Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 pm
rockyBeli wrote:game 3 of the playoffs

2 things:

1) Bogut's value to this team is immeasurable

2) This is what happens when Lee is treated as an afterthought for most of the season. If you compare this year vs last, it's mainly the Curry and Klay show on offense, with Lee as an afterthought. Last season Lee was the workhorse, made the all star team, made all-nba 3rd team, and the team LOOKED for him more on offense. He got his touches, not just points from putbacks. I will maintain that this team is most lethal not when Curry is your go-to guy, but when Lee Curry Klay are your EQUAL three headed monsters. The Warriors haven't looked to Lee to be EQUAL 3 headed monster this year, and that's SHOWED big time --- they're not used to it because all year they've relied on Curry and Klay jacking up 3 after 3. But in the playoffs, it's easier for teams to gameplan and take those jumpers away, and when the jumpers get cold -- what do you have left??

Curry's good, but by nature of his game -- jump shooting and not living at the FT line -- he is NOT at the level YET of these guys like Lebron Durant Blake or even someone like James Harden. These guys you give them the ball and they get buckets regardless. As we've seen this series, Curry can be contained.

You are dismissing the most important part of winning: individual and team defense.

How good is David Lee at stopping his man one-on-one?

How good is David Lee at providing both weak-side as well as rotation help when a teammate needs help on defense?

The big hole in David Lee's game is that he is a flat out horrible defender.

David Lee finishing a break, getting put-back shots, and beating his man one-on-one from the wing is very good. David Lee playing defense is just painful to watch.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 pm
Lee played with no heart tonight. He completely disappeared in the 2nd half. I want to see Green get the start in game 4, he was our MVP tonight.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 am
JREED wrote:Lee played with no heart tonight. He completely disappeared in the 2nd half. I want to see Green get the start in game 4, he was our MVP tonight.

Good analysis of Game 3.

What was especially disappointing in Lee's play was how he allowed for Blake Griffin to establish position on offense without any resistance. If Lee had any desire or heart to play defense, he would have fought to not allow for Griffin to establish position on the block or on the wing.

Even more galling was watching Lee not help on weakside and rotation defense.

Lee can always be the best player on a bad team; however, he is demonstrating that he is not even an average player on a good team.

The Warriors need more from Lee; however, just how motivated is Lee to play defense?

Lee, obviously the pet of Lacob and Myers, should have been dealt this past off season in a package that would have brought back to the Warriors a better inside defensive presence (a Kevin Love, a Greg Monroe, etc).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:55 am
Haven't seen the game yet, but if Lee was guarding Griffin most of the time, that's MJackson's fault. Griffin really has been great in his minutes all three games and Jermaine should have been the player assigned to defend him, though hard double teaming should have been employed.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:51 am
migya wrote:Haven't seen the game yet, but if Lee was guarding Griffin most of the time, that's MJackson's fault. Griffin really has been great in his minutes all three games and Jermaine should have been the player assigned to defend him, though hard double teaming should have been employed.

Migya, good comments; however, Jermaine was needed to guard Jordan. If Lee was guarding Jordan, who also had a great defensive game, Jordan would have scored over 30 (he had 14 pts last night) to go along with his 22 rebounds and 5 block shots.

Let's face it, David Lee, while possessing good offensive skills, has no desire to work hard on the defensive end of the floor.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:45 am
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:Haven't seen the game yet, but if Lee was guarding Griffin most of the time, that's MJackson's fault. Griffin really has been great in his minutes all three games and Jermaine should have been the player assigned to defend him, though hard double teaming should have been employed.

Migya, good comments; however, Jermaine was needed to guard Jordan. If Lee was guarding Jordan, who also had a great defensive game, Jordan would have scored over 30 (he had 14 pts last night) to go along with his 22 rebounds and 5 block shots.

Let's face it, David Lee, while possessing good offensive skills, has no desire to work hard on the defensive end of the floor.

Lee is better guarding the least scoring of their two bigs, which is DJordan. Jermaine is a better defender and should defend Griffin, though he'll also get called for fouls because the refs are against us in this series. Hard double teaming, using Lee from the opposite side to double is the best strategy. Lee has to box out DJordan and I think Iguodala should be in the vicinity to help outrebound DJordan.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 am
You guys are blaming the wrong person. Migya is correct. All blame goes to Mark Jackson. We already know Lee cannot defend too well. Green is clearly a better defender.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:04 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:You guys are blaming the wrong person. Migya is correct. All blame goes to Mark Jackson. We already know Lee cannot defend too well. Green is clearly a better defender.

I blame Jackson also, but not for that (maybe going with Lee over Green). Jackson should have made some offensive adjustments when the ball wasn't falling.

Lee can play better than he did, instead he barely showed up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:44 pm
Lee should have been more assertive, but it seems like he didn't get much of the ball either, as alot of outside shots were taken and missed I might add. Especially if it's Griffin defending Lee, Lee has to get the ball a bit, especially early on.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 pm
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Lee is better guarding the least scoring of their two bigs, which is DJordan. Jermaine is a better defender and should defend Griffin, though he'll also get called for fouls because the refs are against us in this series. Hard double teaming, using Lee from the opposite side to double is the best strategy. Lee has to box out DJordan and I think Iguodala should be in the vicinity to help outrebound DJordan.

Lee, while good on the offensive end of the floor, again was absolutely horrible guarding DJordan, not Griffin.

And yes, Coach Jackson should adjust by sitting Lee, a huge defensive liability, and play Green and Barnes instead.

Again, with Lee guarding DJordan, DJordan out-ran and out-hustlied Lee, getting behind Lee in the transition game (this, alone, should have gotten DLee benched) and scoring easy baskets. Why? Because Lee does not hustle nor work hard on defense. This is inexcusable!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 am
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Lee, while good on the offensive end of the floor, again was absolutely horrible guarding DJordan, not Griffin.

And yes, Coach Jackson should adjust by sitting Lee, a huge defensive liability, and play Green and Barnes instead.

Again, with Lee guarding DJordan, DJordan out-ran and out-hustlied Lee, getting behind Lee in the transition game (this, alone, should have gotten DLee benched) and scoring easy baskets. Why? Because Lee does not hustle nor work hard on defense. This is inexcusable!

Better work is needed against DJordan, as he scored and rebounded way too much last game, but Lee played well himself offensively at least and can't be taken out for long periods, unless a lineup that works is found. Small ball worked well game 3 and that should be returned to next game at home.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:15 am
I cannot blame Lee this time for Jordan's outburst. Clippers were making the extra pass, which allowed for the different warrior players to get out of position (Jackson was doing some half man, have zone **** he seems to be doing lately). Sure Lee is a step slow on D, but like Migya said, we need him for our offense. Plus, Draymond had early foul trouble, which eventually led to Lee getting it as well.

I do like Draymonds play in the series. He has prove his value and importance all season.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I cannot blame Lee this time for Jordan's outburst. Clippers were making the extra pass, which allowed for the different warrior players to get out of position (Jackson was doing some half man, have zone **** he seems to be doing lately). Sure Lee is a step slow on D, but like Migya said, we need him for our offense. Plus, Draymond had early foul trouble, which eventually led to Lee getting it as well.

I do like Draymonds play in the series. He has prove his value and importance all season.

It shows David Lee's lack of commitment to playing defense when he let's the man whom he is guarding (DJordan in Game 5) beat him down the floor and get easy baskets. Never should a center or a power forward get behind the defense and for this very reason David Lee should be benched. He, Lee, allowed for Griffin to do this when he was guarding Griffin and now he is letting DJordan do this when he is guarding DJordan.

I like David Lee. I enjoy watching David Lee score points; however, David Lee is hurting this Warrior team with his play...or lack of play...on the defensive end of the floor.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:59 pm
Lee's never been a good defender, which is why having a Bogut or Ezeli back there is so important. We would've owned the Clippers with Bogut no doubt. I'd like to see them post up Lee more. What is his usage rate compared with last season? I guarantee last season he saw more touches in the post where he could make a move the hoop or make a play for someone else. Warriors need to make Griffin work on D. 1 vs 1 him with Lee or if Jordan is guarding Lee, have him face him up and take him off the dribble. I just don't think this jump shooting is a sustainable way to score. Need some go-to PIP from Lee. And the team needs to not abandon the post up from Lee just because he misses one or two.

GO DUBS !
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 pm
I think after evening the series and taking it to the seventh game that the team has to use the small ball as much as possible. The speed and shooting is just too good having Curry, Klay, AI, DGreen and Lee out there together and the defense is good also. With Lee, the pick and roll is his bread and butter and because of his niftiness he can score well with either hand. I like what Lee brings offensively, but it has to take to his strengths, not post ups against DJordan which obviously doesn't work in his favour.

The team has shown they can beat the Clips and step up. We are far better defensively and if the shots start to fall well, we will win rather easily.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball