No, we'd need to throw in a lot more for Orlando
17%
No, I don't want those players
17%

Total votes : 6

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 am
I can't help thinking that one of the rubbish teams like Orlando, Sacramento, Washington, Cleveland or Charlotte would be tempted to tank next season to give themselves the best chance for a potential franchise player like Andrew Wiggins in the 2014 draft. To do that, they'd need to get rid of some of the best players from their roster for next season to ensure that they finished with the worst record. Which is where we come into the picture. For example, if we traded Biedrins or Jefferson with Sacramento for Tyreke Evans and Jason Thomson, we'd get our big backup PG to replace Jack and a rebounding, shot blocking PF to replace Landry and the Kings would get a chump that they'd sit at the end of the bench until their contract expires and effectively tank their season for maximum balls in the 2014 lottery. For most of these teams, the only way that they're going to have a chance of featuring in the NBA finals will be via the Oklahoma Thunder method of drafting a number of star players. The Cavs and Wizards already have their star point guards, so they're best chance to become an elite team is to add another star like Wiggins to their roster. I'm sure there would be a GM willing to give up another season to have a roll of the dice for Wiggins. If they miss out on the number 1 pick in 2014, they'll still draft a reasonable player and they'll have the salary cap space from the expired contract they acquired from us to target one of the star free agents available in 2014.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 am
Worth a try. I want to get rid of AB and RJ for little salary, better to be like a future 2nd rounder from a team with a low salarycap, but that is very unlikely. The only way is to a team with a player or players that get paid pretty bad themselves but for longer years and to that the answer is no.

A team looking to hit the FA market in a year is the way to go.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 am
No team will absorb two monster contracts on useless players without sending back enormous contracts in return. Besides, salary means nothing if we don't use it. I'd prefer to use our expirers as leverage to get productive players (ala, this Magic trade) than to simply get them off the books and try our hand at free agency - which hasn't worked for us in the past; we've been spurned by DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Elton Brand, Baron Davis, and Gilbert Arenas in the past... And none of those guys lived up to their money anyways, so there's no reason to dole out a $65 million deal for 5 years of a guy who will end up underperforming. Gimme a known commodity for 2 years of slight overpayment.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:34 am
Deandre didn't spurn us, he was a RFA. He had no choice as to where he goes.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am
Fsho, in fact, we really hamstrung the Clippers on that one. Shrewd move by Myers; either we acquire a starting 5 from a division rival or we force them to put big money on their books before paying extensions to Paul and Griffin. Total win-win.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am
Blackfoot wrote:Contrary to popular belief, stats are actually what happened on the court.

lol

I'm probably misunderstanding this a lot, but what actually happens on the court is sooooo much more than stats. There's no stat for intangibles, intimidation, composure, pressure, trust in your teammate, etc.

eh as far as Orlando trade, it'd be a nice plan B if we lose Jack and/or Landry. That 2nd unit is lacking some offense tho. Think Warriors need to go hard after re-signing Jack because he brings such a needed toughness and leadership to this team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 pm
I'm suggesting this as a pairing with a Jack resign for the MLE. If you lose Jack, your priority is a backup point guard. But if Jack comes back, why not nail this trade as a replacement for Landry's production?

Afflalo is a huge upgrade from Jefferson, Big Baby is an enormously better player than Biedrins, and Harrington adds an extra shooter to the mix who will never see the light of day (I'm talking, less than 5 mpg for Al, unless injuries hit).
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball