Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:21 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24628672/report-klay-thompson-looking-for-a-max-extension

Thompson's agent, Bill Duffy, has been seeking a max deal in extension talks with the Warriors as well. And while Golden State would surely prefer that the stance eventually softens and leads to a more palatable deal, the fact that he is younger means a max for Thompson would start at $15.7 million and still allow for more flexibility in the Warriors' future than a Love deal.

via Warriors won't overlook defense in Kevin Love talks.

A max extension for Thompson, on top of re-signing Love at max should they trade David Lee for him, could push their salaries into the $80 million-plus range, even after sending Lee's $15 million salary out in the deal. That could complicate matters dramatically, depending on the position of Warriors ownership toward the luxury tax.

Thompson is an elite shooter and projects as an above-average defender in time. If Gordon Hayward is worth the max, it's pretty easy to make the argument Thompson is. But Hayward is more versatile and can create more off the dribble. Thompson never really took that step last season and there's concern over making a major investment in a player that can't produce on his own with the ball.

But either way, if the Warriors get Love and keep Thompson, they're looking at a major tax bill unless they move someone like Andre Iguodala or Andrew Bogut.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm
Expected.

Lacob is on record with multiple news outlets claiming they'll resign Klay Thompson, no matter what kind of offer sheet he gets. Unless Joe wants to be known as a lying douche, he'll follow through. And, obviously, an 18 PPG, 40%-3-point-shooting, defensively elite, 6'7" SG who can lock-down an opposing team's 1 is going to command a maximum salary. It only takes one team and there will be PLENTY of potential suitors lining up for the chance to see if Golden State is stupid enough to let this guy walk.

The big show will be seeing how they allocate the necessary money to make that happen.

I expect management to SCRAMBLE in an attempt to shed David Lee's contract. And I expect a serious downgrade. I'm guessing we'll end up with a future 2nd round pick (or 1st rounder that'll no doubt be beyond #15) and a trade exception that expires.

The PR frontline of Fitzgerald, Papa, Tolbert, and Krueger will heavily try to sell us on Draymond Green as a starting 4... not that I don't think he COULD be a starter, mind you, but it's a straw man argument. The issue isn't whether Draymond Green could start or not, the issue is why are we downgrading from 2 guys who could start to just 1? I'm never in favor of trading an above-average asset for trash just so you can thin out your bench by plucking a valued fire starter on the B-Team and inserting him into the starting 5. But it's gonna happen. DLee's the odd man out... and I wouldn't be surprised to see them listen to offers for Bogut, too, if the price is right.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:23 pm
Whats the state of Klay's potential max contract now?

I have been reading kinda passively the last 1 1/2 years in here and I dont know that much about contracts, salary caps, salary minimums etc etc, especially not compared to to 32. Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldn't it be the smartest decision from the Warriors management to play it cool till summer and see if he DOESNT receive a max (which would be unlikely right, but he can have a bad season, injuries etc) and if he gets a max offer, just match it right away? I mean, whats the downside to that? Its probably kinda obvious for some of you in here which know much more than a casual Warrior fan from Denmark, but just wanted to put it out there as I want to know more about this side of basketball and also contribute to what to me seems like a very good community without that much activity these days...

Also, I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago discussing the Warriors starting five. To me, its the best starting five in basketball as of now (Cleveland would be in the conversation here, but we dont exactly how that will pan out - on the other hand, they have LeBron James...). Many in here will probably agree with that statement, biased or unbiased. The numbers from last year will probably back that up, I assume. But, the conversation in that podcast quickly turned into who the 'worst' player in that lineup was - Iggy, Klay, Lee or Bogut. From my view, you can make cases for either of them being the worst or 2. best on that roster, depending on the narrative.. my question is, would it be completely blasphemous to state Lee is the odd man out in that conversation? I can't believe I am saying that about an annual 18-10 guy, but..

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:53 pm
The news is Warriors are offering Klay 13 per year, not sure the years most likely 4 years, but as I thought Klay want about two to three million more. There are some factors to consider here the new cba agreement will actually provide NBA player with higher salaries. Look at the amount Parsons got Hayward in Utah. At the end the way the market is Klay gets his money.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 am
Hey guys!! I just uploaded my brand new mix, and yes, it's Klay Thompson. I hope you will like it. And I'm sorry if this isn't the right topic.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pygTEzfaalk[/youtube]

Return to Warriors Basketball