Andrew Bogut

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:34 am
I had such high expectations for this man but he is never healthy. Furthermore he averaged 12 points per for his career but here he just disappear on offense. Plus the warriors extended him for I believe 3 more years a year ago. He is vital to our team but this guy just can't get on the floor and it is a huge negative for us. Our center position is in trouble with Features Ezeli hurt all last year and an Unhealthy Bogut. The front office did nothing to address our center issue and it will hunt us.
Last edited by warriorsstepup on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

» Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 am
Man, you scared me. I had to hit Google to see if anything happened to him.

For what it's worth, Bogut is said to be fully recovered from his rib injury and has been labeled "fully healthy" by CSN Insider Andrew Baggerly. May not last long, but hey, let's not forget that Bogut gave us 67 games last year. IMO, anything over 65 with him is a gold medal.

All Star
» Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm
I am glad to hear that he is fully healthy, he is so vital to our team, not sure if limiting his play will help keep him healthy since he will be even more important during the playoffs.

Rookie
» Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:09 am
Bogut's health really is the "x-factor" for this team. Health in general is a factor for every team, but Bogut is someone where it is always a question. Without him they're still a good team. But with him, healthy....I don't think we even know the team's full potential yet. We've yet to see that tested.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 am
I think Bogut is a critical part of the team and still one of the best Centers. He is a definite keeper unless there can be an improvement and I think that if he is performing well the first month of the season and MGasol has not be resigned yet, trying to trade Bogut and someone else, likely Barnes would be their desired player, for MGasol could be done. That's for an agreed to resign MGasol ofcourse. Both Bogut and MGasol are 29 years old but MGasol is performing better right now, at least scoring more.

Rookie
» Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:04 am
migya wrote:I think Bogut is a critical part of the team and still one of the best Centers. He is a definite keeper unless there can be an improvement and I think that if he is performing well the first month of the season and MGasol has not be resigned yet, trying to trade Bogut and someone else, likely Barnes would be their desired player, for MGasol could be done. That's for an agreed to resign MGasol ofcourse. Both Bogut and MGasol are 29 years old but MGasol is performing better right now, at least scoring more.

What are you talking about? No one is taking injury-prone Bogut and his 3 year, 36 million dollar contract.

All Star
» Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 pm
His contract is until 2017, we are banking on his health he has not delivered yet. He is said to be health, it is important now to monitor his play.

Have we asked the question incase he goes down ? who becomes our center, we never addressed this matter during the offseason, Ezeli is just coming season off injury also lets just hope for health. Every other position is good to go for now.

» Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 pm
J1000 wrote:
migya wrote:I think Bogut is a critical part of the team and still one of the best Centers. He is a definite keeper unless there can be an improvement and I think that if he is performing well the first month of the season and MGasol has not be resigned yet, trying to trade Bogut and someone else, likely Barnes would be their desired player, for MGasol could be done. That's for an agreed to resign MGasol ofcourse. Both Bogut and MGasol are 29 years old but MGasol is performing better right now, at least scoring more.

What are you talking about? No one is taking injury-prone Bogut and his 3 year, 36 million dollar contract.

This is, unfortunately, the prevailing opinion outside of Warrior circles; the national scene does not believe Bogut can be counted on, they've dismissed him as a perennially injury-riddled disappointment. Which is why no team is going to give up real assets to get him; because every GM in the league would be crucified by their fan bases if they gave up somebody in the ball park of Marc Gasol for Bogut and a busted prospect like Barnes. Bogut, like Lee and Iguodala, is someone we likely won't be able to move until the final year of his contract. Thinking that we could obtain an upgrade for him and a kicker is a little too optimistic, IMO.

But that being said, my attitude when you're faced with a player whose obviously worth more in the starting lineup than he would be in a transaction is to keep him. The allocation of resources is everything in the NBA. When Bogut's healthy, he's a top 5 center in terms of impact (if not stats). But on the trade block? He's probably closer to the 20-25 range, in terms of return-value... Same with DLee. So my opinion on both of them is that trading them will only DOWNGRADE the team in terms of talent. I'm in favor of keeping Bogut until something better comes along... and "something better" will likely only be an in-house prospect turning into something great (like Ezeli) or an under-the-radar acquisition who can take over the starting center position (for example, if you were worried about Klay Thompson's contract extension and you traded him to Orlando for a package of cheap, young prospects, including Mo Harkless and Nikolai Vucevic... a guy like Vucevic could potentially turn Bogut into a bench player, provided Boges couldn't stay healthy).

But this is all wild speculation: in real, plausible, black-and-white terms, Andrew Bogut had a bounce-back season, in terms of health, last year and he's said to be "fully healthy" as of today. Yes, it's a long shot, - because, somehow, he seems to have some terrible luck in terms of freak, fluke injuries that hit him on the court - but from a purely objective perspective, as it stands, Bogut is primed to deliver more games at a top level among centers for the immediate future... and I simply can't let myself worry about another freak injury happening to him. If it happens, hopefully Ezeli is healthy enough to log huge minutes (he practically imitated Bogut's role in 2012). And if not, then we're all stressing over nothing and losing seconds to all our lives over a pile of imagination. I'm not gonna let him do it to me like that this year. I have faith in Bogut's heath (God help me) and (perhaps more importantly) I have faith in Ezeli's ability to fill-in.

Starting Lineup
» Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:24 pm
I'm sure there were a bunch of top notch centers the front office could of nabbed up for pennies in the off season they just defiantly chose not to how dare them they are so dumb ... Lol good nba centers are very hard to come by and when they do come normally teams don't give them up easily. I think al Jefferson could of been an option last year when he was a free agent but at that point re signing bogut was an easier move. If ezili can recover and bogut can stay somewhat healthy the warriors could have a very solid center combo.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:05 pm
An article from NBA.com:

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Andrew Bogut saw Marreese Speights driving to the rim during a pickup game at the Golden State Warriors' practice facility a couple weeks ago and never second-guessed what to do next.

Bogut moved in Speights' path, held his position and took a charge.

"I'm not going to change the way I play," Bogut said. "The way I play is I take charges, I block shots, I set hard screens. Unfortunately, we don't wear padding or anything like that, and every now and then we're going to get a knock."

Golden State's center and big difference maker has taken more than a few knocks in his career. He's healthy again for training camp, and he knows that the Warriors will need him to stay that way to contend for anything this season.

The fractured rib that sidelined him for the first-round loss to the Los Angeles Clippers is healed, he said, but the "mental anguish" of missing the playoffs has left another kind of scar.

Since Milwaukee made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, Bogut's injuries include a dislocated right elbow, broken right hand, sprained right wrist, broken left ankle and fractured rib. He also has battled back discomfort on occasion.

Bogut has never been bothered by those who believe he's injury prone. The only thing that bugs Bogut is not being able to play when his teammates need him most.

The 7-foot Australian center said he did everything he could to return sooner from his latest "freak injury," which started after he took a hit against Denver and worsened when he was sandwiched by two Portland defenders a few days later. He said he had trouble breathing and could barely move, let alone battle Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan under the basket.

Bogut popped pain-killing pills and laid on his stomach for nearly 24 hours a day following the fracture. He had a rib-protecting vest made in case he could return, but he was unable to even sit on the bench.

Bogut said the rib might have calcified enough for him to play at some point in the second round had the Warriors advanced. Instead, they lost in a decisive Game 7 against a Clippers team that controlled the paint.

"I did everything like I was going to play. But in reality, I'd rather be called soft and injury prone by every fan, blogger and media person out there than puncture my lung," Bogut said. "Because they wouldn't be sending me a get-well card when I'm in the hospital."

When Bogut has played, he has played well.

He dominated down low to propel the Warriors to the second round of the playoffs two seasons ago, even while nursing a sore left ankle that had him limping out of the locker room each time. He played 67 of 82 games last season, averaging 10 rebounds, 7.3 points and 1.7 assists.

But his biggest impact has come on defense. Bogut has ranked among the NBA's best in defensive ratings and is the primary reason a franchise long known for offense has been transformed into a defensive leader, which makes the times he injured so difficult to overcome.

"It's having one of the best defensive centers in the league there versus not having him there. It's daylight and darkness," Warriors forward Harrison Barnes said. "When he's healthy, he can pass, he can move. It just changes our whole dynamic."

Unlike during Mark Jackson's tenure, new Warriors coach Steve Kerr is leaning on Bogut to be a focal point on both sides of the floor.

During a visit to Australia this summer, Kerr brought a video that featured clips of offensive plays for Bogut. Some highlights were from Bogut's time in Milwaukee. Others came from Kerr's days playing in the triangle offense for Phil Jackson's Chicago Bulls in the 1990s, when another Australian center, Luc Longley, often helped initiate the offense.

"Andrew's one of the best passing centers in the league. He's one of the best I've ever seen, and so for us to get him the ball on the elbows as a dribble-handoff guy, backdoor-pass guy, that will be emphasized," Kerr said.

Bogut is embracing the challenge to feed Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and the rest of Golden State's sharpshooters. He said he will play smarter, picking his spots when to put his body in harm's way.

But won't play afraid, he said, because that's just not the way he plays.

"It doesn't really worry me. I'm still kicking and breathing. I'm still playing basketball and doing what I love," Bogut said. "There's going to be obstacles everybody faces in their life. It's just unfortunate injuries for me. I could say it's bad luck or somebody put a hex on me, but you can't control it."

Some of you blokes have short memories. I wonder where this team would be if Monta Ellis was still here.

All Star
» Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:15 am
We just want to see him healthy, everyone knows what he is capable of doing. But when u become in-capable due to injury that is another story.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 am
He played 67 games last season. It was the timing of his injury and him missing the playoffs that people see. Had he gotten injured any other time and was available for the playoffs, not many would be saying anything negative about him injury wise. Maybe the team would have made the 2nd round or even more. With him here, the team has a chance to build a contender, without him and no replacement at least as good as him, which is very rare right now, the team will not be able to contend at all.

» Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:38 am
I agree with migya. Anything over 65 games out of Bogut is a passing grade. That's essentially 4 out of every 5 games. He had a great season last year, regardless of how disappointing it ended.

Rookie
» Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm
Ringo wrote:Some of you blokes have short memories. I wonder where this team would be if Monta Ellis was still here.

I was saying they should trade Monta years before they got around to it. When the fans reacted the way they did to that trade......gave me douchechills. The fans are not always the sharpest....

All Star
» Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:21 pm
We are still hung up on the Monta trade ? that is totally independent on Bogut's injury. The question I should have asked how to manage Bogut's minutes, so he will be ready for the playoffs, I know he is a manly man taking charges, playing rough, he might have to limit that due to injury. A capable Center is everything to this team, that is my main point. Every other position is pretty much set.