Warriors cannot beat Memphis in a grindout game

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Wed May 06, 2015 1:47 am
It sucks and stings but it appears that the Memphis Grizzlies have figured out the Warriors. With Conley, they know how to play us physically. They controlled the whole game on our home court and sucked the life out of the building. I just don't see how we can beat this team. They are too good defensively and are a terrible match up for us. Randolph and Gasol are getting whatever they want. And Curry is struggling and having a hard time penetrating against the Memphis's back court.

Memphis had Conley injured and the Warriors had no excuse. If the Grizzlies stay focused and get us to play their slow game, the series favors them.

Now People might think we played bad but the reality is that the Grizzlies controlled us and forced us into taking hard shots. The MVP hangover is not an excuse either. If it is, then this team is not ready.

What should we do in the off season? Assuming we lose to Memphis, does that make Green less valuable?

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 am

Don't worry. We've got this.

All Star
» Wed May 06, 2015 10:05 am
Ringo! Really? Jesse Pinkman is your response? This is serious. Memphis has always owned us and they have figured us out again. What else are we going to do???

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 06, 2015 2:45 pm
You don't like Jesse Pinkman? How about this one then?
Memphis don't own us. We just had a bad shooting night. It hasn't happened that often this season but it does happen. Klay averaged over 60% fg shooting in the 3 regular season games against Memphis so they certainly don't own him. I'm confident he'll bounce back.

All Star
» Wed May 06, 2015 3:33 pm
Ringo wrote:Memphis don't own us. We just had a bad shooting night. It hasn't happened that often this season but it does happen. Klay averaged over 60% fg shooting in the 3 regular season games against Memphis so they certainly don't own him. I'm confident he'll bounce back.

Memphis does own us. They are 2 and 1 vs us this year with Conley. They have owned us for years. They just out muscle us in the paint.

Conley and Allen do whatever they want vs our back court. It will be a sad day when the Warriors get eliminated. If the Grizzlies get Warriors to keep playing this place, there is no way we can win.

Site Admin
» Thu May 07, 2015 5:24 pm
I get what you're saying, but it's the tone in which you say (type) it... All of your threads are so pessimistic, someone would have no idea that the Warriors were any good by just reading your posts.

You're right though, the Grizz forced us to play their pace, but you're giving them a little too much credit. Everyone thinks the key is to mitigate Curry and Klay offensively, but very few teams had had any success in the department all season. I've said all year that the key to stopping the Warriors is to beat them offensively inside with good scoring bigs, to maintain composure and not lose your head when they play their pesky D, plug the lanes, get Dray and/or Bogut in foul trouble early, and pray Klay and Curry don't light you up from 3. That last one was at least 60-70% on the Warriors as they were missing wide-open looks, layups, and dunks. Sure there were some tough shots, and some horrible ones, but we've seen this backcourt cash those in plenty of times.

Hats off to the Grizz - who are probably our worst matchup - they took advantage of us. They didn't play their best ball, but they didn't what was necessary to beat us and not allow us to gain control of the game. It really started with Draymond getting two quick fouls, the second of which was an obviously bad call - he and Barbosa were the only Warriors over in +/- (+6 and +8, respectively), but I'm not blaming the refs.

There is such a thing as the MVP hangover (literally and figuratively), and while that probably should be much of an excuse for the Warriors as a whole (WTF Klay!?), but you try doing a hundred interviews, two ceremonies, one very emotional speech, being handed the biggest accolade of your life and of your profession, coming off a decisive game 1 victory, find out the other team's star PG has comeback from the dead to guard you, and play game 2 of the Conference Semis all in 48 hours. Our best player - the guy that is the single biggest reason why we're relevant, let alone the best team in the NBA - had a bad game. Do you honestly believe he's going to go 2-11 from 3 again? How about the team going 6-26? Klay 1-6?

It's one game. There's a reason why they play best of 7 in the NBA and not just 1-and-done like the NFL, that's because EVERYONE has a bad game occasionally. And you know what's crazy about it? We played like sh*t and we still could have beat them. I bet Grizz fans were feeling just as, if not more, uneasy and bad about that game down the stretch as Dubs fans. We let them off the hook more times that I care to remember - had we capitalized just once then we would have won. Instead, we bailed them out with TOs and bricks/air-balls.

Keep your chin up, there's a lot to be optimistic about - You already know the obvious positives (we won't continue to shoot like that, Dray, Curry, etc.), but the Warriors are actually really good when they have 4 or more days off (haven't lost all season), so there's that. You might not want to count game 81 of the season, but everyone in this series does - I was there and I saw the Warriors completely demoralize this squad (-Conley, of course). It's the playoffs man, it's supposed to be hard.

All Star
» Thu May 07, 2015 8:46 pm
J. Reed. Last game Memphis handled us the way they handled us for years. We are better than them but they are a tough match up. Keep in mind that they were the 2nd best team for the majority of the season. They were right behind us until they had a mini implosion. We continue to think that this Memphis team is just like any other. But they aren't. They are the memphis grizzlies. They beat us up physically. They have had us down for years, they were the one team we couldn't overcome. Mike Conley makes the difference. I hope I am wrong but the way I see it is they are too physical for us. Even if Bogut forces Randolph into a missed jumper, they seem to get the rebound or loose ball in one way or another. That's what I saw. It's about mentality too. Psychologically they are not scared of the Warriors. Allen surely isn't backing down.

Starting Lineup
» Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 pm
Stairway, I agree with Jreed. Our guys aren't going to play that poorly again. I know you don't think so, but we're better than the Grizzlies. First you suggested that we should tank to avoid OKC in the first round. Then you said that we couldn't beat the Spurs or the Cavs. And now you're giving us no chance against the Grizzlies. There is a reason why we won 67 games during the regular season. The Warriors are the best team in the NBA. I still think we'll win this series in 6 games but if we have to wait until game 7 then so be it. This year is our best chance to win an NBA Championship.

Rookie
» Fri May 08, 2015 1:23 am
I have seen way too many of these 7 game series' to make any assumptions after just 2 games. How many times do you have a team lose a game at home, it's a 1-1 series, and people are going "look out, they're in trouble"? Come on man this happens all the time. All they have to do is win one in Memphis and things are right back where you expect them to be. Let's not get all excited so early on folks. It always cracks me up when people overreact like this. I mean...to be honest...it would not surprise me if the Warriors go into Memphis and win both.

It's not saying Memphis can't win....I'm just saying.....every time you play a team, you learn something else about them. If you are well-coached, you make adjustments. The next game is a different game. And it goes on like that for 7 games (if necessary). Just because one game goes one way doesn't mean the rest of them will. I mean seriously. It's the whole reason we watch sports. The unexpected.

All Star
» Fri May 08, 2015 4:26 pm
We are the best team in the NBA but it's all about match ups. I'm sure Dallas felt confident against us in 07, but they couldn't pull it off.

Rookie
» Fri May 08, 2015 11:41 pm
The reason they beat Dallas is because Nelson had coached the team and knew what they liked to do inside out.

Site Admin
» Sat May 09, 2015 1:33 pm
Yeah, Nelly's We Believe Warriors vs the Mavs was a perfect sh*tstorm. That was the quintessential example of being out coached, with the drunken riverboat gambler of a veteran HC against a former player and assistant coach (whom didn't last long after because it was obvious that he was carried by a ridiculously loaded roster) coaching his former team.

Contrary to similarities Stairway pointed out, the Warriors had a lot more success against those Mavs (3-0 with 2 blowouts) than these Grizzlies have had against the Kerr led Dubs. And obviously everything J1000 said, and what I had said in the last paragraph.

If we get down 1-2 tonight, and lose in a more convincing fashion (rather than just handing them the game), then I'll secede my optimistic stance and join you in reverting back to classic Warriors fans' despondency. For now though, we're still the team to beat and I am confident that our guys will go out there and remind everyone of that.

All Star
» Sat May 09, 2015 4:38 pm
I hope you're right JREED. But if they play like last game, they won't do very good.

All Star
» Sat May 09, 2015 6:09 pm
Warriors down 15. Like I said, Curry and Klay can't shoot well, we can't play vs their bigs. It's over. Nice season.

Site Admin
» Sat May 09, 2015 6:43 pm
Jesus man.. I came here to somewhat acknowledge that we might be in trouble, but you're taking it way too far. This has to be the worst knee-jerk reaction I've read thus far. I'd also like to point out that your OP didn't cite Curry or Klay's shooting, but at least you admit that's the problem and not trying to give the Grizz credit for our horrendous shooting.

If we even remotely even shoot like how we always do then we would have the lead in this series and this game.