Ex-Warriors coach Jackson: Kerr a 'first-class guy.'

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am
http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami ... -class-guy

Very classy and mature. I really like how Mark Jackson has taken the high road since his dismissal.

Ex-Warriors coach Jackson: Kerr a 'first-class guy.'
By Tim Kawakami

tkawakami@mercurynews.com

POSTED: 05/15/2014 08:14:57 PM PDT0 COMMENTS| UPDATED: ABOUT 11 HOURS AGO

The former Warriors coach says he feels no ill will toward the new one.

One day after the Warriors announced a five-year, $25 million agreement to hire Steve Kerr, Mark Jackson offered congratulations to Kerr, who, like Jackson three years ago, takes over the Warriors with zero previous coaching experience.

"I played against (Kerr), know him, respect him," Jackson said in a phone interview on Thursday. "A first-class guy. ... Just a guy I have respect for and wish him nothing but the best."

But Jackson added that, after the 51-victory season that led to Jackson's controversial firing, Kerr has the reins of a team filled with expectations.

"He's inherited a great team with a great future," Jackson said. "And they are a championship-caliber team."

In the conversation, Jackson discussed several topics involving the coaching move, including:

His decision to tweet congratulations to Stan Van Gundy for landing with Detroit (when Van Gundy also talked with the Warriors), but not to Kerr for landing with the Warriors.
"The only reason for that is (a Kerr congratulations on Twitter) could be read different," Jackson said.

"So I texted him congratulations."

Did Van Gundy or any other potential Warriors candidate contact him to ask why things went so bad between Jackson and the Warriors front office?
"No, I think everybody knows what happened," Jackson said. "I think everybody's well aware. So there's no reason, unless somebody wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth."

Asked directly if he had any discussions planned for open coaching jobs, Jackson said he was "just sitting by the phone and waiting for a decision on the next move."
Jackson has no problem with Stephen Curry, Jackson's staunchest defender, expressing optimism about Kerr.
"Not at all -- if I ever coach again, if I comment about a great point guard or say how I'm excited about coaching another great point guard, I won't be diminishing what I think about Steph and my relationship with him," Jackson said.

"I don't take it that way. I'm pulling for him. It was an honor and a privilege to coach him and the guys I coached for three years."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 am
Mark Jackson will likely be hired to be the HC in the next three years and all the best to him.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball