Fire Jackson? Who'd be new Head Coach?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:21 am
Lional Hollins is out there (who btw is a great coach). Kevin Ollie (who the Lakers are looking at). Even Fred Hoiberg can be a great choice. THe last two names are currently in college. Those would be my top 3choices.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 am
AND then there is this…. Just read on nydailynews.com that Jackson and Jerry West didn't get along, to the point that West was banned from attending practices.

So those keeping track at home:
1. Mike Malone (stopped talking to jackson, left for Sacramento)
2. Brian Scalabrine (sent to d-league)
3. Darren Erman (caught audio taping jackson, fired, immediately hired by Boston Celtics)
4. Jerry West (Banned from attending practices)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:48 am
I think if the team can't lure any other great coach, they should go for Hollins, he had proven success with the Grizz and likes defense, so he'd probably fit in.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:32 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:AND then there is this…. Just read on nydailynews.com that Jackson and Jerry West didn't get along, to the point that West was banned from attending practices.

3. Darren Erman (caught audio taping jackson, fired, immediately hired by Boston Celtics)

1. Bunk
2. Scalabrine's fault
3. Yep.
4. Bunk. That's something only a person wanting to be fired would do. I think enough evidence of that is that you got it from nydailynews, and as someone who browses every team forum, I know for a fact they are the equivalent of a tabloid when it comes to sports. If that's not enough, Jackson has said Jerry West comes to practices all the time.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am
Blackfoot wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:AND then there is this…. Just read on nydailynews.com that Jackson and Jerry West didn't get along, to the point that West was banned from attending practices.

1. Bunk
2. Scalabrine's fault
3. Yep.
4. Bunk. That's something only a person wanting to be fired would do. I think enough evidence of that is that you got it from nydailynews, and as someone who browses every team forum, I know for a fact they are the equivalent of a tabloid when it comes to sports. If that's not enough, Jackson has said Jerry West comes to practices all the time.

Are we, the fans, and the media making something out of nothing?

Could it be that there are no issues between the ownership group-the front office and Marc Jackson and that this is all a creation of an overzealous media?

The team has improved each season during the Jackson era, made the playoffs in 2 out of 3 seasons, and is poised to continue in its upward progression to becoming an elite team. Yeah, the team needs to make some tweaks to the roster (the front court needs to get better on defense) and the guards need to do better at reducing turnovers; however, this team is good and this Warrior era is so much better than the "Cohan-Mullin-Nelson loser era" where we fans now have expectations to compete and go deeper in the playoffs.

Let's see if Lacob and company give Jackson a contract extension and let's see how Bob Myers can tweak this roster. I am excited for what the future brings to this franchise.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm
I read a lot, from a bunch of different sources. So i will back up my facts with several articles from very well reputed resources. SO it would be appreciative if you guys can counter it using other credible sources. Would love to be proven wrong.

1. The Malone feud was NOT bunked. It was heavily written about from all media outlets. Two articles on Mike Malone. The first one is what started it all by Tim Kawakimi of the San Jose Mercury. The second one is from Yahoo! NBA reported Adrian Worjanowski who essentially brought up the issue after the whole Scalabrine fiasco.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... teresting/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warriors-c ... 42899.html

Here are another 3 article on the other three issues (the USA Today is sort of a micro perspective of coaching and religion). CBS, Grantland both talk about the dysfunction of the whole situation. They are just a couple very credible sources (from great writers). Jackson attempted to embarrass Scalbrine and Erman. Erman did a stupid move, but it just shows the dysfunction on Jackson.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... s-continue

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-s ... -playoffs/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... n/8658755/

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm
1. Tim Kawakimi and Woj are both known for being melodramatic. Accurate sources, doesn't make for accurate pieces. They both exaggerate for click bait. I much rather trust Mike Malone, who himself said that Jackson did nearly all the work and "deserves a multi-year extension."

2. Reports came out later saying Scalabrine was isolating himself from all the other coaches and generally acting unfriendly. I don't see how this is Jackson's fault.

3. www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warri ... s/8500659/
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 pm
Blackfoot wrote:They both exaggerate for click bait.

Exactly. Let's keep things in perspective. For these guys it's a business. A lot of hype.

More Clicks = More Advertising = More cash in their pockets

It just sounds like the players really like Jackson as a leader, but the rest of the coaching staff doesn't agree with the x's and o's. And Jackson just sounds very controlling. Like he has to be in complete control of the team. Doesn't want to listen to anyone else unless it's what he wants to hear.

It's a complex and intriguing situation, because what he brings to the team is certainly of value. Do we really think there is a coach out there that would have taken them farther? I doubt it, personally. With Bogut playing even just part-time minutes I believe they would have won that series, but obviously we can't blame this on Jackson. No matter who is coaching, unless they add another piece to the puzzle, going any further than they have is probably an unreasonable expectation.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:59 am
J1000 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:They both exaggerate for click bait.

Exactly. Let's keep things in perspective. For these guys it's a business. A lot of hype.

More Clicks = More Advertising = More cash in their pockets

It just sounds like the players really like Jackson as a leader, but the rest of the coaching staff doesn't agree with the x's and o's. And Jackson just sounds very controlling. Like he has to be in complete control of the team. Doesn't want to listen to anyone else unless it's what he wants to hear.

It's a complex and intriguing situation, because what he brings to the team is certainly of value. Do we really think there is a coach out there that would have taken them farther? I doubt it, personally. With Bogut playing even just part-time minutes I believe they would have won that series, but obviously we can't blame this on Jackson. No matter who is coaching, unless they add another piece to the puzzle, going any further than they have is probably an unreasonable expectation.

Why does Bob Myers escape all examination and criticism? His roster that he put together isn't good enough to contend for an NBA title. Because the Warriors have no draft picks or cap room, they have almost no way to get better or move players for other players (trades).

This team isn't good enough talent wise. Bogut is soft and brittle. David Lee is just DONE (sadly, Lee looked like
"a deer caught in the headlights" every time the Clippers were on offense and when he was guarding either DJordan or Griffin). Teams that are as soft as the Warriors are inside don't win NBA titles, unless Lebron James is on the roster.

Too much of the focus is on Jackson. Bob Myers has escaped all criticism (for the long-time board members, I would be viewed as a hypocrite if I did not apply the same scrutiny on Myers that was placed by me on the two previous GM-bufffons, Mullin and Riley). Why does Myers not get A SINGLE SHRED of criticism from either the media or the fans?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 pm
Meyers put together arguably the most talented roster currently in the nba. I expect even more improvements.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 pm
Just found these two articles:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233305/Stan-Van-Gundy-Warriors-Had-Success-But-Something-Wasnt-Working

Stan Van Gundy: Warriors Had Success But Something Wasn't Working
May 07, 2014 1:11 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy has been mentioned in the media as a potential candidate to replace Mark Jackson as head coach of the Golden State Warriors.

“(The) Warriors had success on the floor but something wasn’t working," said Van Gundy. "You need to have alignment.”

Van Gundy has been out of coaching for two seasons after parting ways with the Orlando Magic.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that Van Gundy has support in several corners of the Warriors' organizations, but the team has yet to formally reach out to him yet.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233312/Warriors-Contact-Stan-Van-Gundy-About-Head-Coaching-Job

Warriors Contact Stan Van Gundy About Head Coaching Job
May 07, 2014 10:03 PM EDT

The Golden State Warriors have reached out to Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching vacancy, according to a source.

No interview has been set yet.

Van Gundy is interested in the Warriors' opening.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think we've heard who our next coach is.

I like SVG, he has proven success and seemed to be liked alot by his players, as firey as he can be. I actually think he'll be interviewed over the next few days and possibly hired within a week.

I think it'd be a quick and crafty transition and the players will be supportive. SVG really could be the one to lead the team far in the playoffs. He lead the Magic to the Finals against the Lakers a few years ago that we can all remember. Could be very good.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:31 am
I dont wanna go down the former commentator head coach road

If we do and we try and land Steve Kerr then i'd prefer Mark Jackson 10 times over Steve Kerr.

One was a top 5 assist leader in Indiana & the New York Knicks.

One was a role player on 6 time Chicago Bulls.

Forgive me If I stereotype on a mans physical ability (as a former player) over his mental ability (as a coaching candidate)

That's why Stan Van Gundy is the only way to go. Unlike his brother Jeff. He's been coaching recently. If we land Stan Van Gundy we will get great strategy & XNO master.

