All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/jenkins/ar ... ter#page-2
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm
Whoever takes his place is going to have big shoes to fill.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:59 am
Man, I'm bummed about this. Wonder who will take his place.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:35 am
As long as it's not Tolbert, I don't care.

I think Jim Barnett is overrated because he's one of maybe 10 local color guys whose not a raging homer. But I don't find his insight very profound and neither do any of my homies who've actually balled at a competitive level. He's useful for beginners, though. My girlfriend and mom love Jim Barnett.

Personally, I'd like to see Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway, Latrell Sprewell, or any fairly relevant player from the 90's... Tolbert not included.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 am
I love Jim Barnett because you can tell what kind of person he is. His influence stretches beyond the court. Say what you will about his color commentary, I personally think its enjoyable, but Jim Barnett is a kind man. When he interviews the players, you can tell that he's genuinely curious about the things that he is asking. They're questions that are relevant and insightful. If you look at Fitz' interviews, he always tries to flatter the player. JB may do this as well, but the tone he uses is much more sincere to me. Another thing that JB does really well is be unbiased. It's not the he's not a homer, but he objectively looks at calls. The has been countless times where sites a ref making the wrong call in the Warriors favor. That's something I appreciate.

I like JB. Just wait until he leaves and another person comes in, I think you'll appreciate him more. And for god's sake, have you listened to other NBA players do color commentary? They sound like meatheads.

I'd be down with Chris Webber. Chris is koo.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm
I'll say this for Jim; the boys all seem to love him. Every dude to come ball here the past 20-30 years always seems like he and JB are tight outside of the league. And I agree with the entire bit about him being a cordial, approachable individual. Jim always struck me as someone you wanna have a brew with.

That being said... Jim's non-homerisms bordered on anti-fandom in the lean years. I specifically remember the early 2000's as the years Jim was personally trying to make me a Kings fan with his glowing endorsements of their roster and complete disregard for ours. I'm not saying I want him to go full-blown Fitz (seriously, behind Hawk Harrelson, there may not be a bigger home announcing today than Bob), but a big reason it was hard to stay true during the tough times was because Jim always seemed more interested in the Lakers, Kings, and Spurs during their heyday. He's made a complete about-face since then, but prior to a couple years ago, I never really cared for Jim. He's definitely grown on me though.

Random fact: my brother and I made a drinking game out of Jim's commentary: you finish your drink when he teleprompts which way a jump ball is supposed to go AND everytime he mentions the 2-for-1, and you drink every time he serves up an ambiguously gay phrase or sentence (Jim loves the phrase "backdoor-penetration" and he refers to breaking a defender down as "BEATING HIS MAN OFF (the dribble)". Seriously, I recommend the JB drinking game to anyone looking to improve their game experience. Hasn't failed me yet.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:37 am
I dunno, I think thats an unfair judgement. I think hindsight is a our bestfriend here, because who in the fuk could be genuinely excited about the warriors between the TMC era up to what we call the "We Believe" years? There was a huge black hole for up to almost 2 decades. I'll honestly admit that I don't remember JB giving the backhand to our franchise by hyping up the Kings and Lakers, but hell, if he did, he did with good reason. Those Kings team that Mike Bibby lead were one of the most exciting teams to watch and the Lakers had an era where they won 3 championships. So, if he was giving them their due respect then they deserved it!

But whatever. I genuinely had enjoyed Jim Barnett, with or without that drinking game. I think he was genuine and sincere and I appreciate that a great deal. I'll be sad when he leaves as the color commentator and hope that the person replacing him will be just as good. Every once in awhile, we hear about that announcer that was in the booth for 30-40 years that passed away and how they were the voice of their perspective team, and I think JB was that for Warriors, but he doesn't get his due because we were that damn horrible. I for appreciate his body of work for the Warriors and bid him a good farewell and thank you.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm
Hey, fair enough. I appreciate what Jim's meant to the franchise and I'll celebrate his career when the time's right. That being said, I won't bawl my eyes out like I will when Kruk and Kuip call it quits.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 am
32 wrote:Hey, fair enough. I appreciate what Jim's meant to the franchise and I'll celebrate his career when the time's right. That being said, I won't bawl my eyes out like I will when Kruk and Kuip call it quits.

Agreed!

Kruk and Kuip providing color commentary is much like sitting at a bar or a cafe having a conversation with knowledgeable guys who are warm, embracing and fun to talk with/listen to.

With Barnett, and it might be because he has been paired up with Fitz (the ultimate when it comes to marginal talent getting a job because of family connections), I never feel like he is giving viewers much insight.

I would love to see the team bring back Greg Papa and pair him with either Rick Barry (memo to Rick: "no more references to watermelons.") or Gary Payton (the Glove is from Oakland and has incredible insight into the game).

Return to Warriors Basketball