Welcome new Warriror Shaun Livingston

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24603194/reports-shaun-livingston-reaches-agreement-on-three-year-deal-with-warriors

More Offseason Analysis: Updating Free Agency news | Top 40 free agents

CBSSports.com's Ken Berger confirms reports from ESPN, Yahoo, and USA Today that the Golden State Warriors have reached an agreement with free agent point guard Shaun Livingston. The deal is for a reported three-years, $16 million with a partial guarantee in the third year. To sign Livingston, the Warriors used the full Mid-Level Exception available to them.

It's tremendous value for the Warriors, who addressed a key need at backup point guard and also provided themselves with an insurance policy in the unlikely event that they trade Klay Thompson (conceivably in a Kevin Love deal, or otherwise). Livingston turns just 29 next season, and averaged 8.3 points and 3.2 assists per game for the Nets shooting 48 percent from the field. He's the rare Warriors guard who doesn't shoot well from the perimeter, but they needed a floor general and perimeter defender more than another shooter anyway.

The departure of Jordan Crawford paved the way for Livingston's addition. The Nets will miss what Livingston brought last season, as the veteran guard started several games in place of Deron Williams last year. Livingston's career was nearly cut short by a severe knee injury early on with the Clippers, but he battled to not only return as a rotation player, but a quality defender with a strong post game and good instincts. This makes the Warriors better.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 pm
Though Livingston was among the best backup PGs last season the fO could have done better with the MLE, like going for PGasol. A good enough backup PG could have been had for no more than 2 million a year and since Curry gets so many minutes at PG, the backup won't get much so seems overpriced getting Livingston for that much. Unless Klay goes in a trade for Love, thus opening up alot more minutes for Livingston, this was not a very good signing.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:07 am
migya wrote:Though Livingston was among the best backup PGs last season the fO could have done better with the MLE, like going for PGasol. A good enough backup PG could have been had for no more than 2 million a year and since Curry gets so many minutes at PG, the backup won't get much so seems overpriced getting Livingston for that much. Unless Klay goes in a trade for Love, thus opening up alot more minutes for Livingston, this was not a very good signing.


Jodie Meeks just went for 19 million. We definitely got Livingston on a steal.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:36 am
Blackfoot wrote:
migya wrote:Though Livingston was among the best backup PGs last season the fO could have done better with the MLE, like going for PGasol. A good enough backup PG could have been had for no more than 2 million a year and since Curry gets so many minutes at PG, the backup won't get much so seems overpriced getting Livingston for that much. Unless Klay goes in a trade for Love, thus opening up alot more minutes for Livingston, this was not a very good signing.


Jodie Meeks just went for 19 million. We definitely got Livingston on a steal.


By that market value, yes, but overall it all depends on the situation we have and how many minutes Livingston gets.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:33 pm
Good pick up, addresses the back-up point guard position, and a point guard who has the height to play while curry is also in.

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:02 pm
Looks like a good pickup. Curious to see if this precludes the Love trade (which could include terrible defender Martin).
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Looks like a good pickup. Curious to see if this precludes the Love trade (which could include terrible defender Martin).


If great defender Klay goes, it does make alot of sense.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:05 pm
great pick up. best back up pg in nba. plays 2 positions and can defend two positions. will give us a lot more versatility with our line ups
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:29 pm
Livingston will be a better backup PG than Jarrett Jack was.

We don't need a guy who wants to shoot from the perimeter, like Jack did. He was redundant and I was glad to see him go. All year long, I kept saying that Jack was playing above his head and even when several of you fools tried to tell me otherwise, I said he'd fall back to earth after his extension. Score 1 for 32. We didn't need a long-range gunner with a shoot-first mentality.

We have a lot of those already. We want a PG who can guard the tough matchup for Steph when they play together (and Livingston can guard the 1 through 3). We want a playmaker who can get guys like Harrison Barnes, Mo Speights, Draymond Green, and the 2nd unit rolling. We want an offensive player who scores by slashing and backing guys down, not another redundant shooter like Jack or Nate Robinson or CJ Watson.

Shaun Livingston might win 6th Man of the Year next year. You heard it here first.

And expect a huge bounce-back year from Mo Speights. The guy played infinitely better alongside Steve Blake and Steph Curry; pure PGs who know how to get their bigs involved in the offense. Livingston is not only a better pure playmaker than Curry, Jack, Robinson, Douglas, or Crawford... he's a hilariously, almost unfairly better pure point guard who orchestrates an offense among the best in the league at backup PG.

His idol growing up was Magic Johnson. By December, you dudes will understand why.

League-Pass guys, like me, are STOKED off this deal.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:58 pm
YOU FUKKEN WOT M8!?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm
I loved Jack, tbh. Lol.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron