Board Updates Thread - Updated 2016-01-20

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Site Admin
» Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:43 pm
I merged the two "Update/IMPORTANT" topics, and decided to just have one thread to keep everyone updated on what's going on with board since the changes will be coming pretty fast. I'll use this top post as somewhat of a change log and bump it with new updates as we go along. If you have suggestions you'd like to discuss as a group (apposed to PM'ing me) this is the place to do it.

Changes:
  • 2016-01-20: Consolidated the forum list: Merged "Articles" & "Trades" with "Warriors Basketball" and "Ticket Exchange" with "Off-Topic Forum." I also moved all the forums to the Board Index instead of being in the "General Category." We can expand the number of forums we have later if need be, but I it was too cluttered before and this helps focus the discussion.

Site Admin
» Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:05 am
I came close, and all my ducks are in a row, but it's getting late, and I have work tomorrow. Since there's a game tomorrow (1/11) and not the following night, that's when it makes the most sense. An email will go out to all the regulars and new members announcing the update.

I'll have plenty of time to explain things later, but since this was such a significant overhaul, expect some minor bugs and whatnot.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:40 pm
Thanks for the work you've put in JREED.

Site Admin
» Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm
Ok guys, we're gonna give this a shot in about an hour. It could take several hours (or all night), because so much is going to be done on the fly.

While I'm working the board will have a message stating it's being updated. When it's done (if all goes well), some of you may have some odd page from Go Daddy or your ISP saying the page doesn't exist - this just means your Doman Name System (DNS) service needs to update (this also means you should probably use Google for your DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/pub ... sing?hl=en)

I'll try to remember to send out and email when it's all done.

Site Admin
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:43 am
OK guys, as you can see, it's up. I'm going to make this brief because it's late...

First, let me know ASAP via PM if you notice anything wrong. Second, expect there to be many more changes over the course of the next couple of months, so more brief board outages.

The new theme is very different from the stock phpbb look and functionality. So if you notice anything is wonky, or if you'd just rather use the stock theme while I iron out some more kinks, just shoot me a PM and I'll set it for you.

I'll probably have plenty more too add later, but I look forward to what you guys think.

» Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am
BRAVO, JR!

The mobile site looks FANTASTIC! And the desktop version is even cleaner! Thank you so much for the tireless hours and incredible work! Well done! :D

All Star
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 am
This site is about to blossom

Site Admin
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm
Thanks guys. There's still much to come and some obvious bugs now, but as I said before - it's an improvement. I'm going to try to mix-in the fun new stuff, with the boring enhancements.

You'll notice that the reputation mod has been removed (all mods have been). I still have everyone's values, I just need to think about how I'm going to implement it here.

Also gone is our beloved Chatbox - it seems many people that once supported phpBB have moved on to newer forum software (IE Discourse, Vanilla, etc.), but I guess I'm old fashioned because I don't want my discussion to have a shelf-life and for everything to look and work like reddit on steroids - so it's slim pickings out there for phpBB enhancements/styles/mods/extensions. I considered changing, because of modern aesthetics and functionality, but I wanted this type of forum feel still, and I figured I could do a lot of that from scratch... :banghead: I've got some plans for our old Chatbox though...

Feel free to PM me suggestions, but probably not if it something like favicons, more notification methods (including push), Facebook like @username mentioning/quoting notifications, or any of that obvious stuff :wink:

All Star
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:24 pm
Everything just seems smoother with this new layout, Great job !!!

Site Admin
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:57 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Everything just seems smoother with this new layout, Great job !!!

Thanks man, but I can't take all the credit; I started out with a style called bootlike, applied a bootstrap theme from bootswatch, then made about a thousand tweaks and whatnot.

The board should be much faster too, now that we're on our own our own VPS, rather than shared hosting.

» Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:03 pm
Looks good!

Site Admin
» Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 pm
Oops, wrong thread...

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:25 am
Definitely a modern sort of style though I will miss the old style that seems to have been around since I became a member. Thanks for the work JREED.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:38 am
Again, great job JREED and thanks for doing this.

Site Admin
» Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 am
Same as the first post: I merged the two "Update/IMPORTANT" topics, and decided to just have one thread to keep everyone updated on what's going on with board since the changes will be coming pretty fast. I'll use the top post as somewhat of a change log and bump it with new updates as we go along. If you have suggestions you'd like to discuss as a group (apposed to PM'ing me) this is the place to do it.