Warriors 2015 playoff thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm
The Warriors have comfortably swept the Pelicans in the 1st round with game 3 being the only time that we were truly threatened. The main plus, unlike most of the other teams in the playoffs, is that so far we're injury free which is the most important thing at this time of year. We now get to sit back and rest while we wait for the winner of the Grizzlies and Blazers. And now with Conley out injured and the Blazers winning game 4 today, this series might get interesting with the Griz ripe for the picking. I'm hoping that the Blazers extend the series a bit longer but regardless of who gets through, I don't expect either team to challenge the Warriors. The conference finals should be our first real test.

Site Admin
» Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:49 pm
Well those other teams are just doing it wrong. What they should've done is STEAL THE SOULS of the other team in game 3 with a 20 pt 4th quarter comeback. It really makes a big difference. 8)

I don't really feel like the Warriors need much rest actually, but if history is any indication then it won't hurt either - the 4 times they've had >3 days of rest, they've won (once 5 and 9 days).

Hall of Famer
» Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:17 pm
Memphis won tonight and so face the Warriors. If Conley is injured for any of the games, that'd be a huge advantage for us. Should be a good series but I think the team will win in four or five.

Starting Lineup
» Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:54 am
Yeah, the Grizzlies should be a good matchup. Our back court versus their front court. Their guards will struggle to defend Curry and Thompson whereas Bogut and Green will do a better job of defending Gasol and Randolph. The big difference will be our bench which I think is the best in the NBA.

I'll be interested to see how Houston go against Spurs/Clippers.

All Star
» Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 pm
If the Clippers win, we got a good shot

Hall of Famer
» Fri May 01, 2015 6:31 pm
I think matchup wise that the team has a rather big advantage over the Grizz. Even with Conley healthy their backcourt doesn't score much and even if they went with TAllen starts at SG, they won't slow down Curry and Klay much at all. DGreen and Bogut can slow down Randolph and MGasol and if DGreen can hit the outside shot that will open up the lane area for others to score easier. Think Barnes is more effective than JGreen and might even score as much as him. JGreen is only a scorer and does little else while Barnes defends and rebounds. Our bench is also much better and it'll be interesting how Iguodala performs, think he'll have a biggish series. Think Kerr should play Speights alot more than he did against NO as Speights can stretch the Grizz defense, especially if he is at Center against MGasol. That'd take their only shotblocker out of the lane area.

As much as it'd be easier for us to play the Clips than Spurs, I like San Antonio and if we weren't to win it all I'd want San Antonio to.

Starting Lineup
» Sun May 03, 2015 6:45 pm
Kerr is now only the 5th coach to ever win their first 5 consecutive playoff games. If we win the next game, he'll be in outright 3rd place on that list behind Pat Riley in 1982 and Johnny Kundla in 1949. It's fair to say that the coach has had a good first season.

Hall of Famer
» Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 pm
Kerr has done great and might well have his name high on a number of coaching lists after this season.

Starting Lineup
» Sat May 16, 2015 4:16 am
Well done Warriors!!! See you later Memphis.

I'd personally like to see the Clippers get through to the conference finals given the rivalry that has grown between us and them over the last few years. But it doesn't really matter whether it's the Clippers or the Rockets as I believe the Warriors are better than both teams.

Site Admin
» Sat May 16, 2015 3:24 pm
I agree that the Dubs are the better team, but personally, I have pros and cons for each of our potential WCF opponent. I think the Clips will be the easier series for the Dubs at this point. Despite us owning the Rockets in the regular season, I think we all know this is a different Houston team. On the other hand, I'm very apprehensive about playing the Clips with how the officiating has been this postseason. Can you imagine what the injury report would look like if we played the dirtiest team in the league, with how physical and straight up out of hand the refs have let these games get? On top of being two of the, if not the, biggest rivals in the NBA, Barnes, Jordan, and Paul are going to be out looking for blood.

Something tells me Barnes is not #joke'ing:

Just the other night:

Not to mention Chris Paul's personal crusade to ensure someone can't have kids anymore:
CP3 boxes out Kaman's nuts
This is the most obvious and intentional - being doing this since Wake Forest
We could be here all day...
I think you get the point

So it's tough call for me. Easier matchup or not run a 99% risk of injury...

Hall of Famer
» Sat May 16, 2015 8:13 pm
Think the Clips would be easier because they play little defense and a thin on the bench. Houston has woken up and have good depth, not like us but still good. Dwight can be more of a monster than DJordan to say the least and they may have found something starting JSmith and Terry. Either way, we're better than both.

» Sun May 17, 2015 10:59 am
The Warriors WANT the Clippers, to exercise those demons from last year, but I think the safer bet is the Houston team we swept 3-0 this year. There's no shortage of story lines there, either. The battle of the MVP vs the runner-up, the "they aren't that good" segment, the fact that the Warriors were the next runners up in the Howard sweepstakes... plenty of things to talk about.

Either way, McHale & Rivers are both proven playoff chokers who aren't known for getting past the 3rd round. I'm truly fine either way.

Site Admin
» Sun May 17, 2015 1:37 pm
Actually the Warriors were 4-0 against the Rockets, 32. While we absolutely handled the Rockets during the season, this is a different Rockets team because they have made some changes, and are no longer the injury-ridden, Harden Hero Ballers.

Twice we played them without Howard, and once he was no where near 100%, so basically just once we've played Howard. They also didn't have J.Smooth playing like only J.Smooth and his mom thought he could. This team is also playing much better team ball and defense - even better than the top 5 D they were all season - thanks to less James "PUT DA TEAM ON MY BACK DOE" Harden.

On the other hand, they don't have Motiejunas, which is a huge blow, or Beverly which might be even bigger (we did only face Patrick about 2.5 times though). So there's some give and take, but there's no doubt that, while they're inconsistent (same with the Clippers), they are a much better team right now.

Then there's the whole, "if we're going to advance to the Finals we'll need to go at least 8-3 against the 2nd seed in the West", narrative. I'm a big fan of historical correlation, but the baseball fan in me is a little concerned that they might be due to string together a couple wins. Neither team scares me, but the Clips just feel like the easier target. It's a bad matchup for both of them because we do everything they do but much better on a far more consistent basis.

Honestly, both matchups offer a great narrative, but the Hollywood tale for the Rockets bodes well in their favor: the big, bad, no. 1 seed Warriors that swept them, MVP runner up swallowing his pride for team ball, Josh Smith redemption, etc. Not that I read anything into that, but I like the idea of the Clips narrative better: Warriors beat the dirtiest team in the league that ended their season last year.

Rookie
» Sun May 17, 2015 4:15 pm
This is very cool. The Warriors are in the conference finals! I've been following this team since the late 70s. I am too young to remember the championship team. The last time they've gone this far is 75-76, the year after the championship. They have had some playoff teams, but it's been basically 40 years since they have had this good of a season. And the best one I have seen yet.

This is a great time to be a Warrior fan. And I love this team. Very team-focused, unselfish, fundamentally strong, defensive-minded, and talented. I think they even may have enough to win it all. None of the teams in the league particularly stand out above the rest. I guess I would give the Cavs the edge right now, simply because they have the best player. Usually, everything else being equal, the team with the best player wins. But I could also see the Warriors winning it all, because their overall talent is so deep. Anyway, I am excited to watch. It is a lot more fun watching the playoffs when your favorite team continues to advance. I think they match up well against Houston, and should be able to get to the finals. It will be interesting and entertaining for sure.

Hall of Famer
» Sun May 17, 2015 5:40 pm
Houston is the opponent. Houston is much stronger now than in any game the team played them and are on a roll, confidence higher than any time all season.

Think it will actually come down to our bench outplaying theirs. Curry has to score as much as Harden at least, Klay has to score as much as Terry and the difference between Dwight/JSmith and Bogut/Green. Be interesting how Bogut goes against Dwight, as Dwight has come alive the last few games of their last series. JSmith has also come alive and Green has to slow him, which he likely will do as he is the best equipped to do so. It'll be on offense where Green could be a major difference maker. JSmith can actually defend pretty well on the perimeter but if Green can make some threes and take it to the basket occasionally, it'll give the team a big plus. Barnes v Ariza could be the X-Factor. Ariza has been real good their last two games and if Barnes can at least equal him it'll take away from them. Hopefully Speights will be good to go for the first game because his instant scoring will be needed.

Really think the team will find the right way to play Houston right away from the start and think they'll win in 5.