Warriors Relieve Head Coach Mark Jackson of His Duties

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:13 pm
While I am not ecstatic over the firing of Mark Jackson, this move by ownership and management sends a strong signal to us fans that they are committed to the process of improvement and hopefully competing for a championship. Unlike the Three Stooges, Cohan-Mullin-Nelson, who built teams to keep us fans entertained (high-scoring, lots of drama, small ball, entertaining) and were never held to any sense of accountability, Lacob and Myers are unafraid to pivot and hopefully improve. What more can we fans ask for than for an ownership group that is committed to competing for a championship? There is nothing reactionary in how decisions are made with this team anymore; decisions are now being made to implement a strategy. We might disagree with the strategy; however, the way that decisions are made now with the Warriors is vastly different than how decisions were made during the Cohan-Mullin-Nelson years. If anything, we see an ownership group that has implemented a management style that requires accountability. Wow!

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/jackso ... s-20140506

May 6, 2014
Warriors Relieve Head Coach Mark Jackson of His Duties
The Golden State Warriors have relieved Head Coach Mark Jackson of his duties, the team announced today. Jackson, who recently completed his third season as head coach of the team, guided the Warriors to a 51-31 record this season and a combined 121-109 record (.526) during his tenure in the Bay Area. Jackson was named the 24th head coach in the team's West Coast history on June 6, 2011.

“It’s never easy to make a decision of this nature,” said General Manager Bob Myers. “Mark has accomplished many good things during his three years with the organization, including his role in helping elevate this team into a better position than it was when he arrived nearly 36 months ago. We’re appreciative of his dedication and commitment since his arrival and are extremely grateful for his contributions. However, as an organization, we simply feel it’s best to move in a different direction at this time.”

“Mark Jackson has had a big impact on the improvement of our team and the success that we’ve had over the last couple of years,” said Owner & CEO Joe Lacob. “Nonetheless, we must make some difficult decisions in our day-to-day operations of the club and this would certainly qualify as one of those examples. We wish Mark the best of luck in his future endeavors and thank him for his contributions over the last three years.”

Jackson, 49, became just the third head coach in franchise history to lead a team to at least 50 wins in a season, joining Don Nelson and Alvin Attles, who both posted 50-win seasons twice with the Warriors. With 121 regular-season victories overall, Jackson ranks fourth on the franchise’s all-time wins list, trailing Attles (557), Nelson (422) and Eddie Gottlieb (263). Additionally, the 98 regular-season wins posted over the last two seasons (51 in 2013-14 & 47 in 2012-13) represent the Warriors best two-year stretch since the team posted 99 victories combined in the 1990-91 (44) and 1991-92 (55) seasons, which was also the last time Golden State made consecutive postseason appearances.
Last edited by uptempo on Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:34 pm
this is horsesh***

I'm sure the players (You know, just those guys who win you games and you better keep them happy Joe Lacob) are just THRILLED. I'm sure Steph Curry is so happy right now.

This sends a HORRIBLE message to the franchise, the loyal fans, but most importantly it sends a horrible message to the players -- the guys who have this thing called free-will (how hard they want to play) and free agency were they can decide where they want to play and for who.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 pm
rockyBeli wrote:this is horsesh***

I'm sure the players (You know, just those guys who win you games and you better keep them happy Joe Lacob) are just THRILLED. I'm sure Steph Curry is so happy right now.

This sends a HORRIBLE message to the franchise, the loyal fans, but most importantly it sends a horrible message to the players -- the guys who have this thing called free-will (how hard they want to play) and free agency were they can decide where they want to play and for who.

I don't disagree with you Rocky; however, it is now a whole new ballgame in Oakland and Golden State. This ownership group is serious about holding its head coach accountable and improving how deep the team goes in the playoffs. This no-nonsense approach is hard for many fans who were very accustomed to the bumbling Cohan-Mullin-Nelson years where we were entertained but never had a chance to see a championship-contending team.

I do not see this ownership group and its front office standing pat with the roster, either. I can see Bogut and Lee being packaged and sent out of here for a Kevin Love and for this team to be active in going after a Pau Gasol and or a Greg Monroe.

Mark Jackson got this team to improve and for that we fans should be thankful. To Mark Jackson's credit, he did not hold out nor hold the team hostage after last season by threatening to quit if he did not get a new contract like the shenanigans pulled by Nelson with Mullin and Cohan.

Ownership and management are now on the clock to make smart moves to improve the coaching staff and the roster.

If anything, 51 wins and a first round playoff exit are no longer acceptable for the Golden State Warriors, and I am very OK with that!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:36 pm
Well put uptempo. It is a risk firing Jackson, and making your superstar upset with the whole situation. But this is an ownership group willing to setting for nothing less for a championship.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:40 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Well put uptempo. It is a risk firing Jackson, and making your superstar upset with the whole situation. But this is an ownership group willing to setting for nothing less for a championship.

Agreed. As a fan, I would have loved to see Mark Jackson coach this team to a championship; however, the team regressed in the playoffs by failing to get out of the first round. This ownership group looks like it is committed to winning a championship and looked like it did not have confidence in Mark Jackson's ability to coach this team to winning a championship. Anything less than winning a championship is not acceptable to this ownership group!
Last edited by uptempo on Tue May 06, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm
If that were the reasoning behind this move uptempo I'd have to agree with you. But I don't think this was a basketball move, I think it's a personal-issues move. They didn't like his outspoken religious tactics, views on gays, (when they have a gay vice president I belive), etc. His on-the-court track record speaks for itself. The Warriors were a top defensive team, the best road record in decades, and took a BETTER Clippers team to 7 games.

If they want to blame someone, they can blame themselves for putting together a skeleton bench unit for most of the season and Health. None of which are on Mark Jackson's shoulders.

Would Jerry Sloan, Tom Thibodeau, SVG, or any other prospective replacement would've done better this year? That's up for debate.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 pm
rockyBeli wrote:If that were the reasoning behind this move uptempo I'd have to agree with you. But I don't think this was a basketball move, I think it's a personal-issues move. They didn't like his outspoken religious tactics, views on gays, (when they have a gay vice president I belive), etc. His on-the-court track record speaks for itself. The Warriors were a top defensive team, the best road record in decades, and took a BETTER Clippers team to 7 games.

If they want to blame someone, they can blame themselves for putting together a skeleton bench unit for most of the season and Health. None of which are on Mark Jackson's shoulders.

Would Jerry Sloan, Tom Thibodeau, SVG, or any other prospective replacement would've done better this year? That's up for debate.

Your analysis could be spot on. I enjoy reading, debating, agreeing, and discussing Warrior issues with smart posters like yourself.

Yes, Bob Myers needs to be held accountable for putting together this roster.

It is very different for us Warrior fans to see an ownership group and front office holding itself and others within the organization accountable, especially after the bumbling Cohan-Mullin-Nelson years.

I, personally, wanted to see the team retain-extend Mark Jackson; however, I see why ownership/front office fired him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:38 pm
same to you man!
I just think Lacob takes a credibility hit for this move.
A lot of media outlets are reporting that this firing was over off-the-court issues.
Hmm yet Lacob says he's all about winning and the product on the court.
It's just sounding more and more like an owner-ego type firing, and not a "basketball reasons" firing....which sounds an awfully lot
like the last owner. It wouldn't bother me as much if Lacob wasn't constantly trying to paint himself as the 'anti-Cohan' who was all about winnning.
So the question is, did Mark Jackson WIN? On that front, did he deserved to be fired based on his performance / results / the roster he was given in the playoffs? That's really a tough sell from Lacob to the fans. Particularly when your superstar PG backs Jackson 110%. And even more so if they fail to hire an accomplished, championship-level coach like Sloan or Tom T.