Or give me Tom Izzo. If he wants to jump to the pros.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:58 am
I agree that Kerr is a risk of a choice due to his zero HCing experience. However, having played for Phil Jackson, the master tactician, Kerr may well employ the same or very similar philosophy to his way of coaching and thus end up being a very good HC.

SVG is the best choice right now. He had much success with his teams and if you look at the Orlando roster he coached, they were not that talented. Dwight was the only legit big, though the best Center in the nba, and the other players overachieved, players like Jameer, Rashad Lewis and Turkoglu. SVG put those pieces together and made it work, each player filling their roles well.

The Warriors have alot more talent and SVG could take this roster very far, maybe to a championship. He looks like the best available right now and though I think alot of the ability of Thibs, is he going to be available for next season? He hasn't been removed from his HC job with Chicago. Carlisle would be very good as well, but Cuban knows how good he is and will hold onto him. The FO is under much scrutiny now after removing MJack and they said they were going to get a better coach so they have to do so.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:12 am
Looks like SVG is the favorite now… i would be down for that pick.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:52 pm
Pretty good Bleacher Report article here about the coaching search. Sounds like the Warriors expect Kerr to take the Knicks job, and Stan Van Gundy is their next choice.

Only problem is, what if Stan decides "Oh, you know what, all considered, I think I'd rather not coach...I just want to chill out in Florida..."

Makes me really think they just couldn't stand Jackson. The fact that they didn't have a set plan of action on who would replace him. And now they are just out there, looking around for somebody who is interested.

I hope it works out...

"Golden State Warriors Reportedly Believe Steve Kerr Won't Coach for Them
By Grant Hughes , National NBA Featured Columnist
May 11, 2014

The Golden State Warriors' head coaching search hasn't been going on for very long, but it may already be time for them to scratch Steve Kerr's name off the list of candidates.

According to Marc Stein and Ian Begley of ESPN.com:

The Golden State Warriors are increasingly pessimistic about their chances of convincing Steve Kerr to turn down the New York Knicks in favor of Golden State's coaching job, according to sources close to the process.

Though the Warriors could offer Kerr a ready-made roster with loads of talent and a location far closer to his family in Southern California, it seems Phil Jackson's presence in New York will be too much to resist. That's somewhat understandable, given Kerr's loyalty to (and faith in) the Zen Master as a leader.

Though Golden State's head coaching search is young, it doesn't lack for options. Stein and Begley also reported the Dubs have eyes for Stan Van Gundy, a man with Bay Area ties and at least a passing interest in the position.

Van Gundy said on the Amani and Eytan Show on NBC Sports Radio (h/t Pro Basketball Talk's Dan Feldman):

I think there are some positives with Golden State. As you say the talent level is there. Of the jobs that are open now they are clearly the most talented team out there. No. 2 you have a great, great fan base there, one of the best in the NBA . Number three, and I grew up there so I can speak to it, there aren’t many better places to live in the United States than the Bay Area in California. There are some positives and they are going to have a lot of people interested.

Kerr slipping away from the Warriors might not seem like a big deal, especially with Van Gundy and a host of other potential coaches—Lionel Hollins and Mike D'Antoni, to name two—still available. But the Dubs made a bold move in cutting loose Jackson, who won 51 games this past season and took Golden State to the playoffs for the second year in a row.

It seems the working environment and Jackson's standoffish demeanor forced the Warriors' hand to some degree, but the point is this: Golden State must make a splash with its next head coaching hire.

So while the Dubs don't necessarily have to nab Kerr to appease the restless section of their pro-Jackson fanbase, seeing him drift toward Jackson and the Knicks removes one of the few suitably splashy options from the market.

If Van Gundy decides he'd rather hang around in Central Florida doing some radio work, that could leave the Warriors in an even tougher position.

Hollins is in the mix, but he's hardly a marked upgrade from Jackson, and his exit from the Memphis Grizzlies last season bore eerie similarities to Jackson's ouster in Golden State.

And D'Antoni comes with more baggage than any coach on the planet.

Golden State shouldn't feel distraught over potentially losing Kerr, but it should feel a little extra pressure to hire Van Gundy. The Warriors will say they've got options, but in a very real sense, Van Gundy is the last of their good ones.

The pressure's on now, and the only thing standing between the Warriors and a very difficult offseason is a mustachioed, outspoken coach who might not even want to return to the sidelines at all."
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball