Kevin Durant Seriously Considering Joining Golden State Warr

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:47 am
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/kev ... cid=LENDHP

Kevin Durant Seriously Considering Joining Golden State Warriors During 2016 Free Agency

This year's NBA free agency is still in full swing, but there’s reason to already look ahead to July 2016. Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Kevin Durant will be a free agent next summer and just about every team will be doing whatever they can to acquire his services.

According to USA TODAY Sports NBA Insider Sam Amick, the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors are one of the leading contenders to land Durant next year.

It will be next to impossible for the Warriors to create enough cap space to just sign Durant and fit him under the cap. A sign and trade with the Thunder is by far the most likely scenario. Andre Iguodala will be entering the final year of his lucrative contract, so it makes sense he’d be one player definitely involved in the deal.

Even without Durant, the Warriors still may have the best team in the NBA. Adding Durant would without a doubt give Joe Lacob’s team one of the most talented rosters in recent memory. On paper, a starting lineup of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green and Andrew Bogut or Festus Ezeli has 70-win potential.

There is still a long way to go, but 2016 free agency in the NBA is shaping up to be one to remember.

Board brothers and sisters, please explain/share scenarios of how this could happen (player(s), salary(ies), etc.

Getting Durant would be quite incredible!

» Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:36 pm
I've watched basketball a long, long time and I'm seriously not sure if there's any way a lineup can even marginally defend a perimeter scoring threat of Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, and Klay Thompson. They can all hit out to 28 feet and they can all put it on the floor and get to the rim. It's almost unfair to even imagine.

That being said... I still put GS behind OKC and WAS, in regards of who the favorite is to land Durant...

Site Admin
» Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 am
I put GSW behind WAS, but ahead of OKC.

Normally I look at the financials, and OKC being the only team can give him 7.5% escalator as an outright FA, gives them an inherent advantage, but I've been burned too many times by not trusting the media when it comes to stuff like this. I say, where there's smoke there's fire. I know it's typical to hear rumors about big name, soon to be FAs, but it feels like it's for real this time.

If a sign and trade were on the table, then the 7.5% raises advantage is moot for a couple reasons. But I'm not sure we wouldn't be able to make it work without it. As I mentioned with Curry, even the smallest % can make a huge difference down the road, but the cap will go up by about $28 mil. Durant will be getting at least $25 mil with max, but he could sacrifice some if he takes into account that he'll still earn well above current max. Also, we could resign Curry a year early, with him and KD both agreeing to pay cuts like a Miami Big-3 player agreement. We've already shed enough cap with Lee, even more after we wipe Wallace from our books next off-season (regardless of what we do now, he'll still be off the books before then). We probably won't be able to resign/keep at least 1-2 guys like Barnes, Iggy, Ezeli, or Speights, and Barbosa and Rush will be gone so there's a little more room.

It sucks how max money and raises work, because there's no way for a win-win scenario; you're either asking the player to forfeit potentially 10s of millions, or the team is crippled. Even asking Curry and KD to take $2 mil less could end up costing them a lot down the road (not to act like $2 mil isn't a lot, but it's nothing compared to what they could lose later).

No matter what we do to get KD, whether that be a sign and trade or straight FA, we'll be into the tax. That's nothing new as we already are, and we're probably further into the tax now than we would be with KD and Curry's max money.

All Star
» Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:20 am
I don't understand why the luxury tax is important. Lacob is a billionaire. So why would luxury tax be a thing? Either you feel he's worth the tax or you don't. It's not my money. Lacob will be richer than God even if he goes over the tax, so why should we feel tight like it's our responsibility? If Lacob wants to sign a player bad enough, he can. There's no rule he can't spend extra money. What's the point of being rich if you won't treat yourself?

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:59 pm
I said a few months ago that there would big a good chance of Durant coming here and it may well happen. The team will be at about 69 million next offseason with Speights, McAdoo, Kuzmic and Rush out of contract and including them, only 13 players on the roster. Speights, if he performs like he did last season, will probably want at least 8 million a year for at least two years and with the salary cap going up to a reported approximately 90 million, that'd be good value. Before Speights resigns, the FO would have 21 million approximately to use under the increased salary cap and that may not be enough to please Durant but with Ezeli and Barnes having the QO for 2016-17, having an agreement with OKC and Durant to trade Barnes' last season at QO of 5.2 million for a future 2nd rounder and then having 26 million under the cap, that'd be enough to get Durant as a FA without making a direct trade for him. That may be a good and easiest way to get him and OKC would get a replacement for him that is cheap for one year.

Site Admin
» Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Stairway Man wrote:I don't understand why the luxury tax is important. Lacob is a billionaire. So why would luxury tax be a thing? Either you feel he's worth the tax or you don't. It's not my money. Lacob will be richer than God even if he goes over the tax, so why should we feel tight like it's our responsibility? If Lacob wants to sign a player bad enough, he can. There's no rule he can't spend extra money. What's the point of being rich if you won't treat yourself?

Lacob isn't a "billionaire"; his net worth is estimated around $325 million, but a big portion of that is due to his shares in the Dubs, so without those he doesn't have nearly that much. Collectively our ownership group is likely worth over a billion though.

Stairway Man wrote:Either you feel he's worth the tax or you don't... If Lacob wants to sign a player bad enough, he can.
It's really not that simple.
Stairway Man wrote:There's no rule he can't spend extra money.
Actually, there kind of is, and as with most rules, if you break it then you must pay a penalty - a penalty that become exponentially more sever depending on the offense...

I'm not sure you get how the tax works - it's not like our income or sales tax; this isn't Herman Cain's 9-9-9; it's compounding and incremental. We're not talking just an extra $1 for every $1 over the tax line, it's $actually $1.50/$1 for the first $5 mil over, $1.75 for every $1 over $10 mil - all the way up to $3.75 + $.50 for each additional $5 million above $20 mil. We're already $13 mil over the tax line - that's $25 mil of DEAD MONEY - meaning that ownership is forking over an extra $25 mil on top of the $98 mil in player contracts. That's not a trivial amount of money for anyone.

It gets worse too - if we grab KD @ $25/season next year, and we're already over the cap (unlikely, but it's an example), we'll become what's called "repeat offenders" and quick math tells me $25+ mil over the tax line is about $91.25 mil in tax alone, that'd be about as much as what we're actually paying in salaries! So KD would cost us ownership at least $115 mil per season alone.

Rich people don't get, and stay, rich by pissing away money. We're fortunate to have an owner with so much passion for our team, but at the end of the day, guys like Lacob, Cuban, and Ballmer, are very smart, shrewd, and successful businessmen that will put business first.

I get that part of what you're saying is, "why should us fans care?" but that's an awfully cavalier attitude for someone that was just sweating out how we were going to be able to keep Looney a few weeks ago.

My point is that the tax is a big deal. It can, and does, cripple lesser/stupidly ran teams. Take the Nets for example, this graphic was made in 2013 to show their cap penalties:
Yeah, poorly ran franchises will not survive in today's CBA. That's why everyone that's looking for the Lakers will get back on track is going to have to keep looking.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am
If you add Durant... is there enough shots to go around?

There's only 48 minutes in a game.. i don't know if he is a good fit. think i'd rather ability to pay Curry what his worth (and then some) and give Harrison Barnes a contract he deserves.

Site Admin
» Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:00 pm
PAWNO wrote:If you add Durant... is there enough shots to go around?

There's only 48 minutes in a game.. i don't know if he is a good fit. think i'd rather ability to pay Curry what his worth (and then some) and give Harrison Barnes a contract he deserves.

There's enough shots for one more shooter, especially one named Kevin Durant. Lower % and oft cold shooters like Green and Barnes (or if Iggy or Barnes leave in a S&T) will take less shots as a result of acquiring KD. Having KD will actually free up more looks for Curry and Klay. Right now we see too many forced and/or contested shots (any is too many for this roster), KD will add a whole new dimension with the automatic mid-range and ability to draw fouls. It really just means better looks and higher % attempts. Imagine our offense now, but shooting about 5% better and racking up 6-8 more points per game.

Imagine a small lineup of:
1. Curry
2. Klay
3. Iggy/Barnes
4. KD
5. Green

Sure, you could go inside, but there's not a defense in the history of basketball that could guard that.

Franchise Player
» Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 pm
I think I am good with this current championship winning core.

Only way we get Durant is in sign and trade... i imagine Iggy/Barnes somehow in equation.

Site Admin
» Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 am
PAWNO wrote:I think I am good with this current championship winning core.

Only way we get Durant is in sign and trade... i imagine Iggy/Barnes somehow in equation.

Actually, that's not the only way, we could make it work as a straight FA signing, but we'll definitely not be able to bring back either Ezeli or Barnes, or neither. I started drafting a quick spreadsheet to show our most likely scenario for a outright signing, I'll post it later, but basically we'll probably end up extending Steph at the same time (a year early) and both will need to take pay cuts at $25 mil (believe me, that would be a bargain for either with the new cap).

All Star
» Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:28 pm
If Barnes continues to improve and work on his weaknesses, then I'm not even complaining. We have the right team. However, if I was Kevin Durant, I would sign with the Warriors. I don't believe he's going to have a better chance if he signs with Washington or OKC.

Site Admin
» Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 pm
Stairway Man wrote:If Barnes continues to improve and work on his weaknesses, then I'm not even complaining. We have the right team. However, if I was Kevin Durant, I would sign with the Warriors. I don't believe he's going to have a better chance if he signs with Washington or OKC.

To win a championship? Nope. But a better chance to make a lot more money? Yup. OKC can pay him the most, and the Wiz would trade the franchise for him. All we can offer is jewelry... Lot's and LOT'S of jewelry.

All Star
» Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 pm
But Durant already has a lot of money. Why would he want more money when he can still make a lot of money and win championships? I don't understand why some people need every little dollar more. How will it change their lives? Think about that. And don't just say it's BUSINESS. I'm talking about Life. How will it change their life? What's the difference between 150 million and 110 million for instance? How are you going to live differently? If you're MC Hammer it doesn't matter how much money you have, you'll lose it.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm
JREED wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:If Barnes continues to improve and work on his weaknesses, then I'm not even complaining. We have the right team. However, if I was Kevin Durant, I would sign with the Warriors. I don't believe he's going to have a better chance if he signs with Washington or OKC.

To win a championship? Nope. But a better chance to make a lot more money? Yup. OKC can pay him the most, and the Wiz would trade the franchise for him. All we can offer is jewelry... Lot's and LOT'S of jewelry.

You know what, and I'm surprised Aldridge didn't do this when signing with San Antonio, Durant could sign a one year deal with the team and then resign for the max and make all the money. That's really how teams can get the players they want, by having an agreement to sign them for one year and then resign them for the max salary and years, nothing lost for that player. That is also the way to fit a player on the team without not being able to fit him within the salary cap. We might even see some star players sign small salary one year deals, fitting within the team's cap and then resigning for max salary, with that team being able to do that and going into the luxury tax territory if needed. That could actually be what the near future holds and the nba being a league with a few powerhouse teams, having total salaries that are extremely high and lesser quality teams with far less total salary.

All Star
» Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:46 am
Why get Durant when we got Jason Thompson? 8)