFs like Jarrett Jack, Greivis Vasquez, Marcus Thornton, Jason Terry (might be a real good fit), Kevin Martin (if he has some of his scoring power left he could be a good fit) and Randy Foye

At this point my main concern is I dont want to bring in anybody that wants to take alot of shots or is a chemistry risk.

Rookie
» Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:12 am
Not sure what they will get from West next year. He turns 36 next month. I guess he could still give some good minutes here and there but I wouldn't expect his contribution to be too much to rely on. At his age, energy, quickness, spring, stamina, and skills can decline rapidly, and once you lose the ability to keep up defensively you become a liability rather than an asset.

I would be a little concerned about the Warriors big men. Losing Bogut, Ezeli, and Speights is a pretty big loss. They could use a solid 20-25 minute big man. Maybe a 10 and 7 type guy if they can find one. I don't know who is available but I'm just saying I'm not sure if West is the guy they can rely on for that on a regular basis.

» Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:46 am
West is a better defender than Mo Buckets ever will be. Even at 36. As great of shooting Mo was, he did his own thing on the court. He didnt move around, he was major liability in Defence. West will at least work around our offense and be a better post defender. It's an upgrade move.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:44 pm
Just read that Speights has signed with the Clippers three years and eleven million, less than he was on I think. Big pickup for the Clips because Speights is a big that will give in areas they need.

Really awful that the bench is being guttered and Speights was the player I thought gave the team the best ingredients with his size and shooting and I think he could be a big loss, hopefully not.

Also just read that McAdoo just resigned apparently for under one million a year, not sure how long.

All Star
» Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:02 pm
Speights gone. Ian Clark and Mcadoo Signed.

So here is what I'm looking at..

Curry- Livingston, Clark
Klay- Mccaw
Durant- Iguodala
Green- West, McAdoo
Pachulia- Jones

So that is 12 players. Plus Kevon Looney. Is this the complete roster or are we looking for more players and then put some on the Santa Cruz team? Are Jones and Mccaw ready to go or will they be sent to D League?

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:11 am
Unless Varejao resigns the team needs David Lee or another veteran like him. The bench is unproven outside of West, Livingston and Iguodala and that is not good. There surely will be two or three good players out there that want to play here it is whether they get signed before some other team signs them.

Clark becomes the backup SG or SF, which ever one Iguodala isn't, and though Clark showed good flashes last season he is rather unproven himself though he could be more than ideal. One another big is needed alongside West on the bench, as McAdoo is good but unproven and going just with him as the primary backup at PF/C is not that secure at this point, though he might rise to be very good. A backup SG is also needed and I really think Jason Terry would be a nice fit as he is a veteran and shoots from outside well.

The draft pick Center Jones is apparently out until early December, as he is having surgery and will need rehab ofcourse. The team definitely needs to sign another big. Apparently Looney had surgery on his hip and he might be out for at least preseason. To be honest I'd rather trade him for a player that will actually play, like a 2nd rounder from this draft or the last one. Maybe some team sees a future in Looney, as he is talented.

Here is the salary of the team currently:

Kevin Durant $26,540,100 $27,734,405
Klay Thompson $16,663,575 $17,826,150 $18,988,725
Draymond Green $15,330,435 $16,400,000 $17,469,565 $18,539,130
Stephen Curry $12,112,359
Andre Iguodala $11,131,368
Shaun Livingston $5,782,450
Zaza Pachulia $2,898,000
Kevon Looney $1,182,840 $1,233,840 $2,227,081 $3,340,622
David West $980,431
Jason Thompson (stretched) $945,126 $945,126 $945,126
Pat McCaw $543,471 $905,249 $1,250,262
Guaranteed Total: $94,110,155

*Looks like the team will barely over the salary cap when they finish signing players which again leads me to the question; What happened this offseason that is reason for the team not resigning their own free agents that were signed last season? Had the team resigned the likes of Ezeli (who signed for two years and 15 million), Barbosa and Speights, they still would be under the luxury tax line which about 110 million. All I can think of is that they want to be sufficiently under the cap next offseason to resign Durant if he opts out because they don't have his Bird Rights and so can't be over the cap when they resign him in one year. The team bench has been gutted and it looks like they will have to rely quite a bit on young unproven players and that spells trouble if there is just one injury to one of the starters or first two bench players. Having kept at least Speights would have been big and allowed for more stability I think but hopefully it all goes well.

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 am
migya wrote:Just read that Ezeli has agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with Portland. That's nowhere near the amount I thought he'd get from a team. I don't understand, thought the Warriors had his Bird Rights and so could resign him to any amount he is capable of getting. At the current salary cap, 7.5 million a season for Ezeli is actually cheap.
Same here - that's a bargain even considering his health risk.

I posted earlier that the objective for the FO is clearly to get under the luxury tax, and probably stay there for next year also. It's true that ownership can sign Bird-right players over the cap, but you really need to consider the repeat offender penalty - it's huge. Link

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:32 am
Stairway Man wrote:Speights gone. Ian Clark and Mcadoo Signed.

So here is what I'm looking at..

Curry- Livingston, Clark
Klay- Mccaw
Durant- Iguodala
Green- West, McAdoo
Pachulia- Jones

So that is 12 players. Plus Kevon Looney. Is this the complete roster or are we looking for more players and then put some on the Santa Cruz team? Are Jones and Mccaw ready to go or will they be sent to D League?

Nope, this is about it, and I'm fine with it. MacAdoo is good to go and will be a much bigger part of the rotation. Zaza in some ways is an upgade, or at least he can fill most of Bogut's role. West and MacAdoo should platoon off the bench to fill Ezeli's role, which will be based on matchups. Looney should be ready to show us something (maybe get those old MacAdoo minutes) and whatever we get out of Jones this season will be a bonus. All depending on health of course.

I think not rushing Jones, and developing him and Looney are, and should be, extremely high priorities, as at least one of them amounting to a starting caliber big could ensure our success for years.

Honestly, I think Barbosa is the only piece we've yet to replace, but knowing our core, big 5 is Curry, Klay, KD, Green, and Iggy makes that loss seem incredibly insignificant.

All Star
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm
So who is our back up center after Pachulia if Jones it out? Seems like a thin front court.

Rookie
» Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:53 pm
They now have much less depth with the current roster. Basically two strong bench players. West, I am not sure what he's got left in the tank to give significant minutes. We'll have to see what he's got. Clark will be getting a lot of PT and he is probably the most reliable of the rest. The rest of the guys are very young and inexperienced. I don't know how much strong play you are going to get from them.

However keep in mind, there have been championship teams without particularly deep benches. It's been done. Injury would clearly be the biggest concern. You lose one of those first seven or eight guys, it would weaken the team play considerably. Hopefully they are not done and can add one or two more players who can make solid on-court contributions. Definitely need another experienced big man in my opinion. Even someone like Varejao would be valuable to them with their current line-up.