Kevin Love Interested in Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:23 am
Love is a superstar. He has performed well for a rather awful Minnesota team, carrying the load for a number of years now. I think his defense is not great but also not as bad as many think and being with Bogut, maybe he'll become better at that. What Love also is is young and that is a very big factor. If he agrees to at least not opt out in one year, he is ours and then we hold the ability to sign him for more money per year and for one more year (five) than any other team will be able to. Lee is now thirty if I remember correctly and though his game does not rely on athleticism, he might start regressing as soon as next season, even if in a minor way. Love also plays according to smarts and skill, so he too could keep this level of play for some ten more years, another reason why he is valuable.

I wouldn't trade Klay, Lee and Barnes for Love and KMartin, Barnes could well finally rise and be the player many thought he could be and KMartin is too highly paid for what he gives, counting his negatives. Minnesota will have to give more than that if they want more than Klay and Lee. The package I heard was Klay, Lee and 2015 1st rounder for Love and KMartin but even that I don't want. I'd do the deal if it was replacing KMartin with Barea, as he has only one year left on his contract and for about 4 million. Either that or they give their #13 in this draft.

The FO really should be looking at one or two other teams to be included in a trade for Love, to include players that are more desirable to both us and Minnesota.

I think this is the best chance to trade Lee and replace him with an improvement but that does not mean that the FO thinks desperate. Minnesota is in the weak position and Lee and Klay are the second and third best players on the team, arguably. Klay will sign an extension here if he isn't traded and Lee likely would resign in two years for half of what he is on now so everything is alright.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:23 pm
Despite reports of a split in the Warriors management, I think they would probably do that deal if they had to - Klay, Lee, and the pick for Love and Martin. I would. But as it is still relatively early in negotiations, they are just in bargaining mode, waiting to see if Minnesota really insists on it, or maybe later will be willing to accept some other scenario, where they don't have to give up Klay. If Minnesota comes to the conclusion that they can't get exactly what they want, they'll settle for something else. Something is better than nothing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:13 pm
The more I look at it, the more I don't like getting Love with no agreed opt in or extension. We are the ones in the weak position then and we in reality are not, it is the total opposite, Love has said he wants out of Minnesota so they are the ones in the total weak position. Giving up Klay and Lee, two players that score over 18pts and both top 10 at their position, Klay I think top 5, has to be for total security.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:30 pm
migya wrote:The more I look at it, the more I don't like getting Love with no agreed opt in or extension. We are the ones in the weak position then and we in reality are not, it is the total opposite, Love has said he wants out of Minnesota so they are the ones in the total weak position. Giving up Klay and Lee, two players that score over 18pts and both top 10 at their position, Klay I think top 5, has to be for total security.

Of course. The Warriors won't do any deal for Love unless he signs an extension as part of it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:10 pm
J1000 wrote:
migya wrote:The more I look at it, the more I don't like getting Love with no agreed opt in or extension. We are the ones in the weak position then and we in reality are not, it is the total opposite, Love has said he wants out of Minnesota so they are the ones in the total weak position. Giving up Klay and Lee, two players that score over 18pts and both top 10 at their position, Klay I think top 5, has to be for total security.

Of course. The Warriors won't do any deal for Love unless he signs an extension as part of it.

I hope that's what Meyers and the FO are thinking because it would be complete gambling to not get Love resigned.

What I just read is that Dallas are aiming to get PGasol as FA and then look to get Carmelo. I think they become far more attractive to the big FAs, Carmelo, Lebron, Wde and Bosh, if they can sign PGasol. Meyers needs to contact PGasol and his agent and try to get him to sign here for the MLE or do a sign and trade for part of the TE. He could sign here for 6-7 million, no more and have a serious chance at a championship or two at least.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 am
I am not sure if there is a better fit for the warriors than adding K love. It makes so much sense that it is upsetting. Beyond the fact he can shoot from the outside he is probably one of the smartest, fundamentally skilled player in the league. He would also be the post presence who could command the needed double team to open up the perimeter game the warriors are deadly with. It saddens me things have stalled. I would have given Kay, Lee and a future first in a heart beat for K-Love and Martin.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 am
I have wanted Love for almost three years and saw that it may be possible and here we are. In saying that, he has to opt in or sign an extension before any trade for him. It is also giving too much to give Lee and Klay, not to mention the 2015 1st rounder that I wouldn't give anyway, and also get KMartin back, who is nothing but a scorer, woeful at everything else and is paid a fairly high amount for another three years. It should be Lee and Klay for Love and that's with Love already agreed to opt in or resign.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:49 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:
Ringo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:The Warriors should offer Lee and Bogut for Love, which would allow for us to jettison two "useless-in-the-playoffs" players for a star power forward.

Festus is much better suited for the spread the floor offense that Kerr is likely to install than Mr. MIA Bogut anyway.

In trades, the team which lands the star always wins. Let's see if Myers can pull this one off.

Go Warriors!

That's crazy talk. Why offer Bogut and Lee right off the bat when you can offer Lee and Barnes? Do you realize what you are saying? 2 useless in the playoffs players? The Warriors beat Denver in the playoffs last year mainly because of Bogut. Love on the other hand has never even played in the playoffs.

You said the team that lands the star always wins. Well first of all, Minnesota landed Love and they have never made the playoffs, and secondly, what about the time Denver traded away Iverson or Melo? They only got better and Detroit got worse when they got Iverson. You clearly are not making much sense here.

I agree Stairway Man.

I gotta say, I admit with the peanut gallery, uptempo. Have you forgotten Bogut's Russell-esque 1st round against Denver? I know Curry gets all the ink, but the Warriors don't win that series without Andrew Bogut. Plus, Kerr has mentioned he'll run a triangle-like offense and great passing bigs like Bogut & Lee THRIVE with the spacing created by the triangle.

But in regards to the topic: I've said it for 3 years, you CANNOT clown an offer for Kevin Love. It will take Klay Thompson, plus David Lee, and likely Harrison Barnes, with us taking back Barrea's contract (which isn't the worst thing in the world, considering we're desperate for a backup PG), plus another bench player (Turiaf or Brewer, depending on where Myers wants to add depth).

Don't believe me?

Boston will offer Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and 2 first round picks (they have like 5 first rounders in 3 years). That's WAY more attractive thst DLee, Harrison Barnes, and garbage.

Hell, it's probably better than our offer with Klay.

If Boston puts Bradley AND Green in a package with 2 of their top picks, we've got next to no shot. It would take a 3rd team and a huge miracle for us to get enough expendable assets to beat that deal.

32, the board misses your insights and analysis. Welcome back! Let's get after it with some hard-core Warrior talk...

Addition by subtraction: I refuse to look at the Denver series as a form of Bogus...err... 'Bogut-redemption.' I would rather see Festus starting with Love than see a weak-willed Bogus and a anemic David Lee who is afraid to go at a Griffin, Duncan, Aldridge, or a Durant in the Warriors starting lineup. Also, the Denver series was won because Lee was gone and Barnes stepped up, which has always been my main criticism of Coach Jackson. Yes, he was a great players' coach and a guy who got this team to play some serious defense; however, he coddled David Lee and retarded the progress of Barnes by continuing to start Lee at power forward when Barnes was the perfect stretch 4 power forward. The Warriors will be a much better team without the malinger and fragile-ego-ed Bogut/Lee duo.

My friend, Andrew Bogut's series vs Denver saw him average 10 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game on 60% shooting against a roster that broke Shaquille O'Neal & the 2001 Lakers' points-in-the-the-paint record. Denver's biggest advantage (scoring inside) was essentially neutralized - and, again, we're talking about a team that scored high percentage shots better than any other team in the history of basketball; the Chamberlains and Russells and Jordan teams included. While I agree that Festus Ezeli is a tremendous young talent, to ask the same of a rookie big man seems extreme to me. I'd wager the more likely outcome of benching Bogut would have been watching Ezeli pick up quick fouls and ride the bench while Draymond Green filled in at center... And we won't even dive into the harder-to-prove case of Curry having to struggle to find looks amongst Denver's triple teams without big-bodied Bogut out there to set his wide-framed screens (a tactic that Curry himself praised throughout the playoffs). For a man that shares my disdain for Nellieball (unless I'm mistaken?), your strategy seems woefully close to small ball - which has been proven time and time again to be ineffective in a playoff atmosphere.

I'm afraid I'll once again have to disagree with you. Andrew Bogut was tremendously important to the 1st round victory versus Denver and his 16.1 PER throughout the series (a stat which is heavily dependent on shooting the ball) attests to that. Denver's triple-headed monster of Koufus-McGee-Mozgof was rendered totally useless against the former #1 overall pick.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:13 pm
Pertaining to the topic of Kevin Love, it's really quite simple:

A) the Warriors inquired about Love.

B) the Wolves proclaimed Boston, Chicago, & Golden State as the front-runners with the best packages, listing New York and Los Angeles (Lakers) as potential sleepers.

C) The Wolves leaked the potential deals for Love, the main 3 being:

CHI - J. Butler, T. Gibson, & C. Boozer's expiring contract, plus a late 1st round pick, & cash
BOS - J. Green, J. Sullinger, 2 first round picks (both lottery), and cash
GSW - D. Lee, H. Barnes, late 1st round pick, & cash

D) Upon learning what other teams were offering, GS added Klay Thompson to their offer. Boston hinted at adding Avery Bradley in response, but nothing solid was ever reported. With Thompson, GS's deal now became:

GSW - K. Thompson, D. Lee, H. Barnes/1st round pick, & cash

This package was said to be in exchange for K. Love & K. Martin.

E) Minnesota flinched: said they'd take the deal, but they wanted both Barnes AND the pick, plus they were trying to get GS to take J. Barrea instead of K. Martin.

F) GSW held an internal meeting to discuss the deal, where it was discovered that they had an internal split on the prospect of giving up Klay Thompson; Jerry West & Steve Kerr going on record as being against trading Thompson, the opposition assumed being Joe Lacob & Bob Myers (who are both willing to trade him for Love).

G) Is where we are today (6/24). It's rumored that any deal for Love will be consumated on draft day (the 26th), so if Golden State doesn't end up with Love it will be due to one of two reasons: (1), Boston added Avery Bradley to their package and Love ends up a Celtic OR (2) the Warriors renounce their offer if Klay Thompson and Love ends up in Boston or Chicago.

If you'd have asked me anytime within the past 3 years, I'd have told you that any package for Love HAD to include Thompson and since the Warriors were ending up with the best player in the deal, it would have been justified. Now... I'm not so sure. Solely because Jerry West, IMO, us one of the top 3 GM minds this game has ever seen. If he thinks it's more prudent to hold into Thompson than to acquire Love, I'd probably listen to him... Even though he's advocating an idea that I don't necessarily agree with. Love is easily twice the player Klay is TODAY, but in 3 years whose to say he doesn't regress like Pau Gasol has in his time with LA? Granted, Gasol brought LA two championships, sooo... It's a crap shoot. It really is. And it takes a better mind than mine to predict where a given player will rank 3, 5, 7 years from now. Which is why I defer to West. He's seen players grow up and grow old and he knows better than anyone how these deals will turn out as time goes on. Will I throw a party the day we acquire Love? Absolutely. But if we surrender Thompson, it won't be as easy as when we ditched Monta Ellis, that's for sure.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 pm
The "fairest" trade would be Klay and Lee for Love (opted in or extended) and either Barea (one year left on contract that pays about 4.52 million) or their #13 in the draft.

I say this taking everything into account: Klay will only get better and is already a top 5 SG, the best at playing both sides of the court, is also young and is the second best outside shooter in the nba, after Curry. Klay is out of contract in one year and will likely ask for about 12 million a year to resign, pretty much the max salary for his length of career. Lee is arguably a top 10 PF, top 5 offensively and is an expirer in one year, making him a great trade asset. Lee also likely will resign for about half of what he is on now when his contract ends, making him then good value, as he won't regress much since his game is not reliant on athleticism and physicality. Love is arguably the best PF, though some say it is Aldridge or Griffin, and he is young, so likely won't fall from his current level for a few years. Love will likely ask for max salary when he resigns and that is around about 20 million starting salary, going up every year. That means the team won't afford paying any other player anything above 4 or 5 million and will likely go into the luxury tax most years.

One of the most important facts to take into account with the team is that the current starting five had the highest winning percentage of any in the nba and only injuries hindered those five players from playing together for more games last season. It was the bench, that though upgraded at about mid season, was weak. Most contenders teams have at least two superstars and we only have one, Curry, but we also have probably the most players in the top 10 at their positions; Curry, Klay, Lee, Bogut and arguably Iguodala. By trading for Love we won't be in a position to have that again and actually will rely heavily on Curry and Love to score, at least looking at the likely resulting roster after trading for Love. Do we improve is the point?

Unless the FO can add players that improve the team, outside of getting Love, the team might not really improve. It all fits great right now and maybe just getting two more players, using the TE and MLE, two very good players, is enough to truly be a top 4 team in the nba and contend. I think PGasol and Pierce could be obtained this offseason, with or without the Love trade and just getting one of them could make the team that much better to be at least a top 4 team in the West.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:31 pm
So we are going to put all our marbles on Curry and Thompson to take us to the promise land instead of Love and Curry ? I just don't see it. We are offering the Timberwolves the best offer, if they also want Barnes along with Lee and Kay that is asking too much, but Lee, Thompson, and next years draft is enough (which will be in the teens anyways). Apparently the warriors didn't want to pull the trigger because of Thompson.

I can't explain this any more love is a top tier all-star who had no help in Minny, he comes here him and Curry will be like Nash and Dirk. And my personal opinion K lay is a bit over-rated he is a good player deadly shooter but he can't create very well for himself or others. Big mistake if they refused this deal.

K-love is young and won't regress much, in-fact at his age he is right around his prime and will continue to improve. He would be a real important piece. People wanted to see David Lee traded this was one of the few PF that was goimg to be an upgrade from him.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm
There are levels to this, even if Lee and Klay are top 10 in their position they are not on the level of K-love. I wouldn't crown Klay top 5 shooting guard so fast
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 am
Love is a superstar, that is for sure but unless he opts in or signs an extension he is here for one year and no sure thing to stay. As I said before, it will be difficult to improve the bench with Love resigning here at over 20 million as well. That has to factor in because for the flaws Lee has, he gets it done and will not resign for anywhere near what he is on now but it is almost a sure thing he will stay here, not so much with Love. At the very least we need assurances from Love before we trade for him.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am
warriorsstepup wrote:So we are going to put all our marbles on Curry and Thompson to take us to the promise land instead of Love and Curry ? I just don't see it. We are offering the Timberwolves the best offer, if they also want Barnes along with Lee and Kay that is asking too much, but Lee, Thompson, and next years draft is enough (which will be in the teens anyways). Apparently the warriors didn't want to pull the trigger because of Thompson.

I can't explain this any more love is a top tier all-star who had no help in Minny, he comes here him and Curry will be like Nash and Dirk. And my personal opinion K lay is a bit over-rated he is a good player deadly shooter but he can't create very well for himself or others. Big mistake if they refused this deal.

K-love is young and won't regress much, in-fact at his age he is right around his prime and will continue to improve. He would be a real important piece. People wanted to see David Lee traded this was one of the few PF that was goimg to be an upgrade from him.

This is pretty much my sentiment.

Love is a top 10 player. That can't be argued.

So the questions becomes: is Klay a top 10 player? I think we'd all agree, that answer is no. But he's still young, he's still growing as a player... And I suppose the more important question is: 2, 5, 8 years down the line, will Klay Thompson be a top 10 player then? And, while this is just my educated guess, I'd have to say the answer to that is no as well.

So let's get this straight: we refused a top 10 player for the sake of one kid whose probably never going to be a top 10 player?

You're right, WSU. Bad move. I'd have traded Thompson for Love 20 times over by now.
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:12 pm
It's Klay's inability to break people down off the dribble that will always keep him on the outer edge of top players in the league. As a guard/wing, any that are truly elite have this ability. Klay's never shown it and just doesn't have it. Not saying it can't be developed but if he really had what it takes to kill dudes out there, it would have been shown by now. This doesn't mean he can't be an all-star, and a very good/great player, but being mentioned among the top players in the league is not in his future.

Yeah it kind of surprises me the deal hasn't been done yet. But I get the impression the Warriors are just waiting to see if they can get a better deal on Love than they have been offered. I think they feel they have the best to offer among all the teams, so Minnesota will eventually come back to them and agree to something a bit less demanding. It's kind of a bold move, to risk losing out on Love, but strategically I guess it makes sense in that if they went ahead with what is being asked for now, they would be giving up a great deal. I personally probably would have given in already though.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball