Are we being had by Kerr/Lee?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 pm
I heard that David Lee is gone. But who is going to trade for him? Did he agree or did he request it? When was this decided? Before hand or just today?

Rookie
» Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:45 pm
I'm sure it's been on people's minds all year. Whatever happens, the Warriors will not be getting the sweet side of the deal. They are either going to have to pay part of his salary, or add a pick or player or something. Who knows though, maybe they can get someone in return they can use. I doubt it though. At this point it is all about just unloading as much of his contract as possible.

» Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am
J1000 wrote:I'm sure it's been on people's minds all year. Whatever happens, the Warriors will not be getting the sweet side of the deal. They are either going to have to pay part of his salary, or add a pick or player or something. Who knows though, maybe they can get someone in return they can use. I doubt it though. At this point it is all about just unloading as much of his contract as possible.

+1, J1000. You're absolutely right.

The BEST CASE scenario for a Lee trade involves us dealing Lee to a team that can absorb his contract and is willing to surrender a couple 2nd round picks for him. A more likely scenario is going to be the Warriors having to package their #30 pick in this year's draft with Lee to turn his $15M deal into 2 or 3 smaller contracts - all expiring.

Either way, this is going to be an honorable move made by Golden State to reward Lee for being a model teammate, accepting a bench role in his prime, and not turning last year into a media circus (the end result being an NBA Championship for the Bay). This is not going to be a move that is made with the mindset of improving the Golden State Warriors above anything else. This is a move being made to reward Lee for his years of service and his singular year of taking one for the team in a way that 99% of professional athletes in his position would have thrown a huge hissy fit and cried about. In all likelihood, the Warriors will be receiving something FAR less valuable for Lee than they'll be giving up.

Ideally, you may be able to pry Gerald Wallace's abysmal contract ($10M) and a couple of Boston's future 2nd rounders away for David Lee ($15M) and our 1st rounder this year. Wallace adds another versatile defender and rebounder to the bench, though he's LOADS poorer than he was when he signed that contract. Boston - meanwhile - adds Lee to a starting 5 of Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, Jared Sullinger, & Evan Turner. They have Marcus Smart and this year's lottery pick to build upon, with Lee acting as a handy double-double machine to distract fans amidst the losing.

I'd personally rather the Warriors try to get a bench 2 who can score in any trade involving Lee, but again this isn't going to be a trade that rewards the Warriors; the team getting Lee will be the real winner in this deal.

» Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 am
GS Depth Chart

PG: Curry / Livingston
SG: Thompson / Rush
SF: Barnes / Iguodala
PF: Green / Wallace
C: Bogut / Ezeli

Expiring players: Leandro Barbosa, Ognjen Kuzmic, Justin Holiday,

Boston Depth Chart

PG: Smart / Thomas
SG: Bradley / Young
SF: Turner /
PF: Lee / Olynyk
C: Sullinger / Zeller

Expiring players: Brandon Bass, Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, Phil Pressey, Luigi Datome

» Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:56 am
Guess who called it 2 weeks ago?!? :mrgreen:

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/791931

Starting Lineup
» Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm
Well picked 32. It's great that we've saved a heap of money in getting rid of Lee's contract but I must admit that I was hoping to get a bit more in a trade, perhaps a draft pick thrown in. Perhaps I was being too greedy. I loved Wallace 5 years ago. He was a beast. But I doubt the current version will add much to our team and he'll be waived. Looney just moved up in the Warriors rotation. I'm happy to see Lee go to the Celtics as I think he'll play well there.

All Star
» Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 am
I don't like it guys. Unless this means that Looney and Macadoo turn out really good. It would be nice to have those guys prosper under Steve Kerr.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:10 am
32 wrote:Guess who called it 2 weeks ago?!? :mrgreen:

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/791931

haha spot on. maybe GSW FO be browsing these boards lol

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:11 am
Gonna miss Lee, maybe McAdoo provides some post scoring

Hall of Famer
» Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:53 pm
Good move in finding a taker for Lee and Wallace's contract can be divided in thirds for next three years. Think a team with salary cap room that could have traded a future 2nd rounder would have been much better but still this is a good move and all the best to Lee.

With the salary cap set at 70 million for next season and the luxury tax line set at 84.7 million, which means the team is about five million over the luxury line, which should result in paying an extra five million or so in tax. Pretty good situation for the champion team.

» Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:38 pm
Updated Depth Chart:

PG: Steph Curry / Shaun Livingston
SG: Klay Thompson / Leandro Barbosa
SF: Harrison Barnes / Andre Iguodala
PF: Draymond Green / Maurice Speights / Kevon Looney
C: Andrew Bogut / Festus Ezeli

I'm hearing the Warriors plan to waive Gerald Wallace after they restructure his deal, so I'm not counting on him to play any part on this team next year.

All Star
» Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 pm
Does anyone miss having a power forward on the roster who took playing time away from Draymond Green, played no defense, and had difficulty stretching the floor on offense?

If Lee had not gotten injured at the beginning of last season, the team would have had Green coming off the bench and opposing teams would have had a field day exploiting Lee's defense.

Mark Jackson only won the Denver series 3 seasons ago when he was forced to play Green at power forward after Lee had gotten injured.

We Warrior fans are so fortunate in having a front office that is committed to competing for championships and will jettison away players, coaches, and front office staff which do not share the same philosophy.

» Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 pm
No. At this point in his career, it is clear that David Lee has aged much more rapidly than anticipated. This season, in Boston, has only confirmed it. David Lee's days as being an efficient, all-star level PF are done. Any minutes taken from Draymond Green at this stage of his career would be a waste of time.

I do appreciate David Lee as one of the foundational pillars to this roster's metamorphosis into a championship caliber club, rather than the laughingstock he was traded to, and I applaud his contributions - which were all-star level - while he was here, but the writing is on the wall. Drayman Green is a top 10 NBA player this year. Lee hasn't been a top 10 NBA player since the 2013 season, when his all-star season propelled us into the playoffs, giving Stephen Curry the stage he needed to become a superstar - a stage Steph has yet to relinquish.

Lee, for all his talent and cleverness, simply played too many minutes throwing elbows in the paint and guarding players with immensely more physical size than him, and it has clearly aged him prematurely, as his season in Boston - not to mention his year after returning from injury last season - have proved. His efficiency is down across the board, as are his big, gaudy traditional stats. Lee is no doubt a complimentary addition to any club at this point; ideally, an 8th or 9th man on a playoff roster. I'm sorry to see his career end so abruptly, but I'm sure he's got 80 million reasons why none of us should mourn too heavily for him.

All Star
» Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:35 pm
32, I didn't know that. David Lee was a reason we lost in Milwaukee. He got the Celtics to go in overtime against us. If it weren't for him, we would have won easier in regulation. He was literally getting them back in the game. At least from what I've seen Lee has looked pretty good.

» Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm
Well, don't get me wrong. Lee is still a fine player and, traditionally, 60-70% of a former all-star is still worth more than most other players at his position.

But Lee has had a drastic drop in efficiency across the board; his clockwork-steady FG% has dipped below 50% for the first time in his career (he's at 45% on the season). He's also down on his rebounding numbers - at a 14.6% total rebound percentage, he's on pace to tie his career-low. Typically, if nothing else, you could always count on Lee to score and rebound... and he's doing both at a career-worst pace, which could explain his 15.7 MPG average (lowest of his career, including his rookie season under Isaiah, where he rode the bench).

The only thing Lee has done well in Boston is help implement the Warriors' spread-the-ball mentality. His assist-percentage is at a career-high 18.5% (that's higher than Draymond Green's career average coming into this season). To his credit, he's helped put Boston in the top 5 amongst NBA teams in APG. However, that's not a lesson the Warriors need to learn, -and it's certainly not something they can't already get from their incumbent PF - so any incentive to place Lee in a Warrior lineup above Green at this point is effectively destroyed.

Like I said, Lee is still an above-average player, but he's a shade of what he once was and, in regards to uptempo's updated topic theme, I certainly wouldn't play Lee above Green in any capacity this season.

Finally, to address your point about Lee's play versus Golden State this year... for as mighty as he played (6-for-8, 10-4-4 in 15 minutes), he was still only +3 on the night. I'm more inclined to give Avery Bradley credit for Boston's near win: Bradley chipped in 19 points while holding Stephen Curry to a 9-for-27 (33%) night that was only salvaged because the refs gave Steph the MVP treatment and put him on the line 14 times.