I think Warrior fans will be pissed if Mark Jackson was fired only to bring in some rookie coach like Kerr or Hoiberg. That will prove right there that this was an ego-driven firing and not a basketball move.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 pm
I think it’s the move they had to make. This team was far too inconsistent for a good argument to be made for keeping Jackson. I’m grateful for what he did with this team, and I believe he was about the best option for us at the time, but I think he hit his ceiling as a HC (at least for the near future).

We have a “win now” mentality as I believe we should, and if we think we can do better, than we should. Keeping the players happy isn’t nearly as important as keeping the fans happy. They’re supposed to be professionals, if they aren’t and they want to cry about losing their HC, they can be wearing a different uniform next season for all I care.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:39 pm
JREED wrote:I think it’s the move they had to make. This team was far too inconsistent for a good argument to be made for keeping Jackson.

Their starting 5 was as consistent as it gets when they were healthy. Health wasn't consistent, the bench wasn't consistent. Again, that's not on Mark Jackson to work miracles with guys like Tony Douglass and Kent Bazemore being your bench players.

I’m grateful for what he did with this team, and I believe he was about the best option for us at the time, but I think he hit his ceiling as a HC (at least for the near future).

I think this lack of loyalty by Lacob will come back to bite them. He hit his ceiling? He just started coaching lol

We have a “win now” mentality as I believe we should, and if we think we can do better, than we should.

The first popular name to come out is Steve Kerr. A rookie coach taking the Warriors to the promised land is going to be a tough sell.

Keeping the players happy isn’t nearly as important as keeping the fans happy.

Jackson did both. Kept players happy and won. How many expected to win with the defensive beast Bogut out?

They’re supposed to be professionals, if they aren’t and they want to cry about losing their HC, they can be wearing a different uniform next season for all I care.

Yup. And adamant Jackson-supporters like Steph Curry can professionally decide they don't want to be loyal to an organization who cares more about the owner's ego than on the court basketball success.

Winning is the ultimate measuring stick. Did Mark Jackson win? Could another coach have done better? That's the question that Lacob will need to answer. In the press conference, Bob Meyers said he "didn't know" if another coach would've done better with the same squad. He better know because you're making the extremely risky move over firing a successful coach in the W/L dept, in the team chemistry dept, and having the support of most fans.

Warrior fans have seen this before. Head-scratching moves that only make sense in the minds of the FO. They don't make sense in a W/L sense or basketball sense. Lacob better be right about this grass is always greener new coach, because this just looks like another Cohan move of appeasing his own personal ego over the goal of winning.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:54 pm
Definitely a head scratcher if they truly don't have a candidate in place already. The Warriors ownership doesn't appear to make impulsive or half-assed decisions, so my thinking is that they've already secured Kerr and will wait a bit to dot the i's and cross the t's before making the announcement.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 am
rockyBeli wrote:
JREED wrote:I think it’s the move they had to make. This team was far too inconsistent for a good argument to be made for keeping Jackson.

Their starting 5 was as consistent as it gets when they were healthy. Health wasn't consistent, the bench wasn't consistent. Again, that's not on Mark Jackson to work miracles with guys like Tony Douglass and Kent Bazemore being your bench players.

I’m grateful for what he did with this team, and I believe he was about the best option for us at the time, but I think he hit his ceiling as a HC (at least for the near future).

I think this lack of loyalty by Lacob will come back to bite them. He hit his ceiling? He just started coaching lol

We have a “win now” mentality as I believe we should, and if we think we can do better, than we should.

The first popular name to come out is Steve Kerr. A rookie coach taking the Warriors to the promised land is going to be a tough sell.

Jackson did both. Kept players happy and won. How many expected to win with the defensive beast Bogut out?

They’re supposed to be professionals, if they aren’t and they want to cry about losing their HC, they can be wearing a different uniform next season for all I care.

Yup. And adamant Jackson-supporters like Steph Curry can professionally decide they don't want to be loyal to an organization who cares more about the owner's ego than on the court basketball success.

Winning is the ultimate measuring stick. Did Mark Jackson win? Could another coach have done better? That's the question that Lacob will need to answer. In the press conference, Bob Meyers said he "didn't know" if another coach would've done better with the same squad. He better know because you're making the extremely risky move over firing a successful coach in the W/L dept, in the team chemistry dept, and having the support of most fans.

Warrior fans have seen this before. Head-scratching moves that only make sense in the minds of the FO. They don't make sense in a W/L sense or basketball sense. Lacob better be right about this grass is always greener new coach, because this just looks like another Cohan move of appeasing his own personal ego over the goal of winning.

Again, Rocky, you are spot on with your analysis!

I am very conflicted over the Mark Jackson firing.

Bruce Jenkins wrote a piece in today's Chronicle which touches on some serious issues surrounding Lacob and his "management" style:

Meddling Joe Lacob to blame for firing of Mark Jackson http://www.sfgate.com/sports/jenkins/ar ... php#page-1

Also, listening to Bucher and Towny (95.7) this morning was more than disturbing. When Golden State Warriors assistant coach Darren Erman was fired for secretly taping conversations, which is also illegal, Kirk Lacob, the owner's 25 year-old son and 'assistant general manager (http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45jfjf/kirk-lacob/),' was still bringing Erman to team functions, a very cavalier and unprofessional way to put the whole organization in jeopardy of looking like it, the team and org, tacitly approved the illegal behavior. Imagine if you were Mark Jackson, one of the other assistant coaches on the staff, a player on the roster, or someone working in the Warrior organization and you see the 25 year-old, assistant gm and son of the owner, still bringing a former employee who was fired for a possible criminal offense to team functions. If anything, Mark Jackson is lucky to given his walking orders. I can see Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, O'Neal and Lee possibly now wanting to follow Jackson out of Golden State. What a mess! Just when the team seems to be on the verge of being a perennial playoff team/potentially someday a contender for a title, organizational dysfunction rears its ugly head. We Warrior fans may, indeed, be cursed...sigh...

What a mess...sigh...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:49 pm
rockyBeli wrote:If that were the reasoning behind this move uptempo I'd have to agree with you. But I don't think this was a basketball move, I think it's a personal-issues move. They didn't like his outspoken religious tactics, views on gays, (when they have a gay vice president I belive), etc. His on-the-court track record speaks for itself. The Warriors were a top defensive team, the best road record in decades, and took a BETTER Clippers team to 7 games.

I have to agree with you Rocky with the, likely to be a personal issues move. Mark Jackson has his values and they may differ a bit to some people in society, but that's rather irrelevant to his job performance. I do think he could have done better, but the big positive with him was that the players liked him alot and he motivated them. That's not all that's required to be a good coach, far from it in fact, and I do believe Jackson is not the coach to take the team to the next level, but it looks like there are not many available coaches that are either, so the question is, who is the FO going to hire to be the HC, because if they get someone else who also has no proven experience and success, as a fan I will not be happy, MJackson did well and lead the team to the best two years in over twenty years for this franchise. The top five or six players are very good and winning as much as they did does not look like overachieving, so I don't think MJackson did a great job, just a good one.

This was a big move, one that initially will not be well received by the team's fans and the ownership and FO are on trial now and have to hire a HC that is proven and then takes the team further than they have at least the last two years. After the roster moves over the last three years, there is a good chance that the FO will do well in their hiring of a HC and any further player changes so I am optimistic.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:15 am
Well, ha, that didn't take long! I guess they really did not like him.

I suppose they already have someone lined up. I don't see them making this kind of move without knowing what their next one is. If not, and they are just out "testing the waters" looking for somebody....well, as a fan, that would be disappointing...I'd actually be really surprised if that is the case. I mean....unless they just found Jackson to be impossible to work with, and decided they can EASILY just find somebody who can achieve what he has. Guess that all remains to be seen...

I kind of wonder....if they had beaten the Clippers, would he still have been fired? My feeling is yes. What if he had won in the second round also, would he still have been fired? It's kind of funny to think about....how much you dislike somebody, vs. how much they win...
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:47 pm
rockyBeli wrote:
JREED wrote:I’m grateful for what he did with this team, and I believe he was about the best option for us at the time, but I think he hit his ceiling as a HC (at least for the near future).

Yup, I said "...he hit his ceiling as a HC (at least for the near future)." He's too arrogant to improve anytime soon. We need to win now, we can't wait for Jackson to find some humility. It took the dude way too long to figure out what everyone else already knows - Green > Lee. That's among other things.

rockyBeli wrote:

HC in the NBA is the most overrated HC position in sports. There aren't many HCs that can make a team much better, but there are a lot of things they can do to screw things up, like not calling TOs when 29/30 HC would, identifying things and lineups that work, not solely relying on one player to carry the offense, etc.

rockyBeli wrote:

Speak for yourself. IMO, Jackson was second to only injuries on my list of disappointments this season. I had the Clips beating us in 6 at the most, but when I saw the games, I thought we not only could, but should have won. He completely got away from what worked in game 1 - pick and rolls, and death by screen. Instead, we fell back into the iso which hasn't worked all season, unless it's Curry in human-torch mode - most coaches would have put a stop to that. It was also obvious that Green should have been starting game 2... hell, I though Green should have been starting game 1, but I was also one of his biggest fans all season. I'll give him credit, Lee worked at the 5 much better than I thought it would.

rockyBeli wrote:

You have a different idea of professional conduct than I do. If that's how he wants to carry himself then I'd view this as a blessing in disguise because I'd rather not have unprofessional, immature, little-boys on a team I cheer for. Of course he wont; they all understand that this is a business. This is the part that I believe is the most ridiculous and is blown way out of proportion.

rockyBeli wrote:Winning is the ultimate measuring stick. Did Mark Jackson win? Could another coach have done better? That's the question that Lacob will need to answer. In the press conference, Bob Meyers said he "didn't know" if another coach would've done better with the same squad. He better know because you're making the extremely risky move over firing a successful coach in the W/L dept, in the team chemistry dept, and having the support of most fans.

This FO has been nearly perfect since they've taken over. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they show even an ounce of incompetence. I don't believe the owners and the FO wanted Jackson in the first place, he was better than Nelly, but I believe he was always a steppingstone. Again, HC is overrated unless we're talking about Phil or Papa. The FO and the players deserve way more credit than Jackson for recent success.

rockyBeli wrote:Warrior fans have seen this before. Head-scratching moves that only make sense in the minds of the FO. They don't make sense in a W/L sense or basketball sense. Lacob better be right about this grass is always greener new coach, because this just looks like another Cohan move of appeasing his own personal ego over the goal of winning.

This is not the same organization, I think that's pretty obvious. The previous regimes would have fallen in love with the stat-quo and into total complacency. It's exciting that this group isn't settling for anything less than a championship. Lacob gets far too much hate - the dude is only the best thing to happen to this franchise in decades.

I view consistency as the HC's responsibility, and we simply disagree on whether or not he was to blame for this. I realize we had a lot of injuries, but what about the games where we dropped 15 - 20+ point leads? How about the games that we'd beat a top 5 team only to be embarrassed by a horrible team days later? I'm not going to look up the examples, instead I'll assume you watched about as many games as I did (around 65 or so, including 3 in person), so I'm sure you can recall all the squandered leads we had. How many times did he allow us to lose a 10 pt lead without calling a damn TO? How many times did we live and die by Curry's superstar play, without a hint of adjusting the gameplan? We don't even need to "go there" with coaching staff turmoil he was in the midst of, because I don't put that all on him.

I could be wrong, but if nothing else I view all of this as a good indicator and positive sign that we are determined to win it all. I won't even acknowledge any comparisons of this team to Warriors teams of the past.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball