Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 pm
Go Warriors!
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:43 pm
I'm not excited or upset by this move. Kerr is inexperienced. Those who are excited about this move won't be able to tell me why. The only thing I've heard about Kerr is that he's a great basketball mind. That's so subjective. The only positive that I can think of is that Kerr was one of the best shooters in NBA history. Maybe there's some things he can do to get Thompson and Curry open.

On the flip side, there was slim pickings as far as head coaching candidates. I didn't want Hollins, D'antoni, Mike Brown, or George Karl, and those seemed to be the best candidates.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 pm
Since Mark Jackson's staff was let go, Kerr has to get to work and pick his assistants. He'd be wise to bring in a defensive guru.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 pm
I'm indifferent. I'm just happy Jackson is gone. Maybe Kerr will call timeouts before we blow 15 pt leads on huge runs by opposing teams.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 pm
Well it's intriguing, because as he has no experience, you just never know. A lot of people seem to think he has a lot of potential as a coach. In comparison to the Jackson signing, who also had no experience, I feel more confident in Kerr than I did at the time of Jackson's signing. I was pretty skeptical about Jackson's signing. I was somewhat surprised by his success. I'm not really sure exactly why I feel a little more confident with Kerr than I did with Jackson back then. I guess it's his demeanor. Jackson just never really impressed me much as a commentator, which was all I had to go off back then. Then there is the fact that supposedly Kerr's learned a lot from Phil, and his experience working as a GM makes me know he will work as a team with the office guys.

Supposedly he was their first choice. When they fired Mark, he was their target, and they landed him. So, whether or not he is the right man for the job, I give Lacob and company credit for achieving their goal. How well it all plays out remains to be seen obviously.

It's interesting how it happened. Making a run at Kerr, getting discouraged, making Stan an offer and getting turned down, and then trying again for Kerr. Seems they realized his deal with the Knicks was getting really complicated and frustrating, and stepped up at just the right time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:21 am
The FO just put themselves under huge scrutiny by getting another no experience HC. It will all be on them if it doesn't turn out.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:36 am
migya wrote:The FO just put themselves under huge scrutiny by getting another no experience HC. It will all be on them if it doesn't turn out.

Tell me, though. What would have been the better alternative?

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 am
I'm happy with Steve Kerr but I'm not sure that giving him a 5 year contract was a good idea. I guess they had to give him more than the 4 years that the Knicks were offering to ensure that they didn't miss out again like SVG. My excitement stems from the fact that he played his basketball career under some of the best coaches the NBA has ever seen. It would be impossible for him to not be influenced by the philosophies and teachings of Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. I'm also happy that Mark Jackson is gone before things between him and the front office/coaching staff got any worse. Having a divided organisation is like a cancer that would've destroyed this team. The Warriors are building something special and the timing is right for a new coach to take them to the top with some fresh ideas. Hopefully that coach is Steve Kerr. I get the feeling that after he sorts out the assistant coaches, his top priority will be to try and work out a trade for Kevin Love as he was quoted as saying: "I have strong beliefs on spacing and ball movement and that will be reflected in our play."

As uptempo said: "Go Warriors!"

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:11 am
I think the Kerr signing is ok. would have preferred SVG, but he took more money and responsibility to go to Detroit.

I wish the warriors had thought outside the box and see if Shaka Smart was available. You give him the money you just gave to kerr, and he would have bolted VCU. He can motivate like Jackson, but is all about his X's and O's as well. Smart is very defensive oriented and gives his players freedom to make their own plays. He would have been a guy Curry and the gang would have approve of right away. Kerr will take some time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:41 am
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:The FO just put themselves under huge scrutiny by getting another no experience HC. It will all be on them if it doesn't turn out.

First option would have been to offer SVG the money he got from Detroit. He is worth it and likely SVG would have said that to the FO when they met with him a few days ago, before he signed with Detroit. SVG is worth it and he'll turn Detroit around and maybe make them a top 3 team in the East within three years.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 am
Ringo wrote:I'm happy with Steve Kerr but I'm not sure that giving him a 5 year contract was a good idea. I guess they had to give him more than the 4 years that the Knicks were offering to ensure that they didn't miss out again like SVG. My excitement stems from the fact that he played his basketball career under some of the best coaches the NBA has ever seen. It would be impossible for him to not be influenced by the philosophies and teachings of Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. I'm also happy that Mark Jackson is gone before things between him and the front office/coaching staff got any worse. Having a divided organisation is like a cancer that would've destroyed this team. The Warriors are building something special and the timing is right for a new coach to take them to the top with some fresh ideas. Hopefully that coach is Steve Kerr. I get the feeling that after he sorts out the assistant coaches, his top priority will be to try and work out a trade for Kevin Love as he was quoted as saying: "I have strong beliefs on spacing and ball movement and that will be reflected in our play."

As uptempo said: "Go Warriors!"

To get him to sign him instead of the Knicks took the length of time of the contract and it may haunt the FO because if things haven't improved after the first two years, they won't just get rid of him with still three years left on his contract. Kerr has seen the best from two of the best HCs ever and hopefully he can apply what he's learned well here.

Whether it's the triangle offense or not, getting Love would be an obvious upgrade and an obviously great outside shooter that would definitely allow for spacing. Either way, I think Lee, with his craftiness, could himself benefit greatly from any form of Phil/Pop strategies that Kerr has.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:49 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think the Kerr signing is ok. would have preferred SVG, but he took more money and responsibility to go to Detroit.

I wish the warriors had thought outside the box and see if Shaka Smart was available. You give him the money you just gave to kerr, and he would have bolted VCU. He can motivate like Jackson, but is all about his X's and O's as well. Smart is very defensive oriented and gives his players freedom to make their own plays. He would have been a guy Curry and the gang would have approve of right away. Kerr will take some time.

Haven't heard of that HC but you seem convinced that he could translate his success into the nba, which is a big call. To me, there's nothing like success at the level where you are wanting to go to/stay at and that is why SVG was so good as HC.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think the Kerr signing is ok. would have preferred SVG, but he took more money and responsibility to go to Detroit.

Great out-of-the-box thinking! I completely forgot about Shaka Smart, a highly respected coach.

With Kerr, we get a guy who had run a NBA front office, but with no coaching experience.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 am
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

First option would have been to offer SVG the money he got from Detroit. He is worth it and likely SVG would have said that to the FO when they met with him a few days ago, before he signed with Detroit. SVG is worth it and he'll turn Detroit around and maybe make them a top 3 team in the East within three years.

In addition to giving him more money, Detroit also gave him full control of basketball decisions, which the Warriors were not willing to do.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 pm
meh....

I mean what the hell are we supposed to expect? The guy's never coached. The same was true about Mark Jackson, but he grew on the job. So now we are supposed to wait for Kerr to "learn how to coach" like Jackson had to? I'm not buying it that this was the move that was about wins and losses and taking the team to the next level (SVG yes, Kerr no). It looks more like a move to appease an owner who had a personal vendetta against Mark Jackson and needs to be surrounded by yes-men.

Yes, Lacob has earned a lot of credibility, and I've been one of his biggest fans. But this move -- a definite upgrade or more of a risk? I'd say it's more of a risk and far from a sure-upgrade. While there were plenty of quirks that bothered me about M Jackson's coaching (slow to react, slow to call timeouts, rotations, etc), he also brought many intangibles (cultivated toughness, defense, accountability, chemistry) as well as being spot on about developing Klay and Green. Would Nelson or some other coach would've stuck with Klay while he was struggling or played D Green when his offense struggled? Idk.

Pressures all on Lacob, the FO, and Kerr to take this team further than Mark Jackson could have. And I hope Lacob embraces that pressure, because he's the one that chose to make this move. A huge failure would to have a coach who "gets along" with FO but the team plays worse on the court.

With a healthy squad -- 55 wins, minimum 2nd round playoffs, a top defensive team, and the team playing better as a whole.... or this hiring is a failure. Cuz I guarantee with a healthy squad Jackson would've had this team at minimum in the 2nd round in back to back years.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball