Are the Warriors Worse now?????????

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:28 am
I'd like to get Gortat from Phoenix. Had read that he wanted out of there and he has only one year left on his contract, which is at 7.7 million. The TE can be used to get him, giving Phoenix leverage to go hard at next offseason's FAs, which there are many stars coming out. They also have been said to want Asik now that Dwight's in Houston and the TE could allow them that.

That'd leave still some 16 million of the TE left, not that the team should use that, but allows to get a backup PG and/or another backup big. Heck, if the team wants to be one of those high spending teams, like Lakers and Knicks have been for so long, they can use all of the TE and get loaded on talent.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:45 am
Asik is a great idea. In fact that would be ideal for Bogut. We don't want Bogut playing 40 minutes or even 35 minutes on most nights. With Asik, there wouldn't even be a need for that. They could each play like 20 minutes and even let Lee grab the remainder minutes. I'm starting to think now that we don't really need another power forward if we're going to go in the direction of Barnes playing backup 4 and backup 3. Barnes needs his minutes. Green has shown he can play power foward. And at the end of the day, doesn't double double Lee play heavy minutes anyways? I would rather play a little small but big at the center. Come to think of it, the top teams do that nowadays. Miami and OKC have no substantial size at the 4. Denver didn't last year. But Denver had lots of wing players and long centers. It worked for GSW in the playoffs come to think of it, with Bogut playing with all the quicker guys. But we do have Lee if we wanna go more traditional too.

Yea... I want Asik or Gortat. Then maybe one more point guard?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:07 am
Most teams(except the desperate ones) are going to stay well away from Asik's horrendous contract. I'd love Jermaine O'Neal, JJ Hickson or Marreese Speights as a backup big man and I'd take someone like Randy Foye or Mo Williams for the backup PG.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 am
Can they afford mo will, mo will and oneal would be cool with me. Or Lin and asik or Lin and gortat
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 pm
I just read about Ezeli's surgery. Somehow that news was off my radar. Says earliest return would be mid-December. So he's missing probably the first half of the season, at least.

I didn't realize this. This makes the need for another big man (4 or 5) even more serious. What if Bogut goes out again ? I think we would know by now it is more likely than not.

They definitely will be picking somebody up, the need is too obvious. Even more so than the backup point.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:09 pm
Dallas and the Warriors are pursuing Jermaine O'neal, but Mo Williams was already saying he wasn't going to go back to Utah if he's not a starter. That would lead me to assume that he's not going to any team where he's not the starter. I doubt he'll take the veteran minimum as well.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:38 pm
Jermaine would be the ideal addition.

Still a terrific shot-blocker and he can heat up in the paint offensively. He's a total blackhole though, so I don't wanna hear anybody talking about how he'd help the shooters. Think a less efficient Landry, but far greater defense.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:19 am
I admit I haven't seen Jermaine play in a couple of years, but is he still a good defender and rebounder? If so, what a great signing.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm
migya wrote:I admit I haven't seen Jermaine play in a couple of years, but is he still a good defender and rebounder? If so, what a great signing.

He had somewhat of a bounce back year in limited minutes. IMO, quality signing. He should be good for 15+ min spelling Bogut.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm
8th ave gotta ask....who is the female in your sig?! I can't concentrate on warrior basketball when you post in a thread lol
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:56 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:8th ave gotta ask....who is the female in your sig?! I can't concentrate on warrior basketball when you post in a thread lol

Sorry, man. I genuinely have no clue. lol
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:I admit I haven't seen Jermaine play in a couple of years, but is he still a good defender and rebounder? If so, what a great signing.

He had somewhat of a bounce back year in limited minutes. IMO, quality signing. He should be good for 15+ min spelling Bogut.

15 minutes is a little bit of a stretch, JR. I think he gives you around 10, with 5 or 6 more during Bogut injury periods.

Migs, Jermaine has lost a step of quickness in the paint, but has maintained his shot-blocking instincts that he developed in Indiana. Defensively, he lurks the paint and gets a lot of help-side blocks (which he balances by taking a good amount of charges, too). Offensively, he's not the player he used to be. Most bigs improve their jumpers over the course of their careers; Jermaine hasn't. He's not useless though; he draws a lotta contact at the rim, finishes through it, and hits his free throws at an over 70% clip.

Think of a more offensively-gifted, but slower, version of Ezeli. Jermaine's athleticism that made him a star isn't apart of his game anymore, but he's still a stud shot-blocker; possibly the best backup shot-blocker we've had since the departure of Turiaf. Last year (in his 17th season) he had one game, in particular, where he sent back 7 shots in one night. That's Jermaine's game now; he's a top notch rim protector in limited run.

Most games, he'll give you a couple of blocks, 2 or 3 boards, 1 bucket, and 1 trip to the free throw line in 10 minutes off the bench. Don't look for him to distribute at all; he's a bigger black-hole than Landry was.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 pm
Doesn't sound like Jermaine is good enough to be the starter if Bogut gets injured again. His production last season looks very good and if he could repeat that, he is good enough to start in place of Bogut for a few games.

Spreights might also be able to play some Center and do it well, but I would have liked to have gone after Dalembert if he could have been had for no more than 2.5 million. Dallas got him to be their starter, which is horrible, but as a backup he's pretty ideal. Maybe Oden, if noone else gets him, can be had for 1 million a year. It'd be interesting how he'd go here in spurts.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 pm
You hit it on the head: Jermaine isn't starter quality anymore. Or, rather, he shouldn't get starter's minutes. Sure, he may get the jump ball when Bogut's hurt, but you're right about Speights getting most of the backup 5 minutes. I see a lot of Speights-Lee action in store for us next year. Jermaine can't give the team more than a handful of 30 minute games next year (meaning 4 or 5, tops). He just doesn't have the legs anymore. The Phoenix training staff can make anyone look great, but if Michael Redd, Shaquille O'Neal, and Steve Nash are any indication, Jermaine's production will drop sharply next year away from the Suns' trainers.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball