GSW trivia

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:48 am
Hi guys. It's the offseason, still, and this place is rather quiet. We've had a thread about GSW trivia and it is a nice activity for a while, so I thought I'd do another one and see how smart we really are on the franchise.

What I want to do is focus on one decade at a time and since most here are quite young, seemingly most under thirty, we can keep it from the 1990s onwards.

Starting with the 1990s, I'll ask the first question, try to use your knowledge rather than go straight to google :wink:

Qu. Who was the first "lottery pick" of the decade?

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Errrrr.... Chris Webber?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:05 pm
That's right... Unless we're counting the bottom 14 spots. If a top 14 pick is a lottery pick, then Tyrone Hill in 1990 was the first real lottery pick the team got.

How about a recent one: in the '98 draft, the Dubs dealt their #5 pick and cash to Toronto for Antawn Jamison to block a rumored Jamison deal to... What team?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:17 am
Wasn't the trade for Jameson with Toronto for Vince Carter?

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but my Guess with be Charlette because both Jamison and Carter were Tar Heels.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:27 pm
The deal was indeed with Toronto, but the team the Raptors were supposedly flirting with was... the Dallas Mavericks. :wink:

If you'll recall, Nellie was absolutely giddy at the idea of coaching Jamison... he single-handedly acquired him from Golden State 6 years later for Nick Van Exel and a grab bag of who gives a sh*t... But Nellie also had a backup plan, who turned out to be the steal of the draft:

In 1998, with the Clippers committing to Michael Olowokandi (the center piece they'd hoped would push their core of Loy Vaught, Brent Barry, and Rodney Rogers over the top), the expansion Grizzlies taking the best point guard in the draft (Bibby), and the Nuggets needing a high-IQ, smart, skilled big man like LaFrentz (AKA, the complete OPPOSITE of their two current bigs: Danny Fortson and Tony Battie)... the Warriors were hoping that Jamison would slide right by the Raptors (who already had Tracy McGrady, Doug Christie, and Walt Williams taking up their wing minutes) and fall into their laps.

Nellie, suspecting the same, offered the Raptors a low-ball package as a red herring; the Don used to love swerving fools at the draft by hyping up a guy he wanted, then going with a complete unknown whom nobody had scouted... in this case, that guy was Dirk Nowitski - whom Nellie stole from the Bucks for Robert Traylor, after going on record that he believed "Tractor" was gonna be the next Shaq. Nowitski, however, was Nellie's backup plan (not that he'd ever admit as much today...). Before trading back to get Dirk, Nellie offered the Raptors his pick, plus cash, to swap spots with him (4 for 6). The Warriors caught wind of this and offered the Raptors the same, with more cash ($250K, I believe, instead of the $50K Nellie was offering). Toronto chose Golden State for the extra cash AND the extra spot; instructing Golden State to select Vince Carter for them at #5.

The rest, as they say, is history!

How about another one: during the late 90's, the Warriors were a revolving door for former starting point guards. They trotted out Bimbo Coles from the Heat, BJ Armstrong from the Bulls, and Muggsy Bogues from the Hornets... can anyone name the former Atlanta Hawks star that followed suit as another desperate Warriors move that ended with horrible overpayment for a dying star?
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm
Mookie Blaylock

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 am
Without Google, what was the package the Warriors received for Joe Smith from Philly?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm
32 wrote:Without Google, what was the package the Warriors received for Joe Smith from Philly?

Im not googling. Unfortunately I'm old enough to know who mookie is.

was that the trade that sent over chris mills, terry cummings, and jon starks?

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 pm
I thought starks and mills came in from the spreewell trade to the knicks, not the 76ers... honestly, i dont remember the smith trade. it turned out shitty for both teams.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:10 am
Wasn't that Jim Jackson and Weatherspoon.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 am
terrence mfken weatherspoon... lol

Return to Warriors Basketball