Identity Crisis (Learn from Spurs)

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:47 pm
The Spurs are targeted but they fit what is needed and they develop into what is needed as well. It is Popovich's system that is the great factor.

Our bench had good players after the trade for Blake and Crawford was made. Blake, Crawford, Barnes, DGreen, Speights and Jermaine are good players but none other than DGreen did more than expected, most did less. Most expected Barnes to improve and instead he did less. Crawford did not perform like he did in Boston, granted he started there, and Speights was not good the first half of the season.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:56 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:Great post, WSU.

I've been calling for a greater emphasis on high-percentage options ever since the beginning of the 6-game losing streak. Not necessarily low block play-calling, mind you. Just higher-percentage than the infernal Klay/Steph curl and chuck. To my mind, David Lee should be the absolute center of this offense. Maybe he's not a #1 option every year, but this year the dude is absolutely unguardable in one-on-one coverage. I like the idea of clearing him a side and having either Klay or Steph feed him the ball - anywhere from the baseline to the free-throw-line extended - so he can go to work out of the face-up position. In single coverage, Lee should be good for 25 points on more than 50% shooting if he gets more looks than Curry, Klay, or Jack (which, based on the percentages from the floor, he SHOULD).

Force-feeding Lee will breed double-teams, make no mistake about it. And WCW is more than capable of finding the open man from nearly every situation, be it the triple-threat, off the dribble, out of the spin, even over his shoulder (like it was to Bogut a couple games back). David Lee is incredibly aware and more than capable of being the center of this offense. When teams overload his side, the perimeter will open up for Klay, Steph, Jack, and Barnes. Curry only needs an eyelash of room to get off something wet, HB and Thompson can use their pump fakes more effectively when the defense is crashing (rather than stationary), and Jack can penetrate all the easier with a defense out of position. Literally, everybody benefits from the ball going through Lee.

As far as the 5 spot goes... I'm sorry, Carl, but it's a janitorial position. I want shot-blocking, first and foremost. The Landry-Lee tandem is DEVASTATING when kept in check, but teams have learned to punch the ball inside when those two share minutes because neither of them will protect the rim. You neutralize this by pairing Lee with Ezeli/Biedrins and Landry with Bogut (since Bogut is your best passing center and Landry is something of a black hole). I'm not saying you abandon the Lee-Landry tandem, since it works statistically, but I'd rather see them play 10-15 minutes beside each other instead of 25. We need offensive glass from our 5, along with shot-blocking and hard fouls.

Defensively, I say don't abandon the zone, but reserve it for a 3rd quarter change-up (the way they were earlier in the season when they were locking squads up). Some dudes just flat out suffer in the zone; if Bogut can't cover a close-out, you can't run it when he's on the floor. Curry, Thompson, Biedrins, and Barnes all also seem to be confused by where they need to be in a zone setting. Reserve the zone for your B-Squad defensive team; Green, Jack, Ezeli, and Landry are all good zone players. Instead of 60% man-40% zone, cut the zone back (like you're cutting the Lee-Landry tandem back). If something's your secret weapon, it works 100 times better than when you overuse it and give teams a chance to adjust. Zones should be kept for when you're getting torn up inside and not simply when your starters are tired and you don't wanna take them out.

In conclusion:

1, more looks for Lee. Get him more attempts than Steph, Klay, and Jack
2, the shooters work off the bigs, not the other way around
3, keep your change-ups fresh by not overusing them (ie, the zone defense and Landry-Lee)
4, Bazemore, Green, and Ezeli need more tick than simply the last minute of quarters
5, your starting bigs are GREAT passers. Run the offense through them and let the guards fire away

I think that blue-print looks a lot more like Memphis than San Antonio... and I'm okay with that, cause we don't have a Duncan or free-throw whores like Ginobli/Parker.

Going all the way back, I like what you wrote, 32 we see the light as many others do. I still prefer the rapid ball movement of the Spurs, than compared to the Griz who have two legit post players. Bogut as we have seen here has not been used much in the post, making the PF position and Lee the only post position. But do we have the outside shooters hell yes, the best in-fact, so why don't we provide them more space, although we know Curry don't need much room to get one off.

They key is more ball movement, and sharing the ball, its crazy Kawhi Leonard was the Final M.V.P, with all the stars he came through, shout out to him, but even more so with how unselfish the Spurs are, you have your stars but in your starting five and even bench any player can go off giving the chance and giving how well the floor is spread.

Oh, absolutely. I'm all in favor of fluid ball movement.

Thing is, I think that's achieved quicker when you work the ball inside-out; skipping the rock around off a post double-team and finding the open man... rather than just giving the ball to Klay or Steph and insisting they find a way to score. Sure, they'll lose their man every now and then and find the open man... but more often than not, they'll force a shot through the defense and even though Stephen Curry hits 3-point shots from 28 feet with a hand-in-his-face better than possibly anybody whose ever existed does not mean its a good play that we should repeat every trip down.

I, like you, favor team ball and, in order to achieve that fully, you gotta get back to basics and play from the inside out. Luckily, we have bigs with enough passing skills to do this.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball