Andrew Bogut

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 am
warriorsstepup wrote:The question I should have asked how to manage Bogut's minutes, so he will be ready for the playoffs, I know he is a manly man taking charges, playing rough, he might have to limit that due to injury. A capable Center is everything to this team, that is my main point. Every other position is pretty much set.

It certainly is a consideration. He averaged 26 minutes last year. My guess is they will probably try to keep that about the same, below 30 minutes. But I mean there's only so much you can do. If a player is going to get a freak injury it's not like there is anything you can do about it. You just play him and hope it doesn't happen.

It's true that the more minutes played, the more likely the player is to be injured. But I think that's only really true if he's playing a significant number of minutes. To the point of tiredness, fatigue. This is when the injuries are more likely to occur. I would think if he only played 26 minutes a game, this element would not be such a factor. These guys are in tremendous condition. Seems to me he's getting hurt more because of the way he is playing rather than how much he is playing.

» Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am
J1000 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:The question I should have asked how to manage Bogut's minutes, so he will be ready for the playoffs, I know he is a manly man taking charges, playing rough, he might have to limit that due to injury. A capable Center is everything to this team, that is my main point. Every other position is pretty much set.

It certainly is a consideration. He averaged 26 minutes last year. My guess is they will probably try to keep that about the same, below 30 minutes. But I mean there's only so much you can do. If a player is going to get a freak injury it's not like there is anything you can do about it. You just play him and hope it doesn't happen.

It's true that the more minutes played, the more likely the player is to be injured. But I think that's only really true if he's playing a significant number of minutes. To the point of tiredness, fatigue. This is when the injuries are more likely to occur. I would think if he only played 26 minutes a game, this element would not be such a factor. These guys are in tremendous condition. Seems to me he's getting hurt more because of the way he is playing rather than how much he is playing.

J is correct.

With Bogut, a minute restriction really isn't gonna help much. His injuries aren't due to fatigue or physical deterioration; they're freak occurrences. No matter how little you play him, he'll be taking charges, blocking shots, and getting physical when he's in there. Because of that, injuries tend to happen. It's just his style of play.

Rookie
» Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:23 am
So Ezeli is out with a right shin inflammation which causes him to miss at least some of the preseason and who knows if he will be healthy. That leaves us with Bogut and Kuzmic (who I dont have a clue about, hardly ever seen him) at the centre position. My question is who is available and who would suit that position and if it even is possible given our financial situation.. Jermaine O'Neal maybe? I loved him last year, he was really good imo.

Another option would be a lineup for big stretches consisting of Green/Barnes - Lee if Ezeli indeed not is healthy come the opener when Bogut is on the bench which he presumably will be for almost half the game given his min/averages the last couple of years. Interesting situation, dont know if anyone has some insider about that.

» Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:41 am
Jermaine O'Neal won't be back, unfortunately. He's leaning towards retirement:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... next-year/

Remaining free agent centers include Marcus Camby (whom I like A LOT; he's bring a lot of what Jermaine brought last year), Gren Oden (who likely won't be signed in the wake of his domestic violence lawsuit), Andrew Bynum (probably out of our price range - not to mention, he's a head case), and Emeka Okafor (also likely out of our price range; I'd assume he's looking for a starting job).

One other name that I will absolutely guarantee won't be back (and thank God for that): Andris Biedrins.

Yeahhhhh... as the list illustrates, the pickin's are slim this year. Might actually be better off trying to bring Kuzmic along throughout the season.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:41 am
Wow...good to see everyone! It's been awhile.

All Star
» Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 am
Knightofoceans wrote:Wow...good to see everyone! It's been awhile.

The ice of the off-season is coming off, this will be a special season for us fans, welcome back.

Starting Lineup
» Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:54 am
Warriorsstepup...Andre Bogut? Is that a typing error or a joke? I don't mean to be the spelling police but it's been bugging me for a while now and I couldn't ignore it any longer. You removed the 'made out of glass?' part of the title but still left it as Andre. I don't get it.

All Star
» Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:42 am
Ringo wrote:Warriorsstepup...Andre Bogut? Is that a typing error or a joke? I don't mean to be the spelling police but it's been bugging me for a while now and I couldn't ignore it any longer. You removed the 'made out of glass?' part of the title but still left it as Andre. I don't get it.

Apologies thanks for pointing it out to me, that was a error on my part.

Further, that was my edit to leave it as just "Andrew Bogut" not "Andre". I felt I was a bit harsh on my criticism due to frustration. I just wanted to leave the title as "Andrew Bogut" just for Andrew Bogut news if that make sense.

I will say this Bogut has more than impressed me this season, with bringing the ball up, being involved in the offense actually using his hook shot, and off course playing defense. As I mentioned before other than Curry he is the most important piece to this team, as he anchors an important position.

The frustration came from lack of touches he received, I knew he scored with the Bucks and not sure why he was not used on the offense here, but that can now be pointed towards Jackson, and of course the injures were crucial, specially since Ezeli was injured majority of the time last year, with no healthy center it hurt us last year.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:41 pm
Bogut is playing exactly the role he needs to play for the team. He has to be focus on defending, rebounding and passing. He should look to score when he can see it is there and when the shot clock is almost expired and he is close to the basket. He is doing his bit and the team has played well.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Hall of Famer
» Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15 pm
Bogut's no nonsense attitude was needed and the team has gotten better since he's gotten here with no surprise.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:40 am
Bogut's knee injury is now likely to keep him out for at least four weeks, maybe the whole season, very unsure it is right now. Read the article about him getting platelete therapy/injection so it is not little injury that will go away very quickly.

Bogut is a great and valuable player on the team but it is a definite truth that he is an injury prone player. It may be different injuries that have happened to him but there is always at least one injury a year. I still think he should be kept for another year and see how he fairs but it is almost at the point where he is tradeable for another Center that also makes a difference, especially defensively.

To be honest, right now, if he signed an extension immediately with us, I'd trade for MGasol, giving Bogut and Lee, getting back Koufos as well. I just think Bogut has been that unstable health wise and in all, him playing is what counts, especially with the high level he is playing. Lee is obviously expendable right now so he might be enough, with Bogut, to get MGasol, resigned ofcourse.

The injury situation with Bogut is now an issue, as he is injured every season.

Starting Lineup
» Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Here is a good article on Bogut and his impact in this series against the Rockets:

http://downtownball.net/2015/05/bogut-d ... believers/

Site Admin
» Mon May 25, 2015 4:26 pm
That was a good read, but I'm not sure I completely agree with the pressure that's placed on Bogut. Injuries aside, the dude has a proven track record, and I can't think of many (any?) times a health Bogut has let us down. The whole Ellis trade debate is such a forgone conclusion now, I'd be surprised if anyone can look back on that as anything less than a complete victory for the team.

He is, without question, our most underrated player. That's not to say that he doesn't get any love or recognition with earning NBA All Defense 2nd Team honors, and finishing 6th in DPoY voting, but it simply isn't enough. I somewhat understand DeAndre getting 1st team over him (volume stats and minutes), but finishing 6th in DPoY voting was a joke. Of course, defensive awards in the NBA, as with most awards, will always be incredibly subjective. So I'm not going to cry about it, Bogut won't either since 2nd team was good enough to get that $2 mil bonus, we all know he's a monster - something Rockets fans are finding out the hard way.

» Tue May 26, 2015 5:08 pm
It depends on your expectations, JREED. Has Bogut been a net-positive when healthy? Absolutely. But don't forget: he's a former #1 overall pick. By all standards, he SHOULD be the best player on our roster and he's probably the 3rd or 4th. Not to mention that Bogut, while talented, has yet to truly embrace the role of "dominator" in his NBA career. He seems content as a big fish in a little pond in the sense of he's only interested in OppFG% and plus-minus; things that he's proven he can be good at. Bogut hasn't really taken a step towards improving areas that could potentially aid the club since he's been here. A guy with Bogut's skills and physical gifts could easily average close to 20 and 10, but Boges has no problem (and feels no guilt) leaving a game with 8 and 5, so long as he played well defensively. For some fans, that's not enough. It certainly wasn't enough for the Bucks.

While I agree that it's nice that we don't necessarily need Bogut to dominate to win, it would be a huge relief for this backcourt if Bogut weren't so petrified to shoot on offense; even in Milwaukee, prior to his arm injury, Bogut's low post offense was a minor focal point of the Bucks' game plan and, really, he rides the excuse about losing his shooting touch in his arm a little far for some fans. His horrid FT shooting and ensuing hesitancy to go to the line robs him of virtually any offensive drive to the cup that isn't 100% wide open (ally-oops, point-blank-dunks, tip-backs, etc).

This is all a bit of a Devils' advocate post; I'm thrilled that Bogut has played over 65 games for two seasons in a row and I believe he's an absolute catalyst to the Warriors winning in the playoffs, but I can see the side of the argument where certain fans or media members believe he's capable of more and, at the end of the day, more from Bogut wouldn't hurt this team.