Welcome BACK, Brandon Rush!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:12 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--b ... 49971.html

2 years, $2.5 million! What a steal!

If Rush is ANYTHING close to the player he was pre-injury, the Warriors will have one of the most talented, dynamic backcourts in the entire league come 2015. Shaun Livingston and Brandon Rush would START on 8 teams in the East.

Our depth, as the roster currently stands:

PG - Steph Curry / Shaun Livingston
SG - Klay Thompson / Brandon Rush
SF - Andre Iguodala / Harrison Barnes
PF - David Lee / Draymond Green / Mo Speights
C5 - Andrew Bogut / Festus Ezeli

BAM, bra.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm
He must have looked sharp in his workout for them to sign him back. I guess that injury is healed alright. Anyway, at that price, it's not much of a risk. If he returns to his earlier level of play it will be quite a steal. It will be interesting to see the impact he and Livingston have, both having come back from injuries. I like the depth and the fact that Curry and Thompson will be getting more rest. If everything works out everyone should be fresh for the playoffs.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm
Welcome back! Another great signing!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 pm
He is such a great defender.

i think when he was here he was averaging over a block a game (or close to it) for a SG!!!

That's unheard of and something you don't see everyday.. Can hit open jump shots and 3's.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:33 am
32 wrote:

BAM, bra.

That's actually a really good roster. No true weaknesses, just a little small at the power forward spot, but there is still tremendous talent there. Health is the only real thing that gets in our way.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 am
If Rush is fully recovered this is a great signing but there are risks due to the severity of the injury he had. He is the primary backup SG and if he isn't fully healthy and capable the team will be lacking so hopefully he is good. Definitely a good backup backcourt now and the FO again has shown that they are patient and smart.

Now for a backup big to fill out the team.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:06 am
Stairway Man wrote:
32 wrote:

BAM, bra.

That's actually a really good roster. No true weaknesses, just a little small at the power forward spot, but there is still tremendous talent there. Health is the only real thing that gets in our way.

Yeah, dude, health is literally THE weakness of this team.

Between Ezeli, Rush, Livingston, Curry, Iguodala, and (of course) Andrew Beergut, we've got roughly 6 out of 12 active players that may go down for big periods of time at any moment throughout the season.

Amidst all this DLee-Klay trade talk, I'll say this for our starting PF/SG: those guys give you 80 games per. And Kevin Love, for all his strengths, doesn't.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:57 am
32 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
32 wrote:

BAM, bra.

Yeah, dude, health is literally THE weakness of this team.

Between Ezeli, Rush, Livingston, Curry, Iguodala, and (of course) Andrew Beergut, we've got roughly 6 out of 12 active players that may go down for big periods of time at any moment throughout the season.

Amidst all this DLee-Klay trade talk, I'll say this for our starting PF/SG: those guys give you 80 games per. And Kevin Love, for all his strengths, doesn't.

The Warriors are woefully inadequate at both power forward as well as at center: Lee plays no defense; Green is undersized; Speights is average (at best); Bogut is brittle; and Ezeli is coming off of an injury.

I agree with you on the health assessment of this team. I also see major attitude problems with both Lee and Bogut with Lee's fragile ego and lacking hustle on defense and Bogut's inability to play through pain and to step up when the team absolutely needs him. Both were thoroughly exposed in the Clipper playoff series.

Love the B Rush signing; hated seeing him previously go; and am ecstatic to have him back!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 am
I hold out hope that Mo Speights is better than what we observed last season. Statistically, he regressed across the board. Will he be the low-post presence that Carl Landry was? Of course not. But he's not without his strengths; Mo is easily twice the jump-shooter and driver that Landry is, yet last year we were hard pressed to find a single aspect of Speights' game that was superior to Landry. This season, with a true backup point guard in tow, I anticipate Speights - along with Barnes and Green - will step up in a major way.

I'm not sure I've seen the fragile ego of David Lee that you're referring to, but there's no argument that Bogut is as brittle as they come. I suppose we'll begin yet another season hoping for a full, healthy year out of him. Such a shame; he spent nearly all season on the active list and I was just about ready to erase his label as helplessly injury prone until literally 2 weeks prior to the playoffs. The only people who weren't downright shocked were Milwaukee Bucks fans; I know 2 personally and they both contest that Bogut has made a career out of disappearing when his team needs him most; be in on the offensive end of a crucial game or via the DL with a fluke injury (like we saw).

A Kevin Love upgrade will no doubt help... but is it wise to mortgage a stud like Thompson just to swap DLee with a guy who will play 30 less games a year than him? I'm not so sure... but I'd still pull the trigger on a Love deal without thinking twice. Anytime you end up with the best piece in a trade, it's worth doing.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:15 pm
32 wrote:I hold out hope that Mo Speights is better than what we observed last season. Statistically, he regressed across the board. Will he be the low-post presence that Carl Landry was? Of course not. But he's not without his strengths; Mo is easily twice the jump-shooter and driver that Landry is, yet last year we were hard pressed to find a single aspect of Speights' game that was superior to Landry. This season, with a true backup point guard in tow, I anticipate Speights - along with Barnes and Green - will step up in a major way.

I'm not sure I've seen the fragile ego of David Lee that you're referring to, but there's no argument that Bogut is as brittle as they come. I suppose we'll begin yet another season hoping for a full, healthy year out of him. Such a shame; he spent nearly all season on the active list and I was just about ready to erase his label as helplessly injury prone until literally 2 weeks prior to the playoffs. The only people who weren't downright shocked were Milwaukee Bucks fans; I know 2 personally and they both contest that Bogut has made a career out of disappearing when his team needs him most; be in on the offensive end of a crucial game or via the DL with a fluke injury (like we saw).

A Kevin Love upgrade will no doubt help... but is it wise to mortgage a stud like Thompson just to swap DLee with a guy who will play 30 less games a year than him? I'm not so sure... but I'd still pull the trigger on a Love deal without thinking twice. Anytime you end up with the best piece in a trade, it's worth doing.

Again, you hit the nail on the head.

I was expecting more from Speights last season. He actually had some stellar games. He just lacks consistency.

Lee does not possess the desire to play defense, was Mark Jackson's "pet," and is currently Lacob's pet. The team needs a Rottweiler not a poodle, and David Lee is a poodle.

What is so damned galling about Bogut is how he refused to get his fractured rib treated using a treatment which speeds up the healing process. Right before the playoffs, Gary Radnich had an orthopedist on who talked about how this procedure is used by professional athletes to speed up the healing process, how Charles Woodson had it done on his leg so that he could play in the Super Bowl vs Tampa (horrible game), and how Bogut could have been ready to play by Game 6 vs. the Clippers.

I would love to see Kevin Love on this team; however, it looks less likely today than it did a month ago. Sadly, in many ways, the Warriors have redundancy with both Curry and Thompson, with both players better playing shooting guard instead of point guard. It may take trading Curry for a true point guard and a good big man for this team to ever get over the hump (I hate this thought because I love watching Curry play as a Warrior).
Last edited by uptempo on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 pm
uptempo wrote:Sadly, in many ways, the Warriors have redundancy with both Curry and Thompson, with both players better playing shooting guard instead of point guard. It may take trading Curry for a true point guard and a good big man for this team to ever get over the hump (I hate this thought because I love watching Curry play as a Warrior).

Curry's the whole reason the team's going anywhere. You trade him and you are back at square one. Unless he is replaced with someone as good as him or better, the team will be weaker.

It basically takes two defenders to guard him, creating all kinds of advantages offensively. You can't gain those advantages with two "very good" players.

What they need to "get over the hump", is to keep him, and add another star (like Love).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:37 am
And it is because mainly because of Curry that anyone would consider coming here to play. He is a superstar and a great building block, not to mention the best valued contract there right now. He is not the team, as we have a number of very good players that fit in on the team but he is the best player we have.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 am
J1000 and Migya: I agree with both of your assessments. My concern centers around the team having hit a ceiling with the pieces that we have. OKC, San Antonio, Houston, Portland and the Clippers; they all are better than the Warriors. We saw the major deficiencies of David Lee in the playoff series vs the Clippers; the man has no upside and is currently both over-matched as well as not interested in playing defense. Curry, the best player on the team, does play off the ball well and may be better suited to be a superstar shooting guard. If management is not content on being a #6 playoff seed, then it will have to move pieces of the roster in order to get back better pieces. I have no affinity towards any one player; I only want the team to win and compete for a championship. I remember when the Warriors had lost Cazzie Russell in the off-season and traded one of the 50 All-time best NBA players, Nate Thurmond, for a serviceable Clifford Ray. We Warrior fans went into the season with very low expectations. Guess what happened? That very team went on to win the NBA championship! Dick Vertlieb, the GM for that Warrior team was fearless and had only one mission: win an NBA championship.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:29 pm
I think Iguodala may be regressing now but that might just be because of injury. We'll see how he plays next season. Lee and Bogut I don't think will regress just yet. Lee doesn't rely on physical skills to play the way he does but rather on smarts and craftiness. Bogut is very smart and also doesn't rely much on physical skills. The team has young players that should only get better in Barnes and DGreen, so there'll be improvement there. Maybe Klay will get better also. The team as is will get at least a bit better.

Return to Warriors Basketball