The anti-overreaction, "Season is over because we lost 1 game" thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4040
» Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:25 pm
I'm preemptively posting this, which is just a copy/paste from what i said in the 3/19/14 @ SAS game thread...

We hung in there with them the entire game without 2 of our 5 best players, in their house, on a road back-2-back, our 6th game in 9 days, and with Curry having an off night.

The Spurs have very little to be optimistic about. I guarantee Pop is not feeling great about this win.

I complete expect we'll get them next time (in SA), unless we have the record and home court clinched when we face them in game 81. It always sucks to lose, and I'm not big on moral victories, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that we aren't the better team.

I some will see this game as evidence that we are cursed against the Spurs and that our season is over, but that's just not true and would be completely ignoring all the facts I just laid out.

Keep your chins up, we're 62-7 still!
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm
Read Skip Bayless's twitter. He said he had no faith in the Spurs, but after the win he said the Warriors have no excuses because Pop barely played Duncan. Now he says Spurs can beat the Warriors. Total flip flop. I feel we can never win in San Antonio. Yes I do think we have more talent than them, but they seem to get the right bounces and will their way to wins against us. It's a mental thing. Older brother teaching the younger brother. I feel Warriors are intimidated.

Bottom line is the Warriors are cursed against the Spurs. They still won't win in SA this year. They SHOULD win and CAN win but they WON'T win for whatever reason. It's just not meant to be. It's a curse. As long as Duncan is on the team, we won't beat them for whatever the reason is.
Last edited by Stairway Man on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 pm
yep it dont matter they lost
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:53 pm
Look at how Skip Bayless's emotions have went from hopeless to hopeful for his Spurs.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:52 am
Let's just accept our fate. The Spurs are the better team than us and they have figured us out and are beating us in the chess game. We don't have the chess moves that they have. We cannot stop Boris Diaw. He is our kryptonite. We cannot stop the length of Aldridge. And also they have Kawhi. They have however showed that they can stop Curry. They were swarming all over him and by sticking to him for the whole game, Curry was not able to get any space. All he could do was force desperate shots. They made Curry look bad. Even Aldridge was guarding him like he was Delivedova. Even Parker looked good guarding Curry. That's just sad. Michael Jordan would never let a team continue a 32 game win streak against him. He had the competitive edge, whereas Curry is mentally weak at times with no fire.

The bottom line is we don't have the execution and tic tac toe of San Antonio. They control the pace. They have the inside scoring to do so. Last night we played desperate and just jacked up shots. And now we are back to making moral victories. The Spurs can toy with us. They did it in the playoffs. We were up 16 and lost in the last 4 minutes in Game 1. We killed them in Game 2, but yet somehow San Antonio found a way to win the series.

And this year it just looks like San Antonio is in control. We are pretty intermittent and up and down, up and down. Spurs just have it under control and strike when they need to. I'm not looking forward to a series with them. Not if all we have to look forward to is moral victories. That's what the Cavaliers did.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:22 pm
Spurs' Gregg Popovich 'envious' of the Warriors, calls them 'unsolvable'
By Ananth Pandian | NBA writer
February 14, 2016 2:15 pm ET


Starting off the season in historic fashion, the Golden State Warriors are focused on not only defending their 2015 championship but also surpassing the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls' record of 72 regular-season wins. This is not a foregone conclusion though as the Warriors still have 30 games left and then have to get past other Western Conference elite teams in the playoffs, like the San Antonio Spurs and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

As of right now, the Spurs are second in the West with a 45-8 record and seem like the most likely challenger to the Warriors. This may be because Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich is "envious" of how Golden State plays and literally thinks about how to beat the Warriors all the time.

From ESPN's Marc Stein:

"I've spent more time thinking about Golden State than I have any other team I've ever thought about in my whole career," Popovich told ESPN Radio on Friday. "Because they are really fun. I'd go buy a ticket and go watch them play. And when I see them move the ball, I get very envious. When I see them shoot uncontested shots more than anybody else in the league, it's inspiring. It's just great basketball.

"So I'm actually enjoying them very much. You try to solve them, but they're in a sense unsolvable because it's a particular mix of talent that they have. It's not just that Steph [Curry] can make shots or that Klay can make shots or that Draymond Green is versatile. Everybody on the court can pass, catch and shoot. And they all get it."

"They're for real," Popovich added. "They're talented. But they're also very, very smart."


While it is hard to imagine Popovich enjoys losing to the Warriors, Golden State already blew out San Antonio once this year. It is great to hear that Pop can appreciate the brilliance of his opponent. Golden State's head coach, Steve Kerr, once played for the Spurs so Popovich must have at least a small sense of pride in his former player's success as a coach. And the Warriors also play beautiful basketball, expertly spacing the floor and sharing the ball on offense while also playing suffocating defense.

It is interesting to hear Popovich say that the Warriors are unsolvable. Pop is a master at figuring out how to best take advantage of matchups and it seems like with Golden State, he still hasn't figured that out yet. But he will have several more times to do so as the regular season draws to a close.

The Spurs play the Warriors three more times in the regular season and if everything shakes out their respective ways, the two teams should likely meet in the Western Conference Finals. And who knows, by then Popovich may have solved out how the Spurs can beat the Warriors.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4040
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:22 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Look at how Skip Bayless's emotions have went from hopeless to hopeful for his Spurs.

Skip Bayless is a confessed Spurs homer, and one of the biggest trolls in sports media, shame on you for referencing anything that walking click-bait says, or following his twitter.

Duncan only played 8 minutes because of match-ups - he's too old to keep up with the small ball lineup we were forced to start. That was a decision Pop made, not one he was forced into or made for their greater good. Spurs fans were the first to point that out, and their players confirmed it by giving him props for willing to come off the bench.

You can't watch that game, while knowing anything about basketball, knowing everything the Dubs had going against them, and have faith that the Spurs will beat this team 4 out of 7, let alone 1 on the road.

I'm not accepting any fate. The Spurs were supposed to win this game and they barely did. I've never been more confident that we are the better team. Go watch the Spurs post game interviews - they are not of a confident team, as they damn well they shouldn't be. Ginobili basically said everything I did: they aren't "even" with us, that we had several key disadvantages, and this is not the team they'll face in the playoffs. Props to both Kawhi, and Manu - 2 non-diluted players that know when they're facing a better team - and to the many die hard Spurs fans that are the same. Can they still find a way to beat us when healthy? Maybe, if anyone can, its Pop. Otherwise, they're praying for injuries (specifically for us to not have a playable 5) or for Klay and Curry to combine for under 30% for 4 games. Also, wasn't their bench supposed to be the determining factor? How'd they end up barely edging ours by 2 points without Iggy, Rush, or Ezeli?

You're right about one thing, after thinking about it, watching us almost beat a 59-10 without 3 key players, on a back-to-back, and our 2 best scorers go 11-38, forget the moral victories - we should have won that game. After all that if we secure 2 more rebounds or if Curry/Klay hit 2 more open shots (that they make 9/10 times), then we win that game. We need to not do that again and we won't. I can't wait until we play them again!

If you want to break it down, we can do that too: go back and watch the game, and tell me again how they won - no inside presence for us. Watch how wide open they leave the lane when they're doing all that switching on Curry, and ask yourself how that'd be different with 3 of our best cutters (Bogut, Iggy, Ezeli), and our best screen setter (Bogut). No excuses, no moral victories (certainty none for the Spurs). Same story on D: our conventional frontcourt ownes theirs lately, and Bogut , Green, and Ezeli eat LMA and Duncan's lunch defensively and on the boards. We'll be ready for them next time - Spurs don't own adjustments, we've proven we can do it with the best of them.

Finally, I can't believe we're watching the same games if you think, "We are pretty intermittent and up and down, up and down." What do they have to do, go undefeated, blowing out teams by 40 points every night? Give me a break. You're wrong, plain and simple; they aren't in control, nor are they the better team. You want to give credit to everyone and their mom before you utter a single positive word about this team - before it was Duncan, then it was Pop, now it's Diaw. Look, if you need a big bad wolf complex for whatever reason, that's on you, but please stop stating your wildly inaccurate conjecture as fact when it's anything but. Just know that we are that wolf for other teams - we've become the most hated on team in the league because we're amazing. Fans of other teams celebrate and rejoice when we're defeated, because they're happy to see we can bleed; that it's even possible; it gives them 1% of hope that maybe, if given the right conditions, they might be able to do the same.

By all means, keep it up, because everytime you proclaim we're doomed, you're proven wrong almost immediately after. So the superstitious fan in me hopes we continue these debates. The pragmatist in me does grow a bit short and tired of arguing the obvious, just as I'm sure you do of devil's advocate and alarmist - Ive got a feeling that you know we're the best team in the NBA.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:24 pm
Warriors blew out the spurs. Spurs barely beat the warriors.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4040
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:10 pm
Thanks for posting that Mullin - i actually was going to back when he said it, and referenced it several times - it's easily favorite quote of the season.

Pop isn't Belicheck or Jim Harbaugh, he doesn't like talking to the media and doesn't play games (difference between having fun while jokingly stating the obvious as he does vs misdirection), but when he does, he's honest and speaks plainly. So to hear him romanticize and speak so eloquently about us while singing our praises, knowing it's not just "coach speak," is truly validating.

As a Warriors fan...
Image
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:34 pm
JReed, I don't want to call you out and say you're writing BS. But a part of me believes that we aren't looking at everything. We have lost 7 games but the Spurs only lost 10 games and many, many of our wins have come off of what others deem as miracle shots, whereas the Spurs seem to put teams away without needing that last shot. So we very easily could be behind the Spurs. Can you admit that?

And the problem with saying last night was just an off night is that the Spurs will always play at that level. They don't have too many ''off nights.'' Pop is able to get them to do what they want to do. They tested our small ball death lineup and got the better of us. Now how are we going to guard Diaw? Diaw may ver well be the best post up player in the league, even though he's really slow. He just sorta takes his time, and lets the game come to him. What's our answer to Diaw?

Last night Curry didn't look confident. He couldn't get to the basket, he couldn't shake the defenders on him. How do you explain that? If Curry really was who we all think he is, he would have taken over with adrenaline and got the job done. Last night was the WRONG night to go off his game or whatever the case may be because we needed the win. 33 straight losses now in San Antonio. I know most of those other losses have nothing to do with us, but the FACT IS that they should be extra motivated to end that streak because they know it is looming over their heads. But they couldn't handle the pressure or out execute San Antonio.

JReed, I know there are many explanations, but the fact is that San Antonio got the win. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you win by or why, all that matters is that you get the win. If Bogut plays, Spurs just bring out Duncan or West. If Iguodala plays, I'm sure the Spurs have a counter.

The point is WE have to prove it to them, not the other way around. They still have our number until we win in SA and beat them in the playoffs. Remember when we lost to them in the playoffs? We claim that we would win the first game if not for their miracle comeback. Then we blew them out in game 2 and it looked like we were the better team, yet the Spurs came back and won the series. NEVER count out san Antonio no matter how it may look.
Last edited by Stairway Man on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:37 pm
mullin17 wrote:Warriors blew out the spurs. Spurs barely beat the warriors.



A win is a win. If you wanna talk point differential, who owns that?

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:37 pm
No its how you can judge how the games were played. Its not worth explaining but I guess I will. 2 teams each play each other on their home courts and one home team barely wins and one home teams blows them out, who is better? Its that simple. obvious to anybody whos not a spurs fan
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:07 pm
mullin17 wrote:No its how you can judge how the games were played. Its not worth explaining but I guess I will. 2 teams each play each other on their home courts and one home team barely wins and one home teams blows them out, who is better? Its that simple. obvious to anybody whos not a spurs fan


2 games is a small sample size. So if we lose the NEXT game against Spurs are you still going to say we are better because we won the first game?

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:17 pm
Stairway Man wrote:2 games is a small sample size. So if we lose the NEXT game against Spurs are you still going to say we are better because we won the first game?


If the spurs win the next game, to me, the advantage goes to them and I will say they are better but not until then.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1289
» Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:42 pm
mullin17 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:2 games is a small sample size. So if we lose the NEXT game against Spurs are you still going to say we are better because we won the first game?


If the spurs win the next game, to me, the advantage goes to them and I will say they are better but not until then.



So in other words no excuses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests