2 questions: Who is sent down & Does this affect Barnes?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 pm
Now they have 13 players. Is Nedovic likely to be sent down for now? Also with Jermaine and Speights, does this make it awkward for Barnes since he was going to play the 4 a lot?
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:27 pm
I think Nedovic gets sent down, but called up eventually. Unless they send Bazemore down, which I could see. I don't thinking the signing of O'Neal or Speights will affect Barnes at all. I don't think they planned on playing Barnes at PF for any significant stretch of the season this year. He is a true SF. I think the Iggy signing is actually what will affect Barnes. It will either affect Barnes or Klay, or both. I could see Iggy jumping from SG to SF throughout the hear, and spelling Klay and Barnes in each occasion.

If I had to guess, they're going to make Barnes the 6th man.. He'll come off the bench, yet get heavy minutes, ala Jack last year. we'll see.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm
Stairway, my friend, I literally think you're the ONLY one here whose not stoked to have a stacked, championship roster now. :wink:

How does this effect Barnes? It puts him back at the 3 spot more. Jermaine will hardly ever play PF here; he was acquired to backup Bogut and that's it. Speights, likewise, is Lee's backup... But he'll be handy because he's big enough to be the 5 in a small ball lineup, so the times where Lee would slide up to center to play alongside Landry will now be reversed: it's Speights who will be the 5, making Lee exclusively a PF, where he's at his best.

Who do these moves effect most? Well, Nedo, #1. The addition of Tony D puts him in a 3rd string role, which is no problem to me. The guy is a young, Euro league prospect, so backup NBA point may have been too much responsibility anyway. Nedo is gonna be an injury reserve.

Who else is gonna feel these moves? Well, Ezeli for sure. The kid is out for half the year, so his role has been replaced. He's gone from 4th big man (last year) to 5th big man this year. Assuming everyone is healthy, Ezeli will have Biedrins' old role when he returns next year. Now, both Bogut and O'Neal have had injury issues throughout their careers, so lets not get carried away and act like Ezeli is out of the fold completely. Odds are, by the time he's back, either Bogut or Jermaine will be banged up and he'll get some run in.

Draymond Green is also gonna get less tick. Putting Barnes on the bench and bringing Mo in to backup Lee means that Draymond will have a smaller role than he did in the playoffs. Think of last year before Jefferson was benched: when RJ was the backup 3 and Landry the backup 4 and DG only got run every few games when the team needed an energy boost. That'll probably be his role this year.

Being 3rd string doesn't mean you're useless though. Injuries always happen and the best teams are ready for them. Curry, Bogut, and Jermaine are all likely to miss games and then you're bound to have another freak injury to an unforeseen player or players. Nedo, Green, and (later) Ezeli will be ready should something happen.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:46 pm
Warriorsallday wrote:I think Nedovic gets sent down, but called up eventually. Unless they send Bazemore down, which I could see. I don't thinking the signing of O'Neal or Speights will affect Barnes at all. I don't think they planned on playing Barnes at PF for any significant stretch of the season this year. He is a true SF. I think the Iggy signing is actually what will affect Barnes. It will either affect Barnes or Klay, or both. I could see Iggy jumping from SG to SF throughout the hear, and spelling Klay and Barnes in each occasion.

If I had to guess, they're going to make Barnes the 6th man.. He'll come off the bench, yet get heavy minutes, ala Jack last year. we'll see.

This. I don't see Speights eating into Barne's PT much. O'Neal will be at C, so nothing to worry about there.

Barnes only averaged 25.4 MP in 81 regular season starts last year. Jack had 29.7 with only 4 starts. If anything, I think Barnes might see more PT, perhaps borrowing a few minutes from Klay who averaged 35.8 minutes in all 82 starts or from Lee's 36.8 MP in 79 starts.

We had some guys playing heavy minutes throughout the season; here is your top 12:

Code: Select all
1.   Damian Lillard-POR   3167
2.   Kevin Durant-OKC   3119
3.   Monta Ellis-MIL   3076
4.   DeMar DeRozan-TOR   3013
   Kobe Bryant-LAL   3013
6.   James Harden-HOU   2985
7.   Stephen Curry-GSW   2983
8.   Paul George-IND   2972
9.   Klay Thompson-GSW   2936
10.   Jrue Holiday-PHI   2926
11.   O.J. Mayo-DAL   2913
12.   David Lee-GSW   2907

I'd like to see us fix this. Barnes could be a versatile 6th man and help keep these guys fresh for the postseason.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:57 pm
Barnes will be getting the same if not more minutes than last year. I don't think Iggy hurts him at all.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Barnes will be getting the same if not more minutes than last year. I don't think Iggy hurts him at all.

Its in fact the opposite; Iggy helps Barnes out tremendously. If anyone can show him the ropes of how to penetrate and dish to become a well-rounded small forward, it's Iggy. AND, playing side-by-side, a cutter like Barnes will benefit from a guy like Iggy in there pulling the strings and running the offense.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 am
Basically, we don't have a backup SG. I think that Iguodala's natural position is 2, more than a 3, but nevertheless, he will start at SF for us most likely. And, because of that Barnes will have to come in from the bench, and when he does, a I believe that he will not replace Iggy, but instead, Iggy will move to SG.

That way Klay will lose just a little bit of those heavy minutes he played. Which I believe is a good thing, cause he needs a rest, and that will come in handy, when we need him to shoot good, and he comes off the bench rested.

We will have three man rotation at SG and SF for the most part. Possibly Draymond will get some minutes at SF.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:38 pm
Guybrush wrote:Basically, we don't have a backup SG. I think that Iguodala's natural position is 2, more than a 3, but nevertheless, he will start at SF for us most likely. And, because of that Barnes will have to come in from the bench, and when he does, a I believe that he will not replace Iggy, but instead, Iggy will move to SG.

That way Klay will lose just a little bit of those heavy minutes he played. Which I believe is a good thing, cause he needs a rest, and that will come in handy, when we need him to shoot good, and he comes off the bench rested.

We will have three man rotation at SG and SF for the most part. Possibly Draymond will get some minutes at SF.

Bazemore is listed as a SG, and I don't recall him playing much, if any, PG. Even in garbage time I feel like Jack was handling the point.

I think Bazemore stays - more NBA experience, taller, more versatile because he can probably play either PG or SG.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 pm
Forgot about him for some reason. And I like him. #-o

Man, I do need more sleep.

I'd like to see him and Nedovic together at guard positions in garbage time. I don't know if Nedovic will be a good defender in the NBA, but Kent is, and on offense, Nedovic can create for others with his penetration, and give room for Bazemore to shoot. I'd like to see that young duo together on the floor.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 am
JREED wrote:
Warriorsallday wrote:I think Nedovic gets sent down, but called up eventually. Unless they send Bazemore down, which I could see. I don't thinking the signing of O'Neal or Speights will affect Barnes at all. I don't think they planned on playing Barnes at PF for any significant stretch of the season this year. He is a true SF. I think the Iggy signing is actually what will affect Barnes. It will either affect Barnes or Klay, or both. I could see Iggy jumping from SG to SF throughout the hear, and spelling Klay and Barnes in each occasion.

This. I don't see Speights eating into Barne's PT much. O'Neal will be at C, so nothing to worry about there.

Barnes only averaged 25.4 MP in 81 regular season starts last year. Jack had 29.7 with only 4 starts. If anything, I think Barnes might see more PT, perhaps borrowing a few minutes from Klay who averaged 35.8 minutes in all 82 starts or from Lee's 36.8 MP in 79 starts.

We had some guys playing heavy minutes throughout the season; here is your top 12:

Code: Select all
1.   Damian Lillard-POR   3167
2.   Kevin Durant-OKC   3119
3.   Monta Ellis-MIL   3076
4.   DeMar DeRozan-TOR   3013
   Kobe Bryant-LAL   3013
6.   James Harden-HOU   2985
7.   Stephen Curry-GSW   2983
8.   Paul George-IND   2972
9.   Klay Thompson-GSW   2936
10.   Jrue Holiday-PHI   2926
11.   O.J. Mayo-DAL   2913
12.   David Lee-GSW   2907

I'd like to see us fix this. Barnes could be a versatile 6th man and help keep these guys fresh for the postseason.

great point. I agree with the fact we need to alleviate some of the heavy minutes, and having someone as versatile as Iggy will do just that. Not only that, but if Barnes does indeed become the 6th man, he'll be as good as a reserve as they come.. We're stacked.. Guys should be fresh, and hopefully, this equals fewer injury results.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:48 am
Guybrush wrote:Basically, we don't have a backup SG. I think that Iguodala's natural position is 2, more than a 3, but nevertheless, he will start at SF for us most likely. And, because of that Barnes will have to come in from the bench, and when he does, a I believe that he will not replace Iggy, but instead, Iggy will move to SG.

Agree, Iguodala will play both SG and SF and Klay and Barnes will be SG and SF respectively, Barnes from the bench. I think Barnes will get about 30mins a game this coming season and that's quite good at this stage. It'd be great to have no player log more than 35mins a game, the team is deep enough to do that.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball