Warriors Trade Exception

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:07 pm
Really worried the Warriors FO are going to let the 9.8m trade exception expire.

This could be used for a valuable peace..

pull your finger out Myers. You only have a couple of days.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 am
I actually think the hold up in using it is in case no deal for Love can be done without it. Minnesota wants to get rid of KMartin's contract, which last three more years and averages about 7 million. If we were to trade Klay and Lee for example, we could get Love alone but would have to use a portion of the TE to include KMartin. If we added Speights or Barnes, no need to use the TE.

I want PGasol in sign and trade for part of the TE, as I think he should sign with us for no more than 6-7 million, as he wants to go to a contender and by signing for more would put us over the luxury tax line. Frye of Phoenix is another good big we could get in a S&T using the TE and he is a great outside shooter that'd fit in.

I hope Meyers realises that adding PGasol or Frye and not trading for Love is probably better at this point, especially if we were to get KMartin, who would salary strap us as such for the next two or three years.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:13 am
migya wrote:I actually think the hold up in using it is in case no deal for Love can be done without it. Minnesota wants to get rid of KMartin's contract, which last three more years and averages about 7 million. If we were to trade Klay and Lee for example, we could get Love alone but would have to use a portion of the TE to include KMartin. If we added Speights or Barnes, no need to use the TE.

I want PGasol in sign and trade for part of the TE, as I think he should sign with us for no more than 6-7 million, as he wants to go to a contender and by signing for more would put us over the luxury tax line. Frye of Phoenix is another good big we could get in a S&T using the TE and he is a great outside shooter that'd fit in.

I hope Meyers realises that adding PGasol or Frye and not trading for Love is probably better at this point, especially if we were to get KMartin, who would salary strap us as such for the next two or three years.

There better be movement in the next few days otherwise it's going to go to waste.

Seems like they are sitting idle and this is exactly what is going to happen.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:52 am
looks like they are going to lose it. Definitely not the first time in the past few years they would have wasted a good opportunity.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:looks like they are going to lose it. Definitely not the first time in the past few years they would have wasted a good opportunity.

Is it really wasting it though? It feels like dubs fans just want the FO to do something for the sake of doing something, but if the right deal isn't there, then why force the issue? I like that we are operating on our own terms, as we have since the new regime has taken over - which that's a different way of looking at this: we are patient, dictate the terms, and won't settle for anything less.

I think we are still very much in the conversation for Love, simply because few other suitors have been mentioned seriously, and none to the degree that we have. It's obvious that we have what they covet the most, Klay, at least of the teams in the conversation. On the topic of teams in the conversation, it's clear that Love is vetoing potential moves behind the scenes, because we all know Boston and others would be willing to trade a king's ransom for him, yet we haven't heard really anything out of them. Love holds a lot of power in this situation, as do we being one of the teams he wants to play for.

I like how we're handling this situation, because we are showing a lot of poise. It's completely unlike how we used to approach free agency, where we'd laughably, desperately throw our hat into the ring when it comes to any top FA/available player.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 pm
JREED wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:looks like they are going to lose it. Definitely not the first time in the past few years they would have wasted a good opportunity.

Is it really wasting it though? It feels like dubs fans just want the FO to do something for the sake of doing something, but if the right deal isn't there, then why force the issue? I like that we are operating on our own terms, as we have since the new regime has taken over - which that's a different way of looking at this: we are patient, dictate the terms, and won't settle for anything less.

I think we are still very much in the conversation for Love, simply because few other suitors have been mentioned seriously, and none to the degree that we have. It's obvious that we have what they covet the most, Klay, at least of the teams in the conversation. On the topic of teams in the conversation, it's clear that Love is vetoing potential moves behind the scenes, because we all know Boston and others would be willing to trade a king's ransom for him, yet we haven't heard really anything out of them. Love holds a lot of power in this situation, as do we being one of the teams he wants to play for.

I like how we're handling this situation, because we are showing a lot of poise. It's completely unlike how we used to approach free agency, where we'd laughably, desperately throw our hat into the ring when it comes to any top FA/available player.

I agree that our FO has got to do things on their terms but also think this TE is a major piece in upgrading. I think with it we could have a three or four team trade getting Minnesota a player they would be happy having in place of Klay and only giving up Lee, Barnes and possibly the 2015 1st rounder.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 pm
I think the state of the NBA where stars have more influence than any other sport make it that way. I mean, look how free agency is at a stand still. If that trade exception would have made it easier to get Love, then it was a waste. Maybe it wasn't though.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think the state of the NBA where stars have more influence than any other sport make it that way. I mean, look how free agency is at a stand still. If that trade exception would have made it easier to get Love, then it was a waste. Maybe it wasn't though.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just think it's the wrong way to look at it. Also consider that we pulled Klay back of the table (more of a symbolic gesture, but still), so maybe the two sides were never as close as we thought. Who knows, but I am happy that we at least didn't appear desperate as we have in past years.

It's all likely a moot point now anyways, as Love is likely going to CLE now anyways. Actually (conspiracy theory time), I think this was all part of Bron Bron's plan. He knew we were front runners and that we could easily put together to most attractive package for Love (Klay + anything = most attractive package), he also knew that no big move would go down prior to his decision. So is it coincidence that LeBron announces his decision the morning after our trade exception expires, and we wait all this time to put Livingston in front of cameras (who gonna present a jersey to a guy that'll be gone in under a week anyways?)? I think the King played us, as he does with everyone. He's truly the first Player/Coach/GM.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:16 pm
JREED wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think the state of the NBA where stars have more influence than any other sport make it that way. I mean, look how free agency is at a stand still. If that trade exception would have made it easier to get Love, then it was a waste. Maybe it wasn't though.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just think it's the wrong way to look at it. Also consider that we pulled Klay back of the table (more of a symbolic gesture, but still), so maybe the two sides were never as close as we thought. Who knows, but I am happy that we at least didn't appear desperate as we have in past years.

It's all likely a moot point now anyways, as Love is likely going to CLE now anyways. Actually (conspiracy theory time), I think this was all part of Bron Bron's plan. He knew we were front runners and that we could easily put together to most attractive package for Love (Klay + anything = most attractive package), he also knew that no big move would go down prior to his decision. So is it coincidence that LeBron announces his decision the morning after our trade exception expires, and we wait all this time to put Livingston in front of cameras (who gonna present a jersey to a guy that'll be gone in under a week anyways?)? I think the King played us, as he does with everyone. He's truly the first Player/Coach/GM.

It'll be interesting what happens now that Lebron has returned to Cleveland. Does look likely that Love will be targeted and he'll probably go there, that is a stacked team.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm
This isn't a big deal.

$9 million players are hard to obtain. Most come in 2 forms: (A) guys who are overpaid - like Biedrins and RJeff - and there's literally no reason for the Warriors to absorb another big contract when they're already strapped for cash with Iggy, Lee, and Bogut... and (B) guys who are bargains at $9 million - Curry was this type of player after he inked his extension. No team is gonna give you a bargain player like that for nothing. If anything, those guys are the most heavily valued guys on their teams.

Since the trade exception cannot be packaged, it can't be combined with a guy like DLee ($15 mil) to obtain a guy making $24 mil a year.

I'm glad we didn't make a deal just to make a deal. Sure, I'd love the ideal situation where we obtain another gun for absolutely nothing... but if that dream scenario isn't there, why absorb a bad contract when you don't have to?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Warriors Basketball