Will the Warriors win 72+ games?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Will the Warriors win 72+ games?

27%
Yes
3
18%
No
2
36%
They'll come close - 70 wins
4
18%
They'll win more than 72
2

Total votes: 11

User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4047
» Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:57 pm
We've already done the win prediction contest, but now the Dubs are 18-0 and it appears as the only thing that can stop them is themselves (turnovers, cold shooting, poor shot selection, obviously injuries, etc.). Our start to the season is unrivalled by not only record, but statically. While it's too soon to compare us to the '96 Bulls in terms of a season's body of work, there's no comparison through the first 18 games. Through the first 18 games, the Warriors are objectively the greatest team in the history of the NBA.

Can our boys keep this up? Or will they face adversity and buck the trend?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22190
» Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 am
The team is 19-0 right now and obviously they look like they are headed for the best winning season in nba history. I think they will come close but probably win about 67 games again, with one of the top three players maybe getting injured for a few games. Hopefully they break the record but it is some record.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 pm
I'm voting yes. I literally can't name a team capable of beating the Golden State Warriors besides, as Charles Barkley recently put it, the Golden State Warriors. If they continue to execute like a well oiled machine, 72 might be doable. Remember, this is a team that didn't lose 3 games in a row ONCE last year. They won't go undefeated, which would be absurd, but if they continue to rattle off 8 or 9 wins per loss... 72 is in grasp.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4047
» Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:23 pm
It is quit the feet, but if anyone is capable... Obviously sitting at 20-0, with no loses, we can't use traditional trending to predict our final record (unless we do go undefeated 8) - I kid). We are nearly 1/4 of the way through the season and we're in the midst of a nasty 7-game road trip with 5 games left against some good teams (TOR, IND, BOS, etc.), so let's say we go 3-2 and end up 23-2. That still puts us on pace for 75 wins. We would need to go 51-11 from this point forward to NOT win 72 game, which at this point sounds more improbable.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1295
» Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 am
JREED wrote:It is quit the feet, but if anyone is capable... Obviously sitting at 20-0, with no loses, we can't use traditional trending to predict our final record (unless we do go undefeated 8) - I kid). We are nearly 1/4 of the way through the season and we're in the midst of a nasty 7-game road trip with 5 games left against some good teams (TOR, IND, BOS, etc.), so let's say we go 3-2 and end up 23-2. That still puts us on pace for 75 wins. We would need to go 51-11 from this point forward to NOT win 72 game, which at this point sounds more improbable.



I think 70 or more is great. 73 is a bonus. But as long as they are the only team other than Bulls to get 70, they'll be one of the top 2 teams of all time as long as they win the Championship. We'll know more after the 7 game trip. But it's still too early to say until All Star Break. It's a long way. We can do it next year too if we fall short this year. Championship should be the main goal. If we go 40 and 22 the rest of the way, we'll still have 60 wins. How crazy is that?
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5907
» Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:04 am
There is only 4 wins that matter and they usually come in June!

I am totally stoked that we have an almost 10 game lead on the Clippers for the WEST!!!

But the injurygods need to be on our side if we wanna achieve 73 wins.

I just want to be healthy after April. We will have a few high ankle sprains and concussions thru out the season but we just don't need any SEASON Ending injuries.

All Star
Posts: 3177
» Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:24 am
I looked as far as Decembers schedule, they have a favorable schedule. Overall yes-Amazing what is taking place right now.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:13 am
Until the Christmas game against the Cavs, the Warriors don't play anybody above a middle-of-the-pack threat (and that's being polite). Raptors on Saturday, then we get the Nets, the Suns, 2 games against the Bucks, the Pacers, the Celtics, and the Jazz before December 25th against the LeBrons.

I don't mean to sound overconfident, but those are ALL winnable games if the Warriors play their part.

And if they win EVERY game going into the game against Cleveland... that'll be 28-0. Which is roughly 1/3 of the season - or a little over, to be precise.

Obviously, maintaining a 1.000 winning percentage won't happen, but if you start 1/3 of the season without a loss... how can 70 not be in reach? Taking an unblemished record into Cleveland means you need to win 44 of the remaining 54 games to tie Jordan's Bulls... that's an 81.4% winning percentage. To compare, the Warriors' winning percentage on the year last season was 81.7%.

I'm just saying, even if the Warriors fall back to earth and become the team they were last year... if you make it to Christmas without a loss, that'll be enough to tie the record.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22190
» Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:24 pm
The team does great focusing on the next game and not getting ahead of themselves. Every game, especially road game, is difficult and fatigue gets more and more with every day but the whole team has performed and it has been great so far. It'd be great to beat the longstanding Lakers 33 straight wins record but personally I want the coaches to be smart and see how the players, in particular the three or four best players, health is because injury is always the biggest problem and though Barnes and Bogut have missed time, any prolonged missed time by either Curry, Klay or DGreen could mean the team could lose almost as much as they win. It'd be great to break Chicago's 72 win record but in all, winning it all is the main thing. It'd be great for the team to win back to back championships, it'd make up for all the losing for most of eighteen odd years up until three years ago.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5907
» Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:39 am
migya wrote:. It'd be great to break Chicago's 72 win record but in all, winning it all is the main thing. It'd be great for the team to win back to back championships, it'd make up for all the losing for most of eighteen odd years up until three years ago.


I know man.. All these bandwaggoner fans don't know how hard it use to be back in the day!

These streaks and titles. All star appearances were too and far between.

It's like the Karma gods have really been flipping the magnetic poles and making sure the warriors got repaid 10 fold in terms of how hard struggle street was for 2 decades up until Chris Webber split town!
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4047
» Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:13 pm
Honestly, I think winning 72 games is/should be an extremely high priority for the organization, coaches, players, and the fans. What is the point of sports? To compete; to be the best. So why should being the best team currently be that much more important than the best of all time? Obviously it would suck to win 72 then not win the Finals, but if given the opportunity, shouldn't you try to do both?

50 years from now hardly anyone will know who won the 15-16 Finals, but if the Dubs win 72+, they go down as one of the, if not the, greatest of all-time. They replace the '96 Bulls as the team as the team of which all great teams are measured against.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:00 pm
JREED wrote:Honestly, I think winning 72 games is/should be an extremely high priority for the organization, coaches, players, and the fans. What is the point of sports? To compete; to be the best. So why should being the best team currently be that much more important than the best of all time? Obviously it would suck to win 72 then not win the Finals, but if given the opportunity, shouldn't you try to do both?

50 years from now hardly anyone will know who won the 15-16 Finals, but if the Dubs win 72+, they go down as one of the, if not the, greatest of all-time. They replace the '96 Bulls as the team as the team of which all great teams are measured against.

I agree, particularly with the record (seemingly) in reach.

Championships are the name of the game, but being the all-time winningest team in the history of basketball would definitely be a longer-standing type of glory.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22190
» Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:36 pm
32 wrote:
JREED wrote:Honestly, I think winning 72 games is/should be an extremely high priority for the organization, coaches, players, and the fans. What is the point of sports? To compete; to be the best. So why should being the best team currently be that much more important than the best of all time? Obviously it would suck to win 72 then not win the Finals, but if given the opportunity, shouldn't you try to do both?

50 years from now hardly anyone will know who won the 15-16 Finals, but if the Dubs win 72+, they go down as one of the, if not the, greatest of all-time. They replace the '96 Bulls as the team as the team of which all great teams are measured against.

I agree, particularly with the record (seemingly) in reach.

Championships are the name of the game, but being the all-time winningest team in the history of basketball would definitely be a longer-standing type of glory.



Yet championships is what players and anyone involved with a franchise want and what teams and franchises are evaluated on. It would be absolutely great for the team to break the most win in a season record this season but if they didn't win the championship as well they could be seen as one of the biggest failures ever. They should try to win as many games as possible but only if it doesn't burnout the players, making the chance of injury more likely and thus the chance of losing in the playoffs more likely as well.
User avatar

Rookie
Posts: 147
» Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 am
On a side note, odds of winning 41 straight are very realistic. Look at the schedule - on pace to win 44 or even 45 straight, if the Cavs don't go berserk:

Image
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5907
» Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:03 am
Spurs are the only team that scares me. Their roster isn't phenomenal it's more their coach and their warriors kryptonite factor!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests