Should the FO add one more player

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21 pm
When the team let go off Nedovic, one roster spot was left vacant. We've spoken about Allen coming here a couple of months ago but I read a recent article that states Allen will chose a team to go to after the allstar break. We are on the list that includes Cleveland, Washington, Spurs, Heat and Hawks.

All Star
» Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:55 pm
Kanter

Hall of Famer
» Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 pm
Kanter is not what we need. He is big but not a defensive Center and has been rather soft this season. He should be better than he is and is out of contract after this season. For Kanter and filler for Lee would be good because we shed Lee's salary for next season, his last, but Kanter as a player is not a good fit for the team.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:28 am
Ray Allen would be nice to space the floor for the 2nd unit. That, or keep Klay or Steph on at all times. For backup C, Ezeli? Where he at.

Site Admin
» Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:03 pm
I agree more now than when it first came up that Ray Allen would be useful for our second unit if only as a sharpshooter for the end of quarters, but we need a big more than anything.

First I wanted Jermaine O'Neal, but that seemed like a one-horse race with the Mavs aggressively pursuing him and a couple teams, including the Blazers, as distant seconds. Recently, I really wanted Amar'e Stoudemire when it was anounced that he'd be getting bought out of NY, but according to league sources it looks like he's now going to the Mavs, so it looks like we might have a good chance at JO if we wanted him... Let's be honest, if it's up to the player then any vet in their last 1-3 years would take the Dubs over teams like the Mavs, Blazers, etc. We give those guys exactly what they want: a chance to win. Of course JO has been working to get back into what he believes is game shape, and yesterday he dropped this bomb:

jermaineoneal wrote:I'm not sure if there will ever be another time or not for me and basketball but what I do know at this moment is the time isn't right for me to play now. But just know I gave everything I had these last 7 weeks and I greatly appreciate each and every one of you guys for the positive words of encouragement thru my process......
http://instagram.com/p/zLZuRvHKyr/

So that rules out JO...

Sounds like for some reason the Bucks and Larry Sanders, who is currently suspended, are getting close to a buy-out, which is crazy because he still has a lot on that contract. He a great, defensive, PF/C, that could not only sub for Bogut, but also play along side him as a PF and maybe eventually replace him since he's only 26. Of course no potential suitors have been brought up with Sanders, and that's probably because he represents a pretty big gamble. As a Warriors and 49ers fan, I'm pretty tired of guys with potential that can't make their way in between the lines on gameday, but he is likely the best option for a permanent big solution right now.

The only problem with us getting one of these guys is that it seems like, unlike the days of our name being tossed in the discussion for basically every medium-big name FA/trade-block player as a wildcard, we haven't been mentioned once. Maybe our FO is just good at keeping things under wraps, but I'm getting a little nervous as the already small big-man pool continues to dry up.

What do you guys think? Anyone you think we will or should target?

Hall of Famer
» Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:45 am
I'm now more inclined to get a big more than anything else. We have enough guards and swingmen, we need insurance for Bogut AND Ezeli. Do see any available though and the team might have to go as is, which has been great so far.

All Star
» Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 am
Sorry but Green is good, just not ideal for playing the bigger teams. Sure he's a stretch 4, but against bigger guys he gets destroyed. Diaw, David West, and others have Green's number.

Warriors are going to need to figure this out. Sure it's not seemingly feasible to get an Aldridge or Anthony Davis. But they would fit in perfectly.

The other option would be going after Durant in the off season. He could play the stretch 4. He might not be the best defender, but his overall game would be enough to overcome any deficiencies. So maybe the Warriors would have to give up on Green and maybe Barnes.

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Durant
Bogut

Site Admin
» Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:40 am
JaVale McGee was just released by the 76ers. He needs to clear waivers, which he will because nobody is going to pay him $12 mil next season... unless the Mavs want another overpriced big just for shits and giggles.

We all know that backup C has been an issue for us all season, and even though Ezeli looked good last night, he's got a long ways to go before I'm convinced that he can be a serviceable/reliable backup to Bogut.

I really wanted this guy when he was still with Washington because I thought we could get him on the cheap and that he'd develop into a solid, almost a poor-man's DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler.

His per 36-min numbers for his career aren't bad:

He's not exactly the inside scoring thread we really need, but he's a capable rim protector and he could be lethal in the lob game with his size, elite athleticism, and guys like Curry, Iggy, and Livingston tossing him alley-oops. If nothing else, he could be a decent insurance policy if Ezeli either can't stay healthy, or if Festus performs well and leaves for more money elsewhere.

So what do you guys think?

Hall of Famer
» Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 pm
Think he is somewhat of a cancer for a good team. Ezeli should get minutes as he is a player that should be kept for the future and needs every opportunity to develop.

Site Admin
» Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 am
I highly doubt McGee could negatively impact what's regarded as one of the, if not the, most special/closest locker rooms in pro sports. Also, winning helps that too.

I think you're placing too much stock into Ezeli. He's signed through next season then has a $3 mil qualifying offer in 2016. Right now he's got a long way to go before he earns even the qualifying offer, and if he does play well next season or the next, then he'll likely become too expensive for us after Klay and Green's contracts.

I hope Ezeli can turn it around, but thus far we would have been better off not even drafting him in the first place since he's basically taken a roster spot from someone that could at least dress for most games.

Ezeli also has a long road to get to McGee's level, and I'm thinking that he might actually help us as a rental if we pick him off waivers and eat his $12 mil for 1 season.

I'm definitely rooting for Festus, he's looked good over the past two games. His FT and confidence has certainly improved, but he still has poor awareness and stone hands. Those things can improve with experience, but it's not like he was fresh off the boat into NCAA - the dude has been playing basketball for a long time now.

On the topic of players wasting a roster spot, does anyone know what's the deal with Rush? The NBA can be so weird sometimes, because it often feels like a player's success is determined by luck and being in the right place at the right time - or it feels that way because us fans are completely in the dark.

Site Admin
» Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:48 pm
The Celtics took a stab at McGee and he turned them down over a player option vs team option (I think for 16-17). The Warriors have now been brought up as a possible destination in nearly every article I've read today, primarily as an insurance policy for Bogut. So if there's any truth to that, then it confirms my belief that our FO has little faith in Festus being a suitable backup, let alone replacement. I'm sure we'll take a run at him if someone doesn't get him to commit first, but I'm not sure he'll want to come here.

It sounds like he wants a long-term deal, or at least to be in position to earn himself one, on a team that'll want him for close to the remainder of his career. If that's his mindset, then I'd be surprised if we got him because we'd only be looking for a rental through the 2015-16 season at best. Of the teams allegedly interested in him (Bulls, Raptors, Spurs, Heat, Mavs - lol, I knew it!), we're probably not the best fit in terms of promising him a future with the team.

If we did get him then we'd be unstoppable - the best D would get even better since we could tell Bogut, McGee, and even Ezeli to play as hard as they want without any worry of foul trouble. No team would dare go inside.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:45 am
McGee couldn't even crack the rotation on a pathetic Denver team that have no good bigs,. That's tells everything. McGee was promising two years ago when we beat the Nugs in the playoffs but he has become even more of a nobody that will never be anything.

Ezeli has not been given much court time this season and that is a mistake because he is young, on his rookie contract and one of only two real Centers on the team, with Bogut. Lee and Speights have played well but ofcourse they lack defensively and in the playoffs, defense tends to dominate a little more than in the regular season, making Ezeli more valuable. I think Ezeli is definitely a part of the team's future and has to be given every opportunity to develop. I do understand that playing Lee a fair bit so he can have good stats is a good move, as it makes him more tradeable this offseason but Ezeli has to be used a little more.

If any addition is made to the team, which is better there none is, it has to be a player that has a good attitude, not a headcase type, as the team chemistry has been great and that makes the difference between a very good one and a great one.