Warriors cannot beat Memphis in a grindout game

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sat May 09, 2015 6:51 pm
JREED wrote:Jesus man.. I came here to somewhat acknowledge that we might be in trouble, but you're taking it way too far. This has to be the worst knee-jerk reaction I've read thus far. I'd also like to point out that your OP didn't cite Curry or Klay's shooting, but at least you admit that's the problem and not trying to give the Grizz credit for our horrendous shooting.

If we even remotely even shoot like how we always do then we would have the lead in this series and this game.

Sure it's only game 3 but once the series is over, you will have to tell me I was right. We can't beat this team. They are too big and slow for us. Splash Bros can't hit shots because they are rattled and Memphis has good defense.

Site Admin
» Mon May 11, 2015 12:37 am
I really have to ask, are we watching the same series? You can really look at this and tell me that you think this just boils down to Memphis being the better team and not the Warriors completely shitting the bed? So what, the regular season was just a fluke?

Regardless if they win or lose, I won't be telling you you're right because I don't believe you are. Memphis is not making us miss FTs; they have had nothing to do with at least 1/4 of our turnovers and missed wide-open shots; they might as well not even be on the floor. The Warriors are losing this; Curry and Klay look completely apathetic because their shots aren't falling; Memphis is not beating us, they are just not getting in the way of us self-destructing.

This is all the result of a very talented team that hasn't faced any adversity being forced into uncomfortable and new territory. Sure Memphis is fostering that uncomfortably, but the Warriors are caving into it. Steph does not look like the MVP with the poise and killer instinct we've come to expect. I'll give some credit to Allen for getting inside Klay's head, and them fostering our loss of composure, but good teams overcome that and find ways to regain their poise and win. The Warriors haven't done that. My point is that this is going to happen, and the team needs to learn how to work through it. I'm not saying they definitely will, but none of this is anything new, and they certainly wouldn't be the first great, and ultimately victorious, team to go down in a series that they look like they might lose.

This series brings to mind so many past playoff series that ended up being comebacks - many of which looked far worse than being down 1-2. While I'm assuming you may have not seen some of those (or remember), I'm sure you can recall some like the 06 Heat being down 0-2, 06 Sun's down 1-3, or maybe the '12 Thunder being down 0-2 to your invincible Spurs. Nobody gave OKC a chance (many expect the Warriors to still win), beyond that there were a lot of similarities. Also, those aren't even fair comparisons because most of those series looked far more bleak than this one. If the Dubs pull this out without going down 1-3, it won't even be considered a top 50 comeback. If they do lose game 4 and take then next 3 then it'll only be about the 10th time that's happened.

You're mad, and it's ok, I am too, but I'd hardly consider a 1-2 series to be over by any means.. If they lose game 4, then it's 99% over, but if they win then it's 2-2 going back to Oakland. Anyways, I'd much rather discuss the reality of the series than try to argue the obvious fact that a 2-1 series isn't over - especially considering how ridiculous the counter is. Does it look good? Nope, not by any means. There are plenty of stats and applicable historic indicators I could throw out there to attempt to convince you that, but it's a waste of time because you clearly don't care and would rather dwell. Anyways, hope you can at least enjoy the 2 game we have left, and any after that.

All Star
» Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 am
Look. At the gym, They are even all saying that the Warriors have no chance. Klay and Curry are missing shots also because they are shook. Nervous and rattled. But also because Memphis is making them grind. They are making them frustrated, they swarm them, and the Splash Bros just have no time or room to shoot. That is why they have had back to back horrific games. Do you think that back to back horrific games is a coincidence? Warriors were like 40 and 0 when teams score less than 100. Now they have lost back to back and not even scored 100 themselves. It's just not a coincidence. Memphis doesn't have to do anything special to beat Golden State. What they have to do is simple for them. Either give the ball to Gasol or Randolph and then just back Green down and make an easy shot and get Green flustered. So are you telling me that they were cold based on coincidence? Or is it more of Memphis inflicting their will... listened to the radio and callers say Warriors are done. The reason it is over is not because it's 2 to 1, but because Memphis doesn't have to do anything special to be successful against us. We rely on great shooting nights, where as Memphis's bigs can match them whenever they want. They just get close to the basket and put the ball in over Green. It's as simple as that for them. They don't have to work hard for success and that's why they are winning. Like seriously, Green makes Randolph look like Hakeem.

Let me have u think of it this way. What's easier. For Curry and Klay to make miraculous shots when Conley and Allen are all up in them and also in their heads or for Gasol and Randolph to just back Green down and make a 2 foot shot?

Rookie
» Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm
Stairway Man is correct in the fact that the Warriors poor performance is no coincidence. Memphis is playing very well on both ends of the court. Their defense has been just great. I don't really think their offense is the reason they have won two games however. The Warriors need to change their defensive strategy and start doubling more on Gasol and Randolph. Those doubles are coming too late. If they can double earlier and possibly force some turnovers they may be able to get into more of a running game and get loose. Right now they are very tight. If Memphis beats them by finding the open man and knocking down outside shots then so be it, but they can't go on playing these games the way they are. It's obviously not working.

The Warriors' cold shooting is totally the result of the Grizzlies' defense. They are in that ass and in their heads. You don't go from being a lights out shooting team to shooting as poorly as the Warriors are just randomly. This is the other strategy the Warriors must change. Go inside out. They need to get the ball in the post and score. Barnes and.....maybe David Lee? I don't know, but they need to get some inside scoring going, because what they are doing on the perimeter is not getting it done. If they can score inside it will open up the outside and get the shooters feeling more comfortable.

This game is the biggest test of the year so far for Steve Kerr. He's got to make some changes. Let's see what he is capable of.

All Star
» Mon May 11, 2015 3:55 pm
Lee may be the answer if we are to have a shot. Earlier in the year when Lee was not playing much, they said at some point in time he's going to come in and win you a game. So this series could be his shot to prove himself.

Site Admin
» Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm
The people at the gym are not the authority on basketball, nor can they predicted the future. People react like this literally all the time, it doesn't make them right. After the Rockets gave up after game 1, everyone said the Clips would sweep, then the consensus completely waffled after they won game 2, now, after game 3, we're right back to where we were after game 1. Or how the mighty Spurs were back at it again controlling the round 1 series 2-1. The sports fan community is by and large schizophrenic with a big helping of bipolar, so I don't trust their opinion anymore than Stephen A. Smith, Barkley, or any of the other walking click-bait whores. I certainly don't let any thing they say dictate my opinion.

I never once said any of this was a coincidence, and I've acknowledged several times that Memphis is a good team and a bad matchup for us, but I've also said repeatedly that this is what happens in the playoffs. Very few teams completely avoid adversity and challenges along the road to the finals. Steve Kerr said it best when he said game 4 would be "our moment of truth." The point being is that this team is undoubtedly good - great (regardless of how you feel, that is the consensus is, win or lose, since you place so much value in how others feel), but they need to do what makes makes teams great: adjust and battle through.

It's not just a facade that the players and coaches are in better spirits after game 3 despite the loss. Game 2 stunned them, because they got cocky and had a draining couple of days coming off the MVP stuff, but they thought probably figured they'd be able to bounce back (i actually think the long break hurt because they had time to wash the taste out of their mouths, game 3 is still fresh), but they did find some success with the double team.

I expect the Warriors to go for broke tonight and be very aggressive defensively. Double teams will come early and often on their bigs, and we'll try to force them to become a perimeter team as much as possible. You act like they're killing us in the low post, but they aren't - they want nothing to do with making Bogut relevant so they force him to come out of the paint to guard the elbow and mid range, thus force him out of the game. It's a good strategy, but if the Warriors can take that away and either force them inside, in traffic, or keep it out on the 3-pt line, then we're looking at a much different series - the D will fuel the break, or at the very least we'll trade outside jumpers.

It isn't just black and white, "oh well, guess we just can't beat em." We can win, but at this point I think you'd rather just dwell and at least take solace in being "right." I you actually want to talk about the series, rather than trying to convince us why we shouldn't continue to be fans and root for our team, then cool, but I'll be ignoring anymore if these future sky-is-falling posts.

Site Admin
» Mon May 11, 2015 6:28 pm
J1000 wrote:Stairway Man is correct in the fact that the Warriors poor performance is no coincidence. Memphis is playing very well on both ends of the court. Their defense has been just great. I don't really think their offense is the reason they have won two games however. The Warriors need to change their defensive strategy and start doubling more on Gasol and Randolph. Those doubles are coming too late. If they can double earlier and possibly force some turnovers they may be able to get into more of a running game and get loose. Right now they are very tight. If Memphis beats them by finding the open man and knocking down outside shots then so be it, but they can't go on playing these games the way they are. It's obviously not working.

I know I submitted that last post after you submitted this, but nobody is arguing that this is a coincidence, nor am I completely stripping the Grizz of any or all credit (especially not after game 3), but this is at least 60% on the Warriors and their inability to execute and loss of composure - the remaining 40% is the Grizz fostering that loss of composure and frustrating us on our defensive side of the floor. We are allowing them to do this to us.  In the past 3 seasons, how many games can you recall us winning while not playing well defensively?  I’m not talking stats – if Memphis had half the offense the Clippers, Rockets, Cavs, or pretty much any other playoff team has then these games would be huge blowouts – I’m talking pace and teams getting what they want.  Our defense is our offense. The core problem is what they're doing to us when they have the ball, it completely sets the tone for both ends.

J1000 wrote:The Warriors' cold shooting is totally the result of the Grizzlies' defense. They are in that ass and in their heads. You don't go from being a lights out shooting team to shooting as poorly as the Warriors are just randomly. This is the other strategy the Warriors must change. Go inside out. They need to get the ball in the post and score. Barnes and.....maybe David Lee? I don't know, but they need to get some inside scoring going, because what they are doing on the perimeter is not getting it done. If they can score inside it will open up the outside and get the shooters feeling more comfortable.

It’s a little funny we’re all talking coincidences in parity of praising the Memphis defense of our bad 3-pt shooting (in both games 2 and 3 the Dubs had significantly better 2FG% with 52% vs 47% and 54% vs 48% respectively), yet nobody has brought up the only other time in the past 3 seasons that the Dubs hit 23% or less from 3 in back-to-back games…  That would have been in last year’s playoffs, game 2 and game 3!!! Well, that must mean we can expect a 15-32 game 4 from 3-land by the “live by the 3; die by the 3” Dubs!  It’s hard to make a proper correlation between these two series, because while the Dubs did win both game 1s, this one was much more one sided; we did drop both game 2s, but the Clips handled us by 40 then; still, that series did still go 7.  I’d say the biggest difference is actually the opposite side of the same coin as the biggest similarity (Dubs bad shooting) – the ’14-’15 Grizzlies are a much better defensive team than the ’13-’14 Clippers, yet the Warriors were “held” to their two worst 3-pt shooting streaks in over three seasons.  Once again, it happens - 110 times to just the Warriors in the 3-pt era to be exact – 3 times a season on average (for clarity, we're still talking about >1 game streaks, not games).

Let's also not forget what happened to the Grizz last postseason. I'm sure we are all aware that they had the same 2-1 lead on the favorite Thunder team, after he won MVP. They said very similar things about that team and Durrant as people (stairway, people at his gym, etc) are saying now, but they still won. Yeah, they weren't "championship" but they still got past the ring-less Grizz.

J1000 wrote:This game is the biggest test of the year so far for Steve Kerr. He's got to make some changes. Let's see what he is capable of.
Agreed, but I dont have faith that Lee will have a real impact. He might get some stats, but we all know that means nothing with him. Remember, we need someone to double and play good, smart, team D, without fouling - that's the opposite of David Lee. I hope I'm wrong on that one. I already stated what I believe we need to do in my last post.

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 pm
Warriors cannot beat Memphis in a grindout game

Golden State Warriors 101 - Memphis Grizzlies 84

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 11, 2015 9:18 pm
a few take-aways...

> Huge, must-win team win. Looked more like the usual Warriors.
> Klay guarding Conley was HUGE! Totally disrupted the Grizzlies flow since Conley's their general. Keep that for game 5.
> Dray is dribbling too much, acting as PG, 7 TO's this game. get Iggy, Klay more involved as playmakers / ballhandlers.
> D Lee got us 5+ extra possessions with his hustle. Even if he doesn't shoot, it means the other team needs to be pay attention to him in the paint = spacing and relief for Splash Bros.
> Kerr tightened his rotation, played starters longer, as he should to keep up with Grizzlies doing it.
2-2, back to Oracle, let's get it!

Site Admin
» Mon May 11, 2015 9:37 pm
rockyBeli wrote:a few take-aways...

Huge, must-win team win. Looked more like the usual Warriors.
Dray is dribbling too much, acting as PG, 7 TO's this game. get Iggy, Klay more involved as playmakers / ballhandlers.
D Lee got us 5+ extra possessions with his hustle. Even if he doesn't shoot, it means the other team needs to be pay attention to him in the paint = spacing and relief for Splash Bros.
Kerr tightened his rotation, played starters longer, as he should to keep up with Grizzlies doing it.
2-2, back to Oracle, let's get it!
Great assessment, I completely agree. As I said in the game thread, Lee surprised the hell out of me, and he only had a couple classic, stupid D-Lee fouls. Very unlike Lee to not turn heads on the stat sheet yet really help the team out, instead of the other way around.

The Dubs are who we thought they were! They did exactly what I thought they would, and didn't disappoint one bit. They took away the mid range game that Gasol and ZBo were murdering us with, which turned them into a parameter offense (Allen, lol), and allowed Bogut to stay on the floor. It all started on the defensive side of the floor.

Great game. It's nice to see this Dubs team back.