Getting Durant

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am
It may seem like a distant topic, with the team better than ever and being true contenders this season, but with OKC currently not in the top 8 in the west and not winning like a top 4 team even with a healthy Durant and Westbrook, Durant likely will not want to stay there once his contract is up, which is after next season.

Durant, like most stars, wants to win championships and OKC is basically just him and Westbrook and noone else of great value around them. They are over the salary cap as well for next season and so won't be able to add any FAs of any significance.

I think Durant would be seriously interested in coming here, especially if the team wins the championship this season, even moreso if Curry gets MVP, which looks very possible. I think OKC will be desperate to get something in return for him because he'll likely leave if they don't trade him this offseason. Trading Lee, Iguodala and Barnes for Durant and Perkins (signed for one season at about what he is on now, which 9 million) would a good reap for OKC. They'd get proven talent that they could retain for much cheaper than they are now when they're contracts expire.

Lee could be resigned for less than 9 million I think. He can still be good on the offensive end but is now over 30 years old and won't get better than what he is. Maybe he'd go well next to Ibaka, who makes up for his lack of defense. Iguodala is only signed for another two seasons after this one and he could be resigned for less than what Lee will, maybe no more than 5 million, as he is past it to a degree and his defense and playmaking would fit in OKC with Westbrook. Barnes could be resigned for no more than 8-9 million, unless he got better ofcourse than what he has been. OKC would get a starting SG, SF and PF/C to fill out their starting five. All three of the Warriors players traded to them could be trade assets ofcourse but they'd be better salary wise after next season than they are now and could maybe even be able to sign one or two good players, with the salary cap set to go up to about 80 million after next season.

We'd get Durant, who'd resign for the max and would make the starting five perhaps the best in nba history. Durant is still young so it could be a long term contending situation.

All Star
» Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:26 am
As always it's a long shot in theory. But this is a theory that needs to be thoroughly explored. I think Durant also needs the Warriors. Westbrook doesn't care much for Durant and long term, the Warriors would be a better marriage. Let's hope that Durants foot is okay (not for this year though lol.)

I would like Durant to be on the Warriors. But I don't like him if he's not on the Warriors. Westbrook I don't like either way, he's like a Kobe, just can't stand him.

I think that Green is good but is showing that he's too small. Like Barkley said, he's tough, but can only be so tough. He is partially right. He's only 6 foot 6.

With Durant, you wouldn't be getting the prototypical power forward, but you would be getting the best stretch 4 that money could buy.

I think tonight showed that the Warriors need Durant since Lebron put the Splash Brothers to shame by himself.

We can sign Durant and let go of Barnes and Green. Continuity is good but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
We will need Durant if we want to compete with Lebron and Irving for years to come. Our roster could look like this....

Curry
Thompson
Durant
Bogut

Might have to find another player at sf or pf. But if we can get Durant in with the Splash Bros, we will be set. Lacob has the money and the commitment to get the necessary role players.

Or maybe we can get Lee out of here and just keep Green or Barnes.

All Star
» Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:04 am
Westbrook left Durant hanging.

What better show would their be than to have Durant on the Warriors? What better show in town? I mean The Splash Bros already make the Warriors one of the most exuberant teams, but could you imagine what would happen if they got Kevin Durant?

Durant should come to Golden State. If I was Kevin Durant, I would want to come to Golden State. Why the heck not? It wouldn't look cheap. Curry and Thompson are team players and nice guys, just like Durant. It would be such a good marriage, I can't even explain how good of a fit it would be.

I mean the Warriors are moving to San Francisco. Why would you want to stay in OKC with a star that leaves you hanging and just wants to win for himself? Durant could have such a better time winning in the bay area.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:40 am
The team certainly threw your panicking attitude out the window last game versus the Raptors.............

All Star
» Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:43 pm
But Migya, if you were Kevin Durant, wouldn't you want to join the Warriors? Where else would be better and more exciting?

Hall of Famer
» Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 am
That's why I created this thread........

All Star
» Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:21 am
Kevin Durant just took offense to a kid on Instagram. The kid told him Westbrook is better and Durant said ''Who cares d-head? We're on the same team.''

That obviously got Durant going just as Westbrook didn't slap him high five on the bench. Come to Golden State, Durant. It's the best place for you and there couldn't be a better win win situation. You'll kill Westbrook on our team. Let Westbrook get all the triple doubles he wants.

The only other team I could see Durant going to would be Washington cuz he grew up there. But my god, if I was Durant I would pick the Warriors in a heartbeat. I'd love to team up with the Splash Brothers and just destroy Westbrook.

» Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 pm
Why stop there? Let's get LeBron, too. And Anthony Davis and James Harden. All without giving up Steph or Klay.

I put the over-under on the Golden State Warriors acquiring Kevin Durant at negative 10%. And that's generous.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44 am
Many thought Lebron would never leave Cleveland and he did for Miami and then surprised again by leaving Miami.

OKC has been very good the last four or so years but they won't get a title with the team they've got, though they are improved a bit now with Kanter. All stars eventually want to get better shots at championships, which is why the likes of Barkley, KMalone, Shaq, KG, Dwight and Love left their teams for better chances. Durant will be no different. He has been in the nba for some six or seven years now, haven't checked, and it's now time for him to make a move to get championships if he wants to be known as one of the best ever. Golden State is now the best team and is built the best to win a championship. My idea was that Lee, Iguodala and Barnes would be enough to get Durant. That was before OKC got Kanter, who now fits pretty well as there starting Center next to Ibaka. If Kanter leaves there, as he is a FA this offseason, they will need another big but Lee, unless he has a dramatic turn around, has ruined any value he had and so the team, if they were to trade for Durant this offseason rather than wait to sign him outright the following offseason, would have to give someone else, likely another starter, like Green to get such a trade done. Maybe OKC would accept Barnes, Iguodala and Speights or Holiday, especially if Durant doesn't sign an extension and/or states that he wants to test FA, meaning he's gone anyway.

In fact, with the salary cap being said to go up to close to 90 million for 2016-17 and with Lee's contract ending that offseason as well, maybe the best bet would be to sign Durant outright then. With Green likely signing a near max contract, anywhere from 13- 17 million a year average over four year, 15 million first season, the team will be at about 66-67 million, so about 23 million under the projected salary cap. They could not give Barnes the QO, getting them 28 million under and sign Durant. Can resign Barnes and Speights or just one or even let both walk.

All Star
» Mon May 04, 2015 2:58 pm
Klay's dad says Warriors will push hard.

To the people who say the Warriors have no chance at getting Durant. Here is my question. If you were Kevin Durant, which team would you want to go to? My answer would be obviously the Warriors.

Curry
Klay
Durant
Green
Bogut

Why would Durant not want to pair up with the Splash Bros in SF? Rather stay in Oklahoma with Westbrook? makes no sense. 100 better reasons to go to the Bay Area. Better players, better organization, best place to live, new arena, better media, more winnings.

Hall of Famer
» Mon May 04, 2015 6:57 pm
Low and behold again I predict pretty well, at least it is a topic that has become reality. Durant might well come here and it might be as an outright free agent, with the salary cap going up significantly. All it would take is the team not resigning Barnes or better yet, trading him for a future 1st rounder. With Lee coming off the books after next season, his salary replaced by what Green likely will resign for, Durant will just get the money that is the difference between what the cap is now, about 65 million, and what it will be, projected 85-90 million for 2016-17. Iguodala's and Bogut's contracts reduce in salary every season so it fits well.

Could be a dynasty type team for the next four or five years at least.

Site Admin
» Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 am
While I agree that Durant does look like a possibility, I think it's gonna require a little more roster movement than just letting Barnes go. Also, teams will have some additional money to play with (probably a lot), but don't think that current contracts won't be automatically bumped up significantly. People are already predicting that there'll be a new CBA and/or possible lockout.

Site Admin
» Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 am
Also, don't forget about his hometown "Bullets" they're likely to push hard. DC could be a great fit for KD, maybe it won't be the superteam he'd make in GS, but it'd be a better situation than OKC and a damn good team. Pierce should be done by then too.

Hall of Famer
» Tue May 05, 2015 6:16 pm
If you look at the team salary for 2016-17, the team will be at about 51 million, strange that Hoopshype has Ezeli and Barnes having the QO for 2016-17, their fifth season, thought that'd be for their fourth season, next season. With Green likely getting about 15 million a year, that takes it to 66 million. Depending if the FO retains Barbosa for next season and resigns anyone who is out of contract after next season this offseason, will bring the salary up or not. As is, at 66 million, if the salary cap goes up to 90 million, that's 24 million for Durant, maybe one or two million than the max for him but he'd have to take a slight, very slight, lower figure to come to a sure contender. The luxury tax level will likely be some ten or million over the salary cap, so about 100 million or so which means resigns of the likes of Justin Holiday, Kuzmic and Speights can be resigned within that amount, which won't be easy as Speights looks worth 7 million in the new salary cap. Bogut and Iguodala come off the books after the 2016-17 season and Iguodala, if he wants to stay, will have to take close to vet minimum Bogut will have to take about the same, which is about 11 million, pretty good value for the effect he has on the team.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:16 am
I just read an article about Durant coming to Golden State and what I found out is that by waiving Jason Thompson to sign Varejao the team just has to pay JThompson 887k a year for the next three years.

The salary situation for next season as follows:

Player name 2015/16 2016/17 2017/18 2018/19 2019/20 2020/21
Klay Thompson $15,501,000 $16,663,575 $17,826,150 $18,988,725 $0 $0
Draymond Green $14,260,870 $15,330,435 $16,400,000 $17,469,565 $18,539,130 $0
Andrew Bogut $12,000,000 $11,027,027 $0 $0 $0 $0
Andre Iguodala $11,710,456 $11,131,368 $0 $0 $0 $0
Stephen Curry $11,370,786 $12,112,359 $0 $0 $0 $0
Jason Thompson $6,431,250 $887,000 $887,000 $887,000 $0 $0
Shaun Livingston $5,543,725 $5,782,450 $0 $0 $0 $0
Harrison Barnes $3,873,398 $5,194,226 $0 $0 $0 $0
Marreese Speights $3,815,500 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Leandro Barbosa $2,500,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Festus Ezeli $2,008,748 $3,013,122 $0 $0 $0 $0
Brandon Rush $1,270,964 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Kevon Looney $1,093,680 $1,142,880 $1,192,080 $2,151,704 $3,227,556 $0
Ian Clark $947,276 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
James Michael McAdoo $845,059 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Anderson Varejao $458,574 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Totals $93,631,286 $68,294,644 $35,113,150 $37,345,290 $18,539,130 $0

Red numbers = Team Option and salary does not count towards team salary total until team picks up that players contract for that season.
Green numbers = Qualifying Offer and salary does not count towards team salary total until team picks up that players contract for that season.

If the salary cap goes up to 90 million (which I've read the cap should fall between 90-100 million) this coming offseason the team will be 21.7 million under the cap and therefore could only sign Durant as a FA if he took a paycut about 5 million under the max, which is apparently 30% of the salary cap for a star player with at least a few years of experience, think it is over seven years. If the salary cap goes up to 100 million, the team will be 31.7 million under the cap and therefore could then sign Durant outright as a FA, as the max for that cap amount would be 30 million (30%). So the new salary cap would have to be at least 97 million for the team to sign Durant as a FA at the max that he could get for that cap amount, unless ofcourse he would take a slight paycut which then makes it easier, such as if he would sign for 2 million under the max, then the salary cap could be as low as 94-95 million for the team to sign him to some 2 million under the max that he could get.

Point is, the team can get him outright without letting anyone go immediately but obvious;y Barnes would have to go and the 5.2 million QO he has. The team would almost certainly have to go over the luxury tax level, as just adding Livingston and Ezeli at their TO and QO respectively is just under nine million and the luxury level is usually about 10 million over the salary cap. The FO could then resign Speights, Barbosa, Rush, Clark, McAdoo etc. or some of them, since you can go over the cap when resigning players already on your roster from previous season.

With Bogut, Iguodala and Curry coming out of contract after next season, the team will be in a good position to retain players without really going higher in total salary. Curry should get some 15 million more than what he is currently on but both Bogut and Iguodala should resign for no more than 5 million each, totalling about 12 million less that what both add up to now. Ezeli having to resign makes things harder but keeping Varejao around for the vet minimum could mean letting Ezeli leave or trading him this offseason for a future 1st rounder, probably a smart move given his injury history and the likely over 15 million he'll get from some team.

The FO has shown they can make things happen and this could actually happen.