Kevin Love Interested in Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

» Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:30 pm
I'd be careful of writing off Love's talent this early. The man is adjusting from being a #1 option to a #3; even before the season, I'd have wagered his raw numbers would probably come off as inferior to Thompson's. But I'm not ready to say, in a vacuum, that Klay is better than Love.

Remember: Love floundering on a Cav's lineup that has clearly struggled to gel early on is much different than Love stepping into Kerr's motion offense where he'd have been the unquestioned top big man in terms of touches.

That being said, Klay Thompson looks incredible and I'm certainly happy he wasn't dealt. But I'm not going to act like I don't still have wet dreams of Steph & Love running a pick and pop at the corner wing. I'll probably always believe that that's the most unstoppable potential P&R tandem the league would have ever seen.

All Star
» Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:59 am
32 wrote:I'd be careful of writing off Love's talent this early. The man is adjusting from being a #1 option to a #3; even before the season, I'd have wagered his raw numbers would probably come off as inferior to Thompson's. But I'm not ready to say, in a vacuum, that Klay is better than Love.

Remember: Love floundering on a Cav's lineup that has clearly struggled to gel early on is much different than Love stepping into Kerr's motion offense where he'd have been the unquestioned top big man in terms of touches.

That being said, Klay Thompson looks incredible and I'm certainly happy he wasn't dealt. But I'm not going to act like I don't still have wet dreams of Steph & Love running a pick and pop at the corner wing. I'll probably always believe that that's the most unstoppable potential P&R tandem the league would have ever seen.

Again, 32, you nailed it with your analysis.

This Warrior team, as it is currently constituted, can continue to excel with Green and Barnes getting the majority of time at power forward. The offense looks much more fluid with a stretch-4 playing power forward than it did with Lee in its previous iteration.

If anything, Kerr's leadership will be tested when Lee gets healthy and can play again: Will Kerr continue with what clearly is working, addition by subtraction, and keep Lee out of the starting lineup or will Kerr cave into Lee's fragile ego in a manner similar to how Mark Jackson had previously done and put Lee back into the starting lineup? I hope/believe that Kerr will go with the lineup that gives the Warriors the best chance to win.

Yes, I would have loved to have seen Kevin Love in a Warrior uniform, and he, Love, would have flourished in Kerr's offense; however, with Thompson signed for the long-term, the back-court is set (barring injury).
Last edited by uptempo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
» Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:39 pm
It's going to be a long time before anyone can say whether or not the Warriors made the right move by not trading Thompson for Love. You don't sign a guy for five games. Let's see in about three or four years.

I personally would have made the trade. Of course we will never know now, what kind of mix he would have made with the Warriors. But I guess you can look at them and the Cavs and just go by which team has more success over the next few years.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:18 am
Klay is getting better and the clear second best player on the team right now, can say close to #1. With the way Green is playing, plus Barnes a bit better, Ezeli healthy and contributing and Iguodala and the others on the bench doing more than holding there own, not to mention Lee still not playing fully, the team is covered in all areas. Green is covering at PF and with Lee, the team is alright there so they are not lacking to say the least, actually among the best PF tandems one could say. Who would have replaced Klay at SG? KMartin may have done alright with scoring but that's it, not giving what Klay has in other areas. The team would have been likely below average in the backcourt, definitely not among the top five, bench players included in the guard rotation.

The team is better than it would have been and looking like a top 4 in the West one.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:44 am
I think the reason they made the choice to keep Klay is because of all of the contributing factors:

2 way players aren't dime a dozen
SG position is weak right now
His ceiling continues to get higher
He's one of the best shooters in the league
He's humble and is a competitor who wants to win as bad as anyone. He showed this even as a rookie.
Curry wanted/wants him on team
His versatility to play and guard the 1 through 3

Sometimes it's good to swing for the fences and try to deliver the homerun trade. Other times, which I think was this last offseason, the FO showed some wisdom and examined the situation and realized .... hey the GSW's are on the up and up, they have a good thing going as-is, and let's see where it can take us. Maybe Kevin Love makes us a better team, then again, it's a fickle game and players/stars don't always gel (see Kobe and Dwight).

Also I don't think David Lee is addition by subtraction. As a team, I don't doubt they'd have just as good a start with him in the starting lineup. There's no way to tell for sure. Lee's value is unique on this team -- and I hope that factor isn't lost on fans -- he's the one Warrior who can get you consistent PIP when they actually consistently go to him. We saw that throughout his career, shooting 50% + fg, and as an allstar. And higher percentage shots are something that becomes more of a need come playoff time if/when jump-shooting goes cold.

Site Admin
» Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am
You make good points about Klay, Rocky, but as I've said elsewhere - the asterisk next to his "Top SG" label is frustrating. The dude is good enough to be a top SG in almost any era, let alone the current, SG-less era.

32, you're right that it's too early to call the Klay vs Love debate, but we can say so far so good.

Klay is clearly our second best player, talent wise, but I'd still argue that Bogut is our second most valuable after Curry. Without Bogut we don't stand a chance of advancing past the 1st round unless it's against a team like the Suns.

This team has the potential to be scary good, but we still have a lot to work on, some of which I wonder if we'll ever really clean up.