J1000 wrote:Stairway Man is correct in the fact that the Warriors poor performance is no coincidence. Memphis is playing very well on both ends of the court. Their defense has been just great. I don't really think their offense is the reason they have won two games however. The Warriors need to change their defensive strategy and start doubling more on Gasol and Randolph. Those doubles are coming too late. If they can double earlier and possibly force some turnovers they may be able to get into more of a running game and get loose. Right now they are very tight. If Memphis beats them by finding the open man and knocking down outside shots then so be it, but they can't go on playing these games the way they are. It's obviously not working.
I know I submitted that last post after you submitted this, but nobody is arguing that this is a coincidence, nor am I completely stripping the Grizz of any or all credit (especially not after game 3), but this is at least 60% on the Warriors and their inability to execute and loss of composure - the remaining 40% is the Grizz fostering that loss of composure and frustrating us on our defensive side of the floor. We are allowing them to do this to us. In the past 3 seasons, how many games can you recall us winning while not playing well defensively? I’m not talking stats – if Memphis had half the offense the Clippers, Rockets, Cavs, or pretty much any other playoff team has then these games would be huge blowouts – I’m talking pace and teams getting what they want. Our defense is our offense. The core problem is what they're doing to us when they have the ball, it completely sets the tone for both ends.
J1000 wrote:The Warriors' cold shooting is totally the result of the Grizzlies' defense. They are in that ass and in their heads. You don't go from being a lights out shooting team to shooting as poorly as the Warriors are just randomly. This is the other strategy the Warriors must change. Go inside out. They need to get the ball in the post and score. Barnes and.....maybe David Lee? I don't know, but they need to get some inside scoring going, because what they are doing on the perimeter is not getting it done. If they can score inside it will open up the outside and get the shooters feeling more comfortable.
It’s a little funny we’re all talking coincidences in parity of praising the Memphis defense of our bad 3-pt shooting (in both games 2 and 3 the Dubs had significantly better 2FG% with 52% vs 47% and 54% vs 48% respectively), yet nobody has brought up the only other time in the past 3 seasons that the Dubs hit 23% or less from 3 in back-to-back games… That would have been in last year’s playoffs, game 2 and game 3!!! Well, that must mean we can expect a 15-32 game 4 from 3-land by the “live by the 3; die by the 3” Dubs! It’s hard to make a proper correlation between these two series, because while the Dubs did win both game 1s, this one was much more one sided; we did drop both game 2s, but the Clips handled us by 40 then; still, that series did still go 7. I’d say the biggest difference is actually the opposite side of the same coin as the biggest similarity (Dubs bad shooting) – the ’14-’15 Grizzlies are a much better defensive team than the ’13-’14 Clippers, yet the Warriors were “held” to their two worst 3-pt shooting streaks in over three seasons. Once again, it happens - 110 times to just the Warriors in the 3-pt era to be exact – 3 times a season on average (for clarity, we're still talking about >1 game streaks, not games).
Let's also not forget what happened to the Grizz last postseason. I'm sure we are all aware that they had the same 2-1 lead on the favorite Thunder team, after he won MVP. They said very similar things about that team and Durrant as people (stairway, people at his gym, etc) are saying now, but they still won. Yeah, they weren't "championship" but they still got past the ring-less Grizz.
J1000 wrote:This game is the biggest test of the year so far for Steve Kerr. He's got to make some changes. Let's see what he is capable of.
Agreed, but I dont have faith that Lee will have a real impact. He might get some stats, but we all know that means nothing with him. Remember, we need someone to double and play good, smart, team D, without fouling - that's the opposite of David Lee. I hope I'm wrong on that one. I already stated what I believe we need to do in my last post.