Are we being had by Kerr/Lee?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:14 am
Well, I suppose Lee's numbers are low, but when you're only playing 15 minutes it can sometimes demotivate you or stop certain players from getting a rhythm. It's just that based on my eyes when I saw him the couple times I watched, he didn't look too bad.

But the question is would you rather have David Lee than Jason Thompson? I didn't realize how not so good Jason Thompson is. He has played the most games in Sacramento, so he does have that. But it seems like Jason Thompson doesn't have that big of a role in our system. Lee had some big baskets last year in the playoffs and finals. I miss him and his heart.

To me, Lee lost his touch once he lost his muscles. A couple years ago after getting injured in the playoffs, he decided to go on a weight loss regimen. He lost a lot of weight, but looked like he lost a lot of muscle in the process to help him gain speed. Seems like he was better off when he had more meat on his body. He went from an All Star to a weakling. That's been Lee's problem in my opinion. He doesn't look as strong. Look at how massive he looked on the Knicks.

All Star
» Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:53 am
I think we should take Lee back. I feel bad for him to be quite frank. He's not getting a lot of playing time in Boston either. After seeing him at the Whitehouse, I realize that he loved being a Warrior. Why not get him back to play a 3rd string? He's better than Jason Thompson after all.

» Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 am
At the time, we traded David Lee per his request. It was HIS idea to leave the team.

That being said, after his absurd deal expires - and he stops sucking $17M a year off of the payroll - I would absolutely love to see Lee return to Golden State for a deal much more suitable to his current role. $$6.5M for 3 years would be fine with me. Lee is still an incredible passer and you could easily dismiss his lower FG% as a product of being in Boston's offense.

Site Admin
» Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:51 pm
32 wrote:At the time, we traded David Lee per his request. It was HIS idea to leave the team.

That being said, after his absurd deal expires - and he stops sucking $17M a year off of the payroll - I would absolutely love to see Lee return to Golden State for a deal much more suitable to his current role. $$6.5M for 3 years would be fine with me. Lee is still an incredible passer and you could easily dismiss his lower FG% as a product of being in Boston's offense.
Looney should be good to go, and MacAdoo (if we can keep him) looks like he could be our legit backup 4/5.

The only problem with your scenario, 32, is that Jason Thompson is on a 2 year deal for the same salary you mentioned ($6.4 now, $6.8 next season), and Lee will be on the market this summer. We're not doing ourselves any favors by stuffing him on the bench, because nobody will want him in 16-17. Signing him and trading Bazemore for Blake are just about the only two losses by our FO, though there's still time for Jason.

Speights will be gone, but is only making $3.8. Not nearly enough to justify paying Lee, plus we'll want to keep the cap figure low to be players in FA, and every bit helps.

I can see us slow playing JMA (or JMM?) to get a reduced contract, it's a dick move, but i think he'll be soaking up key minutes next season. Besides Ezeli, he's our only backup big that can defend the rim.

As much as I'd love to see Lee back, I'd rather have JMA, and I don't think there's any chance that Lee happens. He still believes he's in his prime starter years, and i think that's more important to him than rings or money. Boston was always a pit stop because they were throwing out the kitchen sink to make cap space for this summer. I think there's a shitty team out there that'd love him to pay him at least $9 mil to be a starter.

All Star
» Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:17 am
When Lee is ready to accept a bench role, I'd be happy to have him back. He can finish his career with the Warriors. I think he can be effective for 5 to 10 minutes. I believe Lee loved living in the bay.

Site Admin
» Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:30 pm
Stairway Man wrote:When Lee is ready to accept a bench role, I'd be happy to have him back. He can finish his career with the Warriors. I think he can be effective for 5 to 10 minutes. I believe Lee loved living in the bay.

I wouldn't be too sure about that; I'm pretty sure he's an East coast guy, and he never sold his condo in NY. Hard to call it since he was born in the Midwest though.