Trade Deadline Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:44 pm
1 day. Who you want, who are you willing to give up?

We choked on the Rudy Gay trade, but now more than ever it's obvious that we need a perimeter defender to quarterback our outside players. A guy like MWP can be had for peanuts, but I think a better deal would come from the Nets (who are desperate for a shakeup themselves). We know they covet shooters, we know they wanna drop Blache, we know they have big money and won't mind swallowing a tough contract. My idea:

BROOKLYN acquires:

SG, Klay Thompson
C, Andris Biedrins
PG, Charles Jenkins

GOLDEN STATE acquires:

SF, Gerald Wallace
SG, Marshon Brooks
PF, Andre Blatche

Thompson and Johnson can rock-paper-scissors for who plays the 3, Brooklyn opens up the floor with a big time scoring threat to compliment Williams (a drive-and-kick machine), plus Johnson who gets buckets himself. That's 3 potentially 20 point game studs (4, with Lopez).

The Warriors sure up the perimeter with Crash, move Barnes to 2, and take off running with a solid 5:

PG: Steph Curry / Jarrett Jack
SG: Harrison Barnes / Marshon Brooks
SF: Gerald Wallace / Draymond Green
PF: David Lee / Carl Landry
C: Andrew Bogut / Andre Blatche / Festus Ezeli

And it's mix-and-match all day. If Jack or Brooks are lighting it up, they can start over Barnes. Blatche at center is much easier than Landry or Lee, plus you still have Ezeli for defense, the team addresses its backup SG need... Literally everybody wins. Brooklyn, meanwhile, acquires the hometown boy, Jenkins to compete with the struggling Watson for backup point minutes, plus Biedrins - who gives Evans and Humphries the freedom to go nuts and not worry about foul trouble cause they have another energetic rebounder who can sub in.

Both teams win. Brooklyn gets their shooter, we get our perimeter stopper.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm
At this point, the whole "let's not dick with the chemistry, best start in 38 years" argument has lost its luster. I think a shakeup would help and it's clear - by the amount of 3's and general outside jumpers given up - this team needs a perimeter stopper.

Nobody was wowed by Gay (whose got the Raptors winning 6 of his 8 games there, including a game-winner amongst this now 5-game winning streak where they bested Denver and NY on back-to-back night's). Nobody wanted Iggy, whose glue-guy skills are jetting the Nuggets to a 4-seed standing. I'm sure, again, we'll get a ton of resistance to the idea of trading Thompson or Barnes (unless it's for someone ridiculously out of their league, like Josh Smith or Carmelo), but you guys gotta get real. Something must be done to secure this defense. I'd love to see it happen from the inside, but these past 6 games have been flat out painful. A player the likes of Gerald Wallace, Luol Deng, or Danny Granger would be a HUGE upgrade here.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:45 pm
They're also talking about a straight trade at NBA.com: Gordon for Thompson.

I don't know. Having 2 players who historically have been injury plagued in the backcourt is not very good, but you can't doubt either of Curry or Gordon's talent.. I'm not a particular big fan of Thompson and i will much rather see him getting traded than Barnes; but for Gordon who also has a max contract? I don't know. There is A LOT of potential in a backcourt of Curry/Gordon and Gordon is a good ballhandler and a drive-and-kick player to free Curry as a shooter more than Thompson do when he plays SG. Imo, it could be a really interesting trade, but there are so many downsides, even though a healthy Gordon along ith Curry and Lee is superb.

EDIT: I like the trade you stated, 32. I doubt that Brooklyn will buy in, even though Thompson is a perfect asset for their team. Blatche has played very well the few games i have seen him and if Bogut continues to play like this, well, he can be the player we need at that spot.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm
.. and after reconsidering this, I think we should jump on this trade. Yes, there are some risk, but trades like this is what you need to do when you're a sup-elite team like Golden State. It's bold, but i like it cause of it's upside. Seriosuly, go for it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm
Gordon is a STUD. When he was healthy, he headlined a package for Chris Paul. Is he a max player? I dunno and I don't care; its not my money and he's way better than anyone we'd get in free agency for the Biedrins/RJ money. If he's 100%, this isn't even a discussion. The question becomes how much of Gordon's injury woes are histrionic based on his displeasure with New Orleans matching his offer. Breaking it down:

PROS:

+ Gordon, 100%, is better than Thompson at 100%.
+ Gordon is a slasher and brings a driver's mentality to the team.
+ EG gets to the line. A lot.
+ EG can bomb too, don't forget. Dudes a 40% long ball shooter.
+ Gordon is a closer who hits in the 4th quarter.

CONS:

- Klay is a bargain. 16 points at $2 million is a steal.
- Gordon, Curry, AND Bogut... Yeeeesh...
- Gordon is an undersized 2, so the defensive issues pop back up.
- Klay is younger, cheaper, bigger, and demands the ball less.
- Potentially giving max money to an injury bug like Gordon is a worse investment than going out and getting something more reliable via free agency in 2 years, while keeping Thompson.

Overall, it's a health issue. Klay gives you 80 games. If you can get 75 a year out of Gordon, it's a slam dunk. 65 is a wash. But Gordon at THAT money for 50 games or less? That's a bad deal.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 pm
The reason I like my Nets trade is cause you get Marshon as insurance if Wallace goes down. Getting Gordon and Gordon alone is a much tougher scenario to see working out well.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm
I don't want to think about things today. I like Klay a lot and I don't want to trade him. I understand Gordon has a ceiling that's sky high, but his contract + injury issues make me really not want to do that trade.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm
It definetely is a tougher scenario, but the trade is a trade which not only aim at a playoff spot and a exit against the Clippers in round 1; it aims at the title. With Curry and Gordon healthy, Lee, an evolving Barnes and hopefully a little more healthy Bogut, look out.

I would say that i prefer the Gordon trade over the Wallace trade, but if they choose not to go for Gordon, i would much rather pull the trigger on Wallace, Brooks and Blatche than doing nothing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm
Klay has a ton of potential, but Gordon is a legit all-star caliber player right now if he's healthy (Big IF)

All I want to do is monitor this situation, but it makes me very uncomfortable to think about this and nervous.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm
I would do Gordon for Klay with fillers without even blinking. And I do like Klay.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:I would do Gordon for Klay with fillers without even blinking. And I do like Klay.

According to Ric Bucher, that trade has been shelved and will be revisited in the off-season.

Which I like. Cause it gives us another 30 games to gauge how healthy he is. If he has a comeback kinda end to the year, I'd feel a lot better about this trade. And New Orleans won't lose interest because they just wanna shed his salary and stop making excuses for his injuries and behavior. Gordon has had a tumultuous stint with the Hornet fan base to say the least (I bet they don't take kindly to EG point-blank asking the Hornets not to match his offer sheet).

Other names being floated around the Golden State camp include Dejuan Blair. Yay or nay?

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 pm
32 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:I would do Gordon for Klay with fillers without even blinking. And I do like Klay.

According to Ric Bucher, that trade has been shelved and will be revisited in the off-season.

Which I like. Cause it gives us another 30 games to gauge how healthy he is. If he has a comeback kinda end to the year, I'd feel a lot better about this trade. And New Orleans won't lose interest because they just wanna shed his salary and stop making excuses for his injuries and behavior. Gordon has had a tumultuous stint with the Hornet fan base to say the least (I bet they don't take kindly to EG point-blank asking the Hornets not to match his offer sheet).

Other names being floated around the Golden State camp include Dejuan Blair. Yay or nay?

Good information, I would love an explosive player in the likes of Gordon, or Josh Smith, like you said we missed out on Iggy, and Gay. My only hesitation on getting Gay was his Salary but now I would not hesitate to pull the trigger even if it meant giving up one of Klay or Barnes.

Ive always liked Blair, not sure how he would fit with Landry but, would not mind picking him up for like Jenkins or one of our low tier bench players.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm
Kings really misused Robinson, now they let him go during his rookie season.

The Houston Rockets acquired Sacramento's Thomas Robinson, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, in a deal on Wednesday night, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets sent Patrick Patterson, Toney Douglas and Cole Aldrich to the Kings. In a separate deal, the Rockets sent Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a 2013 second-round draft pick. That deal reunites Morris with his twin brother, Markieff. Thomas Robinson

The Kings give up Robinson, the power forward out of Kansas, Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt, sources said.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm
32 wrote:1 day. Who you want, who are you willing to give up?

We choked on the Rudy Gay trade, but now more than ever it's obvious that we need a perimeter defender to quarterback our outside players. A guy like MWP can be had for peanuts, but I think a better deal would come from the Nets (who are desperate for a shakeup themselves). We know they covet shooters, we know they wanna drop Blache, we know they have big money and won't mind swallowing a tough contract. My idea:

BROOKLYN acquires:

SG, Klay Thompson
C, Andris Biedrins
PG, Charles Jenkins

GOLDEN STATE acquires:

SF, Gerald Wallace
SG, Marshon Brooks
PF, Andre Blatche

Thompson and Johnson can rock-paper-scissors for who plays the 3, Brooklyn opens up the floor with a big time scoring threat to compliment Williams (a drive-and-kick machine), plus Johnson who gets buckets himself. That's 3 potentially 20 point game studs (4, with Lopez).

The Warriors sure up the perimeter with Crash, move Barnes to 2, and take off running with a solid 5:

And it's mix-and-match all day. If Jack or Brooks are lighting it up, they can start over Barnes. Blatche at center is much easier than Landry or Lee, plus you still have Ezeli for defense, the team addresses its backup SG need... Literally everybody wins. Brooklyn, meanwhile, acquires the hometown boy, Jenkins to compete with the struggling Watson for backup point minutes, plus Biedrins - who gives Evans and Humphries the freedom to go nuts and not worry about foul trouble cause they have another energetic rebounder who can sub in.

Trade who?!?!?!
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:1 day. Who you want, who are you willing to give up?

BROOKLYN acquires:

SG, Klay Thompson
C, Andris Biedrins
PG, Charles Jenkins

GOLDEN STATE acquires:

SF, Gerald Wallace
SG, Marshon Brooks
PF, Andre Blatche

Trade who?!?!?!

Klay Thompson. For Crash, Marshon Brooks, a remedy to the Biedrins virus, and Andre Blatche.

And I'd still do that trade, even after tonight's game. We'll beat Phoenix with the three-headed guard machine doubling our front court's shot attempts, but we won't win many other games like that. Make no mistake, the Suns are sorry. And Thompson won't hit over 50% consistently.

I'd like to dish a guard attempting lots of shots for a perimeter stopper. The bigs need more looks and the snarls need more stops. Those are our two biggest issues right now.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball