Kevin Love Interested in Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:22 pm
Cleveland has definitely moved to be in position to get Love and they most likely will get him. So be it, I'm not disappointed over this and really, the FO should look elsewhere for improvement, as the nba has many very good players. I still think some steals can be had in the current free agency. Maybe Okafor is healthy enough to be a good contributor and maybe he can be had for the vet minimum, since his injury was quite severe, being his back. Maybe going for a big with outside shooting ability is a good way to go but there are always steals for little money.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:55 pm
The current Warriors squad will again be good enough for the 5th or 6th seed in the west this season. Maybe 4th seed if we have a good run with injuries. But if we want to compete with the top teams for a shot at the title, we'll need a superstar like Kevin Love to team up with Curry.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 pm
At this point, I believe the vast majority of these Kevin Love rumors are Flip Saunders' shills trying to manipulate the market advantageously for the Timberwolves.

Kevin Love may very well leave Minnesota at the end of the season and, if so, his current team receives nothing in the process. I'm of the mind that if the T-Wolves could have acquired Andrew Wiggins or Klay Thompson by now, they would have pulled the trigger without thinking twice - none of this supposed haggling over the kicker sounds logical or prudent from Minny's point of view.

I mean, for Chrissakes, the rumor NOW is that the Wolves are seriously considering a package of Taj Gibson, Doug McDermott, and Nikola Mirotic for Love and Kevin Martin.

What? :shock:

While I don't believe a package of Anthony Bennett (already being tossed in the same category as Kwame Brown and Sam Bowie) and Cleveland's future #1 pick (which, in the New LeBron Age, will land somewhere between #24 and #30 of the first round) enhances the potential acquisition of Andrew Wiggins AT ALL, it's unquestionably superior than Gibson, McDermott, and Mirotic - if for no other reason than Andrew Wiggins in apart of the deal.

- Not to say ANYTHING of Chicago's package being LAUGHABLY worse than the Warriors' supposed offer of Thompson, Lee and Barnes that leaked a week ago. I mean, that one's so far apart it's damn near comical. -

Two causes come to mind:

1, Flip Saunders is already one of THE WORST general manager's in basketball - to go along with being one of THE WORST playoff coaches ever - and he missed his window of fruitful prospects, forcing him to make due with a package out of Chicago that's a comparative D-lister, at best. Or...

2, None of this past month's supposed leaks were true at all. Minnesota was hoping to drum up the offer of either Cleveland or Golden State, but neither team took the bait, and ESPN was more than happy to perpetuate bullish*t rumor for the hollow sake of viewership, because the sad fact that fools kept calling in to ask about Kevin Love leant them to believe that if they even so much as mentioned his name (even in a bald-faced lie), it would keep the Sheeple tuning in and sucking at the teletitty long enough for them to cash in on more advert funding for Pardon The Interruption.

Congratulations, Disney. You've officially lowered the bar yet again.

Taj Gibson is not a bad player. In fact, for a team about to lose it's franchise star for absolutely nothing in a free agent market where he will be the unquestionable price setter, Taj Gibson is a pretty damn ideal acquisition. He's young, he's talented, he's underrated and underpaid, he seems to only be getting better, and he very well could be the next Paul Milsapp; a role-playing big man with the potential to be an offensive weapon whose been largely ignored in his current city and may end up being the bargain of the league in a year or two.

But make no damn mistake, there are 15 power forwards in this league better than Taj Gibson.

There aren't 5 shooting guards better than Klay Thompson.

And there aren't 5 prospects with more potential than Andrew Wiggins.

To go from a Top 5 standpoint in what you're receiving to a someone hovering in the 15 to 20 range at a position that runs pretty deep and could be replaced easier than probably any other position in the game today...

It just screams of bullish*t.

Way to go, Flip. You've murdered your team's credibility and you haven't even coached a game as the official GM yet. Only you could pull this off, dude. Only you.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 pm
I think Flip Saunders may be absolutely doing the right thing; playing teams off against each other in order to get a far better deal for Love.

I've read that what Minnesota has told Cleveland is that they want them to take KMartin and Barea, who only has one more year left on his contract anyway, with Love, while getting back at least Bennett and Wiggins. Seems like our FO has already reacted by including Klay in the deal for Love, so Saunders has played it well. If Cleveland wants Love, they'll have to hand over Bennett, Wiggins and at least one more talent, likely one of their other young players, like Tristan Thompson or Waiters. I think they'd do it too, knowing that veterans like Ray Allen and Mike Miller will join them shortly after. Cleveland has to win now, over the next few years, so they'll do what they have to to get Love and Minnesota will get maximum value for him.

Flip Saunders may have played it well and been smarter than he has been in his career. Waiting it out has allowed for Love to now be the best player left available to be obtained and now Cleveland, after getting Lebron and looking to compete for championships for a few years at least, needs another star and will therefore give alot to get Love.

Personally, I think our FO should react and try to get Horford, by doing a three team trade with Atlanta, Detroit and Phoenix.

Phoenix just signed Isaiah Thomas and so doesn't need and really can't afford Bledsoe, if they intend on keeping Dragic. Detroit had Jennings but need more outside shooting and firepower, as well as having JSmith at PF and not SF where he has been a disaster. Atlanta needs more firepower themselves and Horford, though a very good big, was injured last season and Atlanta needs stability to compete in the weak east. We need to transition from Lee soon, I personally don't think we do as Lee should be similar to what he is now for the next three or four years and should resign for about half of what he's on now but the overwhelming opinion from Warriors fans is that we do, and Horford is a bit younger and plays the defense that Lee doesn't at least, while still being a pretty good scorer.

GS gives Lee to Phoenix, Barnes to Atlanta
receives Horford from Atlanta.

Detroit gives Monroe resigned at maximum, about 15-16 million, to Atlanta
receives Bledsoe from Phoenix resigned at about 15 million a year.

Atlanta gives Horford to GS
receives Monroe from Detroit and Barnes from GS.

Phoenix gives Bledoe to Detroit
receives Lee from GS.

Not as glamorous as getting Love but we keep Klay and get a PF who is a good scorer himself but gives defensively as well and that difference could be great late in games and could mean about 3-5 more wins in a season. Horford is also 28 years old, not young but a bit younger than Lee.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 am
I'm going to disagree with you there, migs.

Saunders has tried to BS both Golden State and Cleveland by telling the other that the proposed package they'll get is bigger than what it actually is and, apparently, Saunders has no idea that GMs from other teams talk to one another because both the Cavs and the Warriors have laughed him off the phone thus far.

Like I said, if the Wolves could have obtained Wiggins, the deal would be done by now.

Likewise, if Minnesota was offered Klay Thompson at any point, they'd have pulled the trigger.

So why are they mulling around a deal centered around Taj Gibson - an unquestionable downgrade compared to Wiggins and Thompson?

Because the Warriors and Cavs aren't buying his poker face bullish*t. When you propose trades that are laughable, you lose your credibility in the market. If the Warriors offered Saunders Lee and Barnes, to have him counter with Thompson, Lee, and Barnes, Bob Myers will more likely snicker and hang up than attempt to find a middle ground. Same with Cleveland if they initially offered Bennett and a pick.

If Saunders was smart, he'd be honest.

He'd say: "look, here's the deal. You've both offered me packages with B-list kickers and I'm not interested in downgrading Kevin Love for hysterical underpayment. First team to up the package to something real gets Love."

That would start a bidding war between Cleveland and GS. Both teams would slowly but surely start to add assets, trying to top each other, until Minnesota found a package to their liking.

To lie destroys the Wolves' credibility.

If Cleveland hears "we've been offered Wiggins" and they know it's not true, why would they believe the Wolves were "offered Thompson" if Golden State has repeatedly stated it's not going to happen? And vice-verca.

Flip Saunders is trying to play hard ball and I can respect that, but he's not in any position to pretend he's got the upper hand here. Everyone knows Minnesota is between a rock and a hard place with Love. If he were to just come out and admit that and let everyone know it's open season on Love and the team with the best package will get him, teams would flock to their phones throwing their hats into the mix.

But, as it stands, Saunders is standing pat on this position that Love will cost something in the ballpark of Klay Thompson or Andrew Wiggins.

He's not gonna get that.

And if he keeps playing hard ball long enough, Love will expire and hit the free agent market, where there will be 5 other teams that can now enter the fray (Los Angeles, for instance, doesn't have the assets to be a major player in a trade, but they have the cap space to make a run at Love if he hits the open market). Saunders will lose what little power he has in this situation and simply be made to look like a fool if Love gets away for nothing.

David Lee and Harrison Barnes are NOT as good as Andrew Wiggins or Klay Thompson.

But they're better than Taj Gibson & Doug McDermott.

Which is better than Anthony Bennett and a late 1st rounder.

Which is better than absolutely NOTHING.

Which is what Saunders will get if he continues to play this out as he has.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 am
Bottom line: you say it's smart to play teams off one another.

I don't disagree with that line of reasoning, but I disagree that Saunders is fooling anyone.

Everyone knows he's got squat and yet he's acting like he's got all these fruitful offers that aren't good enough yet, so like a prom queen holding out for the best looking date, Saunders is denying trade packages in the hopes that he'll end up with something more impressive. He is mistaken. Saunders isn't a prom queen; he's a dorky tech dweeb whose lucky to have someone other than his cousin taking him to prom.

A package including a consensus top prospect who would have been the #1 overall pick had he declared a year later and a double-double machine, 2-time all-star still in his prime is a more impressive package than anything Saunders could ever dare hope for in exchange for a player who has no interest in staying with him beyond next year (and has let the entire world know it).

Flip Saunders isn't fooling anybody. The only fool in this entire equation is Saunders, himself, and the morons who hired him.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:43 pm
How bout the Warriors offer Lee, Barnes, Green and a future 1st rounder? Isn't that tempting for Minnesota if they can't get Wiggins?

It'd suck to lose Green, but we'd have the best starting 5 without question. And would still have Livingston, Rush, and Ezeli on the bench, though would have to retool the bench a little.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 pm
It is almost certain that Cleveland will trade a package including Wiggins for Love. The wait is for the 30 days after signing Wiggins to his rookie contract to expire. Like I said, our FO, if they want to trade Lee and improve, should start looking elsewhere immediately.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm
Stairway Man wrote:How bout the Warriors offer Lee, Barnes, Green and a future 1st rounder? Isn't that tempting for Minnesota if they can't get Wiggins?

It'd suck to lose Green, but we'd have the best starting 5 without question. And would still have Livingston, Rush, and Ezeli on the bench, though would have to retool the bench a little.

That's an interesting package.

I doubt you could sell anybody on Barnes being better than Taj Gibson, but the remainder of the GS package outdoes the Chicago one by a country mile.

If the Wiggins rumors are true, Love will be a Cav in less than a month. If they're fabricated (like the rumors of Klay Thompson being available), I'd expect Cleveland will reload their offer... and likely center a package around Waiters, whose refused to come off the bench next year.

Waiters & Bennett is more attractive than anything we've got without Steph & Klay in the mix.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm
Would anyone consider a 3 team trade with Cleveland and Minnesota? Maybe we can get tristan thompson, Bennett and wiggins for Wiggins and Klay. Cleveland would get Love. Minnesota gets Lee, Klay and Bennett. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Klay to get rid of Lees contract and risk for wiggins.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Would anyone consider a 3 team trade with Cleveland and Minnesota? Maybe we can get tristan thompson, Bennett and wiggins for Wiggins and Klay. Cleveland would get Love. Minnesota gets Lee, Klay and Bennett. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Klay to get rid of Lees contract and risk for wiggins.

That'd be interesting, even if just for the potential of Wiggins but I still wouldn't do it. The aim is to get an opted in Love and even then, giving Lee and Klay for him is too much.

As I've said recently, we'd be better off trying to trade Lee for someone else since Love is going to Cleveland. I think a four team trade is possible, with Detroit, Phoenix and Atlanta, with Monroe going to Atlanta, Bledsoe to Detroit, Horford to us and Lee and Barnes to Phoenix.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Would anyone consider a 3 team trade with Cleveland and Minnesota? Maybe we can get tristan thompson, Bennett and wiggins for Wiggins and Klay. Cleveland would get Love. Minnesota gets Lee, Klay and Bennett. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Klay to get rid of Lees contract and risk for wiggins.

Ehhhh, it'd be tough to sell Minnesota on it. Wiggins will be under their control for nearly 10 years, whereas Thompson is gonna get a 4-year extension by next season and then he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Minnesota's not a marquee location; they prefer talent they can keep under control, as opposed to guys who might (and probably will) bolt as soon as possible.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball