Kevin Love Interested in Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 pm
JREED wrote:I think malinger is a bit harsh. The dude played with a broken rib, when it snapped, he decided to not risk permanent injury. Other than that, he's had some injuries not common in basketball. I think he needs to reevaluate the way he plays, because I believe it's his over-aggressive play that leads to him constantly riding the bench.

It was a fractured rib, not a broken rib. He could have had it treated with an advanced orthopedic technique which would have had him back and ready to play by no later than Game 6 vs. the Clippers. Bogut showed us loyal Warrior fans that he is just collecting a check and not earning his keep. Lee would have helped the team immensely in the playoffs if he had just shut it down; instead, he, Lee, played, took away minutes from both Green and Barnes, and never hustled to get back on defense throughout the playoff series vs the Clippers.

These two clowns need to go on their merry way so that this Warrior team can play players who show both effort as well as effectiveness.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 am
Yeah, the Warriors were doing just fine before Bogut turned up and ruined everything :roll:.
It was a fractured rib, not a broken rib.
I'm no doctor but a fractured rib is still a broken rib.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 pm
I'm in the medical field. Can confirm that a fracture is a broken bone.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:36 am
8th ave wrote:I'm in the medical field. Can confirm that a fracture is a broken bone.

Let me guess, gynecology?

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:06 am
Just read that it has been heavily rumoured that the we will be getting Love in the following trade - Klay, Barnes, Lee and a 2015 1st round pick for Love and KMartin.

If this in fact is true, though I'd rather not give Klay, I am alright with it because it gives us that second superstar and KMartin is a good scorer at least and not that expensive at 7.5 million and two more years left on his contract. With the TE and MLE the FO can get at least two good players as well while staying just under the luxury tax.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:55 am
migya wrote:Just read that it has been heavily rumoured that the we will be getting Love in the following trade - Klay, Barnes, Lee and a 2015 1st round pick for Love and KMartin.

If this in fact is true, though I'd rather not give Klay, I am alright with it because it gives us that second superstar and KMartin is a good scorer at least and not that expensive at 7.5 million and two more years left on his contract. With the TE and MLE the FO can get at least two good players as well while staying just under the luxury tax.

It's possible that could happen. Hate to see Klay go....I guess Martin would help alleviate the loss of Klay on the offensive end a bit. But he's getting a little bit older now, and his defense, which is already pretty much unacceptable, will just become worse. In fact it might be the case that they simply might be better without him on the floor, instead playing someone who is a better defender, while not as good of a scorer. It would depend on the given situation and matchups. Sometimes one compromise is worth making, and sometimes another is...

It sucks the idea of not having Klay. At first I was totally against it. But I'm starting to think the positives of what Love gives you outweigh the negatives of what you are losing...
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 pm
Klay, Barnes, Lee and a 2015 1st round pick

too much imo. Does Love + Martin get you more wins than Klay + Lee ?
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:42 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Klay, Barnes, Lee and a 2015 1st round pick

This trade will likely make them weaker defensively, but offensively they'll be stronger.

It's a tough decision letting Klay go but I do think adding Love to the rest of the team does get you more wins. I don't even really factor Martin into this. I would probably rather not have Martin on my team to be honest, except maybe to bring him off the bench occasionally for some scoring punch. But he will probably give up as many points as he will score, if not more, so you have to choose your situations and match ups for when it is advantageous to have him on the floor.

On the offensive end Love can do so many different things from all over the floor. He can hit threes like Klay does, making up for some of what was lost. With his "floor-stretching", and his passing ability, the dynamic on the floor will change quite a bit. It will create a lot of open shots for his teammates. Much more so than with the current lineup in my opinion.

Defensively, they may slip somewhat, but I think the improvements offensively will more than make up for it.

There are a few different scenarios for this trade being reported. The latest I read is Lee and Thompson for Love, Martin, J.J. Berea and Minnesota's No. 1 pick (13th overall).
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:05 pm
J1000 wrote:

There are a few different scenarios for this trade being reported. The latest I read is Lee and Thompson for Love, Martin, J.J. Berea and Minnesota's No. 1 pick (13th overall).

Yes, this seems to be the latest trade scenario.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11108 ... love-trade

I would take the offer of Love, Martin, Barea and the 13th pick for Lee and Thompson every day of the week. I would amnesty Barea but the addition of the 13th pick and Martin are just bonuses. I like Lee and Thompson but Love is a superstar and the best player in the NBA in his position. Draymond Green's development last season means that he needs to start or at least play a lot of minutes. We could have a starting 5 of Curry, Iguodala, Green, Love and Bogut with Martin, Barnes and Ezeli off the bench. That would be the best passing starting 5 in the NBA. I'm hoping that we can keep Blake for reasonable money but we could pick up a good prospect with the 13th pick in the draft.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Ringo wrote:
J1000 wrote:

I would take the offer of Love, Martin, Barea and the 13th pick for Lee and Thompson every day of the week. I would amnesty Barea but the addition of the 13th pick and Martin are just bonuses. I like Lee and Thompson but Love is a superstar and the best player in the NBA in his position. Draymond Green's development last season means that he needs to start or at least play a lot of minutes. We could have a starting 5 of Curry, Iguodala, Green, Love and Bogut with Martin, Barnes and Ezeli off the bench. That would be the best passing starting 5 in the NBA. I'm hoping that we can keep Blake for reasonable money but we could pick up a good prospect with the 13th pick in the draft.

We used our amnesty on Charlie Bell. Were we given another amnesty?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:07 pm
J1000 wrote:

This trade will likely make them weaker defensively, but offensively they'll be stronger.

It's a tough decision letting Klay go but I do think adding Love to the rest of the team does get you more wins. I don't even really factor Martin into this. I would probably rather not have Martin on my team to be honest, except maybe to bring him off the bench occasionally for some scoring punch. But he will probably give up as many points as he will score, if not more, so you have to choose your situations and match ups for when it is advantageous to have him on the floor.

On the offensive end Love can do so many different things from all over the floor. He can hit threes like Klay does, making up for some of what was lost. With his "floor-stretching", and his passing ability, the dynamic on the floor will change quite a bit. It will create a lot of open shots for his teammates. Much more so than with the current lineup in my opinion.

Defensively, they may slip somewhat, but I think the improvements offensively will more than make up for it.

I don't mind having KMartin for one year, then trading him as an expirer next offseason. He can score, hit the outside shot quite well and most importantly get to the foul line, something Klay doesn't do much of, being more a shooter than anything else. In fact, that could well be a key thing if we got Love and Klay, that they both draw fouls and shoot a good number of FTs, a stat that the team was one of the least at, getting FTs. KMartin isn't much of a passer ans is a terrible defender but his offense could be valuable at times. I would be open to trading him to a third team for one or two serviceable players, even a future 1st or 2nd rounder but that's only if our FO can get at least one other player that can score enough to offset the loss of Klay's scoring some three quarters (75%, so about 14-15pts a game).

As for KMartin giving up as many points as he scores himself, not necessarily because the team plays a very good team defense that could buffer KMartin's opposing player from scoring easily. I think DGreen starting at SF and Iguodala at SG would be the best lineup most of the time, being amazing defensively, as well as at almost every other aspect of the game. KMartin is still serviceable and used well could be quite valuable.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 pm
Ringo wrote:
J1000 wrote:

Love, Martin, Barea and the 13th pick for Lee and Thompson doesn't work salary wise so can't be done and there is no reason why Minnesota would give us more than what they are getting back like that. We'll have to give a draft pick and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to give Barnes as well. We get Love the superstar and a deteriorating SG that still does score at least, they get an allstar type PF and allstar type SG that plays both ends, as well as a 1st rounder next year, likely bottom five (25-30).

After trading for Love the rest of the positions can be filled, like backup PG, in which I'd prefer Vasquez. If Barnes goes, since the team would be at or just over the salary cap, the MLE and TPE should be used to get a backup SF and then also another nice player, maybe better a Center, especially if Jermaine retires, which likely he won't in search for a championship. I'd like PGasol for about 6-7 million of the TE, meaning it'd have to be a sign and trade with Lakers, meaning likely they won't do it to make us even stronger, but then again that'd give them money to use to get a very good player themselves. I also wouldn't mind getting Pierce as the replacement for Barnes if he does go, as he too would like to go for another championship.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 pm
airball wrote:
Ringo wrote:
J1000 wrote:

We used our amnesty on Charlie Bell. Were we given another amnesty?

Yes we did and you only get one amnesty.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 pm
Damn, forgot about Charlie Bell. Oh well, I'd still take that deal.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:47 pm
migya wrote:
J1000 wrote:

I don't mind having KMartin for one year, then trading him as an expirer next offseason. He can score, hit the outside shot quite well and most importantly get to the foul line, something Klay doesn't do much of, being more a shooter than anything else. In fact, that could well be a key thing if we got Love and Klay, that they both draw fouls and shoot a good number of FTs, a stat that the team was one of the least at, getting FTs. KMartin isn't much of a passer ans is a terrible defender but his offense could be valuable at times. I would be open to trading him to a third team for one or two serviceable players, even a future 1st or 2nd rounder but that's only if our FO can get at least one other player that can score enough to offset the loss of Klay's scoring some three quarters (75%, so about 14-15pts a game).

As for KMartin giving up as many points as he scores himself, not necessarily because the team plays a very good team defense that could buffer KMartin's opposing player from scoring easily. I think DGreen starting at SF and Iguodala at SG would be the best lineup most of the time, being amazing defensively, as well as at almost every other aspect of the game. KMartin is still serviceable and used well could be quite valuable.

Your team's defense is only as good as its weakest link. If Martin's teammates are helping out on his man for him, they're leaving somebody open. A good passing team like the Spurs is going to find the open man and get buckets. Even if it's not Martin's man that scores, it's his fault.

I agree he's a capable scorer, but other than that I don't see him as a winning teammate. His offense is only good in the sense that he can shoot, and he can find ways to score. But the rest of his offense is mediocre. Not a playmaker, doesn't create for his teammates, doesn't pass well, doesn't crash the offensive boards. And we know how he is on defense. He's pretty much a one dimensional player. It's true he could help in certain situations, but over the long haul I think it's likely his weaknesses outweigh his strengths.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball