M Jax: Coaching 4 his job? Who invents this? 2 str8 playoffs

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:09 pm
I don't get the "Mark Jackson is coaching for his job" rumors we've heard in the media. He's made 2 straight playoff appearances, brought about a culture change, and the players (including Curry) love him and have his back. What exactly did we expect? The team's starters were injured for much of the year, they had the best starting 5 plus minus I believe, and it was the bench who lost the games all year (which is a GM lack of talent problem not a coaching problem).

And this Clippers series, being without Bogut severely handicaps this squad and defense. This may sound like excuse-making, but I'd say being without Bogut (and Ezeli) is a pretty important factor to winning when your DPOY-candidate / defensive anchor / rim protector is parked on the bench. Especially when you're dealing with what might be the best front court in the NBA with Griffin and Jordan.

If the Warriors win this series, that'd be a helluva job considering Bogut's injury. And if Lacob doesn't lock up M Jax for the next few years then he's an idiot.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 am
I agree ....this bench is damn near non existent at times and for us to win 51 games and push the clippers to 7 games id say hes done a pretty good job. No other coach would have done any better given the same team imo...51 games is a 3 or 4 seed in many other seasons but the west is solo tough
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:58 pm
The bench has been rather nonproductive this season but the last month or so they have been quite good. DGreen, Jermaine, Speights and to a lesser extent, Barnes, make a good bench and have performed well. Meyers is the one responsible for getting the players and so is the one who gets the credit for most of the success. I don't think many coaches would not be able to get this team to the playoffs or at least to 46 wins the last two seasons.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:25 pm
what absolutely kills me is this sentiment (usually the media of course) like there SHOULD be some anticipated firing of Jackson. Like the guy won 30 games or something and team chemistry is shi*. If Lacob gets rid of Jackson, he better have a championship-level coach lined up. No more of this Don Nelson, Keith Smart, Mike Montgomery etc etc etc where the teams would laugh hysterically at the mention of the word 'defense.'
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:49 pm
Amazing how the COY Karl got sacked after last season. That's just a degenerate showing from a FO. Therefore it is no surprise that MJackson likely will be fired or any other coach whose team has won well.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:38 pm
a dios mio

after saying all those nice things about Mark Jackson, the guy kills me sometimes in his slowness to adapt. The clippers go on a what, 12-0 run ? before he calls a friggin timeout. One of his biggest flaws is his inability to react / adapt to the moment, and to be married to his "play through it" philosophy. When the team is gaining momentum, the crowd getting into, STOP the momentum via timeout. it's game 7 ffs

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 am
You can't blame this series loss on Jackson. We were five points away from the second round without our most important defensive player vs a much more talented team.

There is zero evidence calling time outs stop runs. It's why you don't see coaches do it that often. And there is a good reason for that. A 12-0 run may not mean anything, it's random. Sometimes **** happens. It doesn't mean the team found the magic buttom.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:18 am
agree it's cuz of Bogut, just pointing out the coach has plenty of room to improve. unless I'm imagining that momentum and crowd influence exists, a timeout obviously does do something - it gives the players a break from the barrage of points and screaming crowd. no reason to let the momentum build and build when its game 7.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 am
rockyBeli wrote:agree it's cuz of Bogut, just pointing out the coach has plenty of room to improve. unless I'm imagining that momentum and crowd influence exists, a timeout obviously does do something - it gives the players a break from the barrage of points and screaming crowd. no reason to let the momentum build and build when its game 7.

I agree about calling a timeout during a run, it stops the action and maybe the other team's momentum. You are not blaming Bogut for the series loss are you? A man can't be blamed for that sort of injury.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 am
I'm blaming health, not Bogut. what could he have done when Manimal causes his injury.
Clippers had the inside advantage all series with their uber-athletic front court vs a team who's rim protectors / inside defensive presence were both injured, so I expected Clips to win.
Warriors fought though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:20 am
Just like in the Nelson days, but better now because the defense exists and is real good, the team showed that small ball can really be effective. I think that had MJack gone with the small ball lineup starting from game three, the team would have won in six.

Return to Warriors Basketball