Should we be concerned about the Spurs?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:19 am
It is up to the coaches to prepare and train the teams in all aspects of the game and defensively the team is rather weak. Walton doesn't look as good right now at least.

All Star
» Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:43 am
Is Kerr ever going to heal?

» Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:09 am
Tough to give Walton all the credit when he merely slipped his hand into a glove that was fashioned by Kerr. I like Luke a lot, but I seriously doubt he dramatically improves the Lakers when he inevitably gets their HC job next year.

Site Admin
» Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Lets not blame Walton. I think he is just about as good as Kerr and the record proves that.

No, he's no where close to Kerr, and the record does not prove that. Like 32 said, he lucked his way into the best coaching job in American sports, even if it is temporary. This record is 99% on guys like Curry, Green, Iggy and Bogut. Basketball has always been more about the players, but a great HC can make a big difference.

» Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:55 pm
And, more to the point, there's a huge difference between being a HC and subbing for a HC.

This is Kerr's system, running Kerr's plays, with players inserted according to Kerr's rotations. You can credit Walton with calling time outs when necessary or knowing which of Kerr's plays to run out of a break, but to act like he orchestrated the entire start to the season organically from the ground up is simply wrong.

All Star
» Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:01 am
JREED wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Lets not blame Walton. I think he is just about as good as Kerr and the record proves that.

No, he's no where close to Kerr, and the record does not prove that. Like 32 said, he lucked his way into the best coaching job in American sports, even if it is temporary. This record is 99% on guys like Curry, Green, Iggy and Bogut. Basketball has always been more about the players, but a great HC can make a big difference.

The Warriors just blew out the top 2 Eastern teams by 30 points. You don't think Walton had anything to do with that? You see, we only blamed Walton when we lost but it was probably on the players who fell asleep for one game. Kerr also lost against an unhealthy Cleveland team twice, lets not forget that.
» Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:21 pm
na!those old farts will lose to thunder in the second!
the thunder should give us competion

» Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:13 pm
CHRIS MULLIN wrote:na!those old farts will lose to thunder in the second!
the thunder should give us competion

I wish I had your confidence, CM, but - as a fan rapidly approaching age 30 - I'm someone whose prime sports viewing years have completely encompassed the run of Tim Duncan in a Spurs uniform... and as someone whose been a hardcore fan since TD put San Antonio on his chest, I can personally attest to the fact that the Spurs have only ever risen to the occasion of proving the doubters wrong when age is brought into play.

Not only that, but the Spurs have gone from looking 'old' a year or two ago to looking 'experienced' or 'seasoned' this year. Yes, they still have a slew of long-in-the-tooth veterans at the end of their respective runs, but they also have a new core of players that have a lot of mileage left in their systems.

Duncan & Ginobli are fossils (still HIGHLY EFFECTIVE fossils, but definitely ready to hang 'em up at seasons' end). Rasual Butler, Matt Bonner, and David West are all a year or two from being totally unimpactful. Boris Diaw isn't exactly ancient, but he's been playing professional ball since age 19 and has a lot of mileage and injuries on those legs of his... legs that seem to carry more and more weight each year.

However, Tony Parker is still just 32, barely exiting the prime of his career, and only 3 years removed from a season where he garnered serious MVP consideration for unquestionably leading the Spurs to an NBA title. While not the player he was 3, 5, or 7 years ago, Parker is still a PG averaging 52% from the field, a career-high 43% from beyond the arc, and putting up a 114 Offensive Rating (in only 26 minutes per game) that would clock in as the 2nd best season he's ever posted in that category should the numbers hold up.

And that brings us to Kahwai Leonard, LeMarcus Alderidge, Danny Green, and Patty Mills... four players that ANY team would like to have, two of which MOST teams would trade their whole starting 5 to get, and all averaging a median age of 27.

I've learned to become increasingly wary of dismissing those 'geezers' and old and burnt out. The guys in San Antonio just seem to thrive on that type of disrespect and for however ancient the Spurs may be, they remain the only other roster in the league capable of keeping up with the Warriors on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. At 39-8, I'd say they've earned the right to not be taken lightly.

All Star
» Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:56 pm
Actually 32, Parker will be 34 this season

» Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:18 pm
You are correct. Tony Parker is 33, not 32. My mistake.

I'm not going to say that he'll be 34 this season, because it is my hope that somebody knocks the Spurs out prior to May. [-o<

All Star
» Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:05 am
JReed, I appreciate the work you have done with this site. I think more people need to know about it, I mean you are top 3 in google for warriors forum. And GSW is the most popular team.

Having said that I am asking you not to ban me if you find me too negative. I get very anxious. I even had a bad dream last night that the Spurs beat the Warriors and the Warriors had 7 losses to end the season, while the Spurs ended with 6. I just saw the Spurs dismantle OKC. They are undefeated at home and remain very very scary. I mean we talk about how they have had an easier schedule and yet they just dismantled the Bulls and OKC and don't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Iggy is now out for 2 weeks. It's getting dicey.

I don't get how people are not scared of the Spurs. Yes we beat them by 30. But that is just one game. What about the fact that we have not won a regular season game in San Antonio in 20 years almost. It looks like we're out of luck this year too. Well, I guess everyone is. So that means in the playoffs, we cannot lose one game at home when we play SA, that's even if we get the home court advantage. Because Spurs never lose at home.

I don't get how we shouldn't be very scared. They have the highest point spread and have only 10 losses on the season. We have 6 losses but I seem to recall a bunch of miracle shots by Curry. We could have easily lost against OKC and should have. We could have lost against Brooklyn and were inches away. We are pretty lucky to only have 6 losses and yet the Spurs have 10 and have 3 more games against us. We may not even get the 1 seed. Call me paranoid, but I think they might be better than us. Record is almost the same, they have the point spread. I think that we do have the one thing that could separate us and that is Stephen Curry. But..... Do not underestimate Gregg Popovich. I feel like this Spurs team is so dead focused right now and nothing will deter them from striving. They are playing with house money.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 am
Have to say that the Spurs keep the team on their toes. They're only four games behind and it is because of them that Kerr probably won't rest the starters or some of them so much towards the end of the season, maybe in the last three or four games if the team has wrapped up homecourt. It is in a way a blessing in disguise because that is why the team may break Chicago's wins record.

Site Admin
» Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:41 pm
Stairway Man wrote:JReed, I appreciate the work you have done with this site. I think more people need to know about it, I mean you are top 3 in google for warriors forum. And GSW is the most popular team.

Having said that I am asking you not to ban me if you find me too negative. I get very anxious. I even had a bad dream last night that the Spurs beat the Warriors and the Warriors had 7 losses to end the season, while the Spurs ended with 6. I just saw the Spurs dismantle OKC. They are undefeated at home and remain very very scary. I mean we talk about how they have had an easier schedule and yet they just dismantled the Bulls and OKC and don't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Iggy is now out for 2 weeks. It's getting dicey.

I don't get how people are not scared of the Spurs. Yes we beat them by 30. But that is just one game. What about the fact that we have not won a regular season game in San Antonio in 20 years almost. It looks like we're out of luck this year too. Well, I guess everyone is. So that means in the playoffs, we cannot lose one game at home when we play SA, that's even if we get the home court advantage. Because Spurs never lose at home.

I don't get how we shouldn't be very scared. They have the highest point spread and have only 10 losses on the season. We have 6 losses but I seem to recall a bunch of miracle shots by Curry. We could have easily lost against OKC and should have. We could have lost against Brooklyn and were inches away. We are pretty lucky to only have 6 losses and yet the Spurs have 10 and have 3 more games against us. We may not even get the 1 seed. Call me paranoid, but I think they might be better than us. Record is almost the same, they have the point spread. I think that we do have the one thing that could separate us and that is Stephen Curry. But..... Do not underestimate Gregg Popovich. I feel like this Spurs team is so dead focused right now and nothing will deter them from striving. They are playing with house money.
Thanks for the kind words stairway, but we use to be no. 1 - I still have a lot of work to do :wink:

As far as banning you, the thought never crossed my mind. I'm not going to say i don't mind the negativity, but you're free to say and feel however you want as long as it's within the rules. Plus the fact that you're having dreams about Warrior basketball means you're in the right place.

There's a difference between being concerned and scared. I think most intelligent fans are aware of our history, and are at most cautiously optimistic towards our facing them. I just think we're the better team, with youth and the best player in the NBA on our side, and that we'll ultimately prevail.

All Star
» Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 pm
I just feel sick to my stomach because Saturday's game is in San Antonio. I think it's so shameful that they had to put that game on a back end of a back to back. It's as if the schedule makers put no effort into making it more fair. I'm sick that we haven't won there since the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys were the top groups in the world. And even though we're having a historical year, it's likely still going to be the same result. There is NOTHING that could stop this spell. We may not win another game in San Antonio in the regular season till 2025.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:16 am
Stairway Man wrote:I just feel sick to my stomach because Saturday's game is in San Antonio. I think it's so shameful that they had to put that game on a back end of a back to back. It's as if the schedule makers put no effort into making it more fair. I'm sick that we haven't won there since the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys were the top groups in the world. And even though we're having a historical year, it's likely still going to be the same result. There is NOTHING that could stop this spell. We may not win another game in San Antonio in the regular season till 2025.

I almost hit the icon next to quote which is "report this post" and looking at it actually, I feel like doing so :mrgreen:

The schedule makers really have screwed the team this season but they have still won alot and after all that they are headed for possibly winning the most in a regular season ever. Playing the Spurs in San Antonio in the back end just seems to fit the rest of the schedule of shafting the team but they'll probably win it, though I think they'll probably lose that one, winning the last two against them this season.