Getting Durant

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 am
This Durant to the Warriors debate has been going on for a while and at the beginning, I wasn't a fan of it. Not that Durant isn't a great player, but this team just didn't need him. But watching the last few games, I'm all for Durant coming here. This team lacks a true 2nd option scorer to Curry. Klay is a great shooting 2 guard that can play elite defense, but you clear all the smoke and he's just a catch and shoot guy. He doesn't create his own shots on a consistent basis and half of his shot attempts are 3 pointers. Draymond Green's value is defense and his ability to play that point forward from the 4 and he's becoming a catch and shoot player as well and 1/3 of his shots are 3 pointers as well. And if they have to rely on Harrison Barnes, then they're in trouble. They needed him the most in the last San Antonio game where they double and tripled team Steph and Klay was struggling. If there was a game for him to step up, it was that game and he failed which has been his big flaw since his Tarheel days. Durant is a guy that can create his own shot and get to the free throw line, which is something the Warriors aren't good at because they're primarily a jump shooting team. They're 20th in the league in free throw attempts with Curry leading them with 5 per game putting him 25th in the league. Durant is 12th in the league with 7 per game so he helps in that department.

The cap is projected to take its first huge jump after this season is over to $90M and that figure will increase to $108M in 2017-18 just in time to re-sign Curry. Some speculate that the cap could hit $125M in 2018-19 so signing Durant wouldn't effect their cap situation as much as one would think.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:32 pm
To me, it all depends on if the Warriors win the championship again. If they do, there's no reason to mess with back-to-back success. If they under-perform, then KD could be an option. But there's only 1 ball, and so far the Warriors chemistry + having the right pieces & depth + having the right minds > super team.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 am
The great thing about the current Warriors team is that these two seasons have all been with just one superstar, which is somewhat unconventional in the modern era of the last ten years at least, maybe more. Klay is an allstar and one of the best shooters ever, but that's it, not a superstar. Draymond this season has become a great glue type player and is probably the best defender in the nba, but that's it, not a superstar. I think having two superstars won't cause problems, though it can be figured that Klay likely will get less shots and maybe score a little less but that is no bad thing, he'll be more effective having to focus on not having to score as much as he does and can be an even more lethal marksman.

I think a starting five of Curry, Klay, Durant, Green and Bogut would be among the best ever as far as players filling their roles. You don't see a logjam of any kind, with Curry and Durant creating, Green running the offense still is viable and efficient, Klay shooting the way he does and Bogut rebounding, defending and passing like he does. Really everything covered with noone in the way of anyone else.

Site Admin
» Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:This Durant to the Warriors debate has been going on for a while and at the beginning, I wasn't a fan of it. Not that Durant isn't a great player, but this team just didn't need him. But watching the last few games, I'm all for Durant coming here. This team lacks a true 2nd option scorer to Curry. Klay is a great shooting 2 guard that can play elite defense, but you clear all the smoke and he's just a catch and shoot guy. He doesn't create his own shots on a consistent basis and half of his shot attempts are 3 pointers.

Well, in your defense, you posted this prior the the end of monster week Klay just had on his way to winning WC Player of the Week, but we definitely have a 2nd scoring option. Also, let's keep in mind the fact that it seems like whenever Curry is having an off night, Klay drops 35 or more, he's still in his growth years, he's improving every year, and he adds/improves a new piece to his game every season - particularly if it was a weakness. Remember his defense before? His klayups?

The dude game into the league as a one-trick pony with lots of potential upside, he's one of the rare players to meet that upside.

With that said, he's not KD, who would be a great fit for us (perfect if it wasn't for his lack of D).

All Star
» Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 am
We lost to Houston without Curry. This goes to show that we do need one more gun on our team to ensure dominance when we're short handed. If we had Durant we would have won that game, even without Curry. Green just doesn't seem like the type of player that can carry a team without Curry. Klay also shows that he needs Curry in order for his game to shine. By getting a player like Durant, we wouldn't miss much of a beat even when our top guy is out. If we had Durant for Barnes and still had at least most of our guys, we could win at almost the same rate year round even if there are injuries. We wouldn't struggle against teams like Houston. With Curry's ankle history, we are going to need one more dominant talent to help prolong his career. You can't put all the pressure on Steph. And when Steph is out, it puts enormous amounts of pressure on our guys. Like Skip says, as Steph goes the Warriors go. As Steph doesn't go, the Warriors don't go.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:47 am
The team just had a bad game and Klay didn't step up this time. Barnes hasn't stepped either and Draymond is, at the moment at least, a player that plays a role that is not of a big scorer. It'd be nice to get Durant but the team is good as is also and if the team doesn't get him, I personally am not disappointed.

All Star
» Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:14 am
migya wrote:The team just had a bad game and Klay didn't step up this time. Barnes hasn't stepped either and Draymond is, at the moment at least, a player that plays a role that is not of a big scorer. It'd be nice to get Durant but the team is good as is also and if the team doesn't get him, I personally am not disappointed.

Well if we don't get him, we still need to get an Anthony Davis or DeMarcus Cousins caliber player. Curry cannot carry this team. Look at how mediocre they are without him. They lost to the Rockets.

Role Player
» Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 am
Klay has had flashes in a few games, but you take away his 3 point shot, and he doesn't offer this team the same value when it comes to scoring. I've seen plenty of games that Klay became a drive killer, most recently, the game in which they lost to the Rockets. With the bench and no Curry, the Warriors came screaming back to get within 1 in the 4th quarter. Klay comes in and misses two three pointers and off all a sudden, the Rockets are back up 7 and eventually wins the game.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:43 pm
Klay has more than just an outside shot and he has shown at least the last two seasons. He can post up decently enough and can create on the move taking it to the basket enough also. It is more the team strategy offensively to get him and others shots in their more preferred spots. In the Game 3 loss, the offense looked unorganised, much so compared to usual, and Klay just didn't get the shots in his best spots. I saw him do next to nothing in the 4th because the team didn't run the offense to get him the good shots. I think Livingston should have been far more aggressive in the 4th, as Harden was guarding him and that should have been a feast for him, on drives and even post posting up. Kerr has got to be smarter than that, that game was very winnable, rather easily, had he worked it properly. It's going to have to be now with Curry out for a while and the team has the players to still a very good offensive team but as JREED had said in another thread I think, defense is now a priority because the offense stems from that. Against Portland, if the team in fact beats Houston, the bigs will be key I think, especially defensively because they are far more experienced and skilled than Portland's.

Site Admin
» Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:10 am
IMO, AD or Boogie would be even better than KD, but neither is happening. We don't necessarily need another top-10 player, we just really need a more consistent scorer at the 3. KD is that obviously, but it's also like asking for a penny and getting $1000.

Curry's health issues over the years has placed more emphasis on needing an insurance policy, but our team is still damn good without him - just probably not Championship good.

As Migs refered to, it's all about the defense for us now more than ever. Curry was great most of last season's playoffs, but our D is was ultimately won it all - otherwise Iggy wouldn't have been Finals MVP. We're showing that again, and showing that it doesn't change our gameplan too much without him, at least against lesser teams.

When it comes to SA, we'll need Curry to draw the attention to allow us to score, because they're the only team capable of defending us.

All Star
» Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:38 pm
JREED wrote:IMO, AD or Boogie would be even better than KD, but neither is happening. We don't necessarily need another top-10 player, we just really need a more consistent scorer at the 3. KD is that obviously, but it's also like asking for a penny and getting $1000.

Curry's health issues over the years has placed more emphasis on needing an insurance policy, but our team is still damn good without him - just probably not Championship good.

As Migs refered to, it's all about the defense for us now more than ever. Curry was great most of last season's playoffs, but our D is was ultimately won it all - otherwise Iggy wouldn't have been Finals MVP. We're showing that again, and showing that it doesn't change our gameplan too much without him, at least against lesser teams.

When it comes to SA, we'll need Curry to draw the attention to allow us to score, because they're the only team capable of defending us.

JReed AD plays same position as Draymond and we know Boogie will have issues

Hall of Famer
» Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:07 am
Boogie is Cousins I take it? He certainly is talented but his attitude issues are reason he is a must not here. The only real gettable great player this offseason seems to be Durant but who knows, their are a number of great players that are FAs, like Lebron, though I wouldn't sign him. Really, to me at least, it's Durant or give Barnes the QO and trade him for a good starting SF and be pretty happy.

I'd like to have Evan Turner, liked him a few years ago, and though his outside shot isn't good, his a good defender and has skills in other areas. I like Batum as well, Matthews from Dallas, there are quite a few. A SF with a good outside shot is almost a must it seems because the team relies on the outside shooting so much but there are quite a number of SFs out there that could replace Barnes well. Barnes just hasn't turned into the player I thought he would and though he doesn't need to be a star, just solid really, he is not viable at anywhere near th 17 odd million he will ask for and likely get from another team.

Site Admin
» Mon May 02, 2016 4:53 pm
There's plenty of great options out there no doubt, and as it is now we'll have our pick of the litter since we're a player's most likely chance to get multiple rings.

AD can play the 3, 4, or 5, and same with Green (5 not full-time obviously), so it's not like we couldn't make room for him, but there's no chance of that happening.

Yes, migs, Boogie = Cousins, and while he seems like a cancer, he is on probably the most toxic frachise in the league. Isn't their team captain Rondo? 'Nuff said... The dude has a lot of passion, just wants to win, and don't think for a second he'd cause the same ruckus on the Warriors enrout to a championship.

Not sure what you're countering stairway, you're the one that originally brought those two up. I'd still be happy as all hell to have KD, but I do think either of those guys would make is a better team than he would. KD fills a need, but Cousins is in his own class at his position. Could you imagine a Green and Boogie frontcourt? Or how unstoppable we'd be with AD? Don't get me wrong, I think the same about KD and even the roster we have now, but I think both of those guys are more valuable.

All Star
» Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 pm
JREED wrote:There's plenty of great options out there no doubt, and as it is now we'll have our pick of the litter since we're a player's most likely chance to get multiple rings.

AD can play the 3, 4, or 5, and same with Green (5 not full-time obviously), so it's not like we couldn't make room for him, but there's no chance of that happening.

Yes, migs, Boogie = Cousins, and while he seems like a cancer, he is on probably the most toxic frachise in the league. Isn't their team captain Rondo? 'Nuff said... The dude has a lot of passion, just wants to win, and don't think for a second he'd cause the same ruckus on the Warriors enrout to a championship.

Not sure what you're countering stairway, you're the one that originally brought those two up. I'd still be happy as all hell to have KD, but I do think either of those guys would make is a better team than he would. KD fills a need, but Cousins is in his own class at his position. Could you imagine a Green and Boogie frontcourt? Or how unstoppable we'd be with AD? Don't get me wrong, I think the same about KD and even the roster we have now, but I think both of those guys are more valuable.

JReed, Cousins would maybe destroy our franchise. Besides, he has never done well against Bogut. I think we could do a lot better than Cousins. Cousins instead of Durant? Really? At least Durant can shoot 3s. This is a small mans league now and Durant is a big small man.

Site Admin
» Tue May 03, 2016 2:03 pm
Zero chance any player could "destroy our franchise" especially when they're winning.

It's difficult to compare the two because of their positions and situations, but at this stage in their careers, Cousins is, or at least could be, the more valuable player. Generally speaking of course, since we have Bogut, Boogie isn't nearly as valuable in comparison too replacing Barnes with KD.

For comparison...
PlayerAgeGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Cousins25656522469.621.30.4511.13.40.3338.5180.4737.610.60.7182.59.4123.41.61.543.828
Durant27727225789.719.30.5052.66.70.3887.112.60.5686.270.8980.67.68.2511.23.51.928.3

Cousins just started really developing an outside jumper too. Had he not wasted so much of his career in Sac-town, he could be the best player in the game right now.