Grizzlies exploring Trade Options with Gay

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 am
Good points; I think usage naturally decreases when a player arrives on a roster with a surplus of similar players. With all due respect to the Memphis Grizzlies, they have no one in their backcourt that's anywhere close to Curry, Thompson, and Jack is pretty comparable to Conley. Rudy Gay has almost become a backcourt player out of necessity for them. He's easily their best scorer outside of the low block and his handles for a guy 6'8" are pretty close to perfect. But the Warriors won't use him as an initiator for the offense - at least, not to the degree Memphis does - and while he'll still be used for man-on-man isolation, having 2 shooters the likes of Steph/Klay make it a whole lot tougher to bring help. I just see Jackson finding ways to integrate Gay that would be beneficial to the offense. The defense needs no justification.

But this is about to become a moot argument. Word is, Gay's headed East to the Bullets for a package headlined by Bradley Beal. If Wall could ever stay off the DL, that certainly makes the Capital's team playoff bound, IMO.

PG: John Wall
SG: Jordan Crawford
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Emeka Okafor
C: Nene

In the East?? That's too mean, jack.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm
How about we change the direction of this thread and throw the name Josh Smith into the mix (instead of Rudy Gay)

The Hawks apparently suspended him yesterday so ATL might be looking to ship off their cornerstone SF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 pm
PAWNO wrote:How about we change the direction of this thread and throw the name Josh Smith into the mix (instead of Rudy Gay)

The Hawks apparently suspended him yesterday so ATL might be looking to ship off their cornerstone SF.

migya's on board. :wink:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm
I'd much rather have Josh Smith than Rudy Gay. He's exactly what this team needs. A rebounder and defender, but it would be the same deal as with Gay...who would you give up for Smith? He's on the last year of his contract and is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, so do you give up anything of real value? They'll more than likely want at least Barnes or Thompson, who I wouldn't give up for Gay, but would consider for Smith. Smith is a year younger and is more of a team player than Gay.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm
Difference with Smith is he is an expirer.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:06 am
Blackfoot wrote:Difference with Smith is he is an expirer.

Can't look at it that way.

Expirers are Dale Davis which you trade into a Baron Davis.

A Josh Smith is more of a priority then a expirer.

If we trade for him.. I'd like some kind of Gaurentee that he's down with the 510 lifestyle. (415 in 2017)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Smith has all the rebounding and defense we're looking for, definitely a stud.

My only concerns are this: he can't play the 3 (he's tried and it's ugly), he's more inefficient than Monta Ellis, he insists on taking perimeter shots despite having no jumper to speak of, his free throws are awful, and he doesn't add us an isolation option (which I enjoyed about the prospect of acquiring Gay).

So, yeah. Smith coming here doesn't make a whole lotta sense unless we're looking to move David Lee for an established small forward.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm
Josh Smith is a PF now only, has been for a few years actually, so he would not help the team as a SF. Atlanta has always wanted a Center to put Horford at PF and they have performed well on the back of those two this season.

Not that I don't like the way Gay plays, but again, he is at least three million too expensive to what he should be on. I like Barnes alot ans he needs to be given three years here at least, barring any major breakdown in his attitude and/or skills. Saying that, I'd give up Jack, Landry, Rush, Green and either RJ or AB for salary, but Memphis likely wouldn't go for that, but then again, they traded PGasol for total unsurety and got lucky that MGasol turned out great. Barnes and likely Klay would leave once their rookie contracts were up though, just no money left, the biggest reason why Gay is not good to have.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm
booyaa

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... _Gay_Trade

Raptors, Grizzlies, Pistons Agree On Rudy Gay Trade
Jan 30, 2013 5:27 PM EST

A deal for the Memphis Grizzlies to send Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors has been agreed upon, according to sources.

The Raptors will send out Jose Calderon and Ed Davis for Gay and Hamed Haddadi.

The Pistons will acquire Calderon, with the Grizzlies receiving Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye.

The Grizzlies will also receive a second round pick from the Raptors.

Toronto is likely to waive Haddadi following a buyout, reports Ken Berger of CBS Sports.

The Grizzlies will save $5.8 million this season and $26.4 million over three season before factoring in potential luxury tax ramifications.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Grizz will have a harder time holding on to the #4 spot

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm
I think they will hold on to the fourth seed. Prince is a good enough replacement and Ed Davis is a well kept secret who is pretty good and has all-star potential. He will be a great back up for Zach as well as replace Zach when he is older. PER of like 18 already.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:10 pm
Ok. It's happened. Gay has been dealt to Toronto.

And it only took a package involving Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis, and Austin Daye to get him. Let's see how Toronto reacts (currently, they're 11th in the East). That new starting 5 looks like:

PG: Kyle Lowry / John Lucas
SG. DeMar DeRozan / Landry Fields
SF: Rudy Gay / Terrence Ross
PF: Andrea Bargnani / Linus Kleza
C: Amir Johnson / Aaron Gray / Jonas Valanciunus

Let's see how this effects the Craptors. I predict a solid 5-6 seed if Lowry can stay healthy. Great deal by Colangelo.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm
I think we take the 4th seed. When they needed points, Gay was always there to make them. And we've all seen it before, that guy makes some tough fukken shots. It's hard to replace that kind of talent.

I do like Prince's game tho, and Ed Davis is coming into his own. Prince has a nice midrange jump shot, and he plays on the defensive end of the floor very well. Ed Davis plays inside the paint and scores inside there at a very high percentage. With that being said, I don't think they replace the scoring the Gay provides. As it stands, they only score 93ppg, so we'll see if that'll be a problem for them.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm
32 wrote:Ok. It's happened. Gay has been dealt to Toronto.

And it only took a package involving Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis, and Austin Daye to get him. Let's see how Toronto reacts (currently, they're 11th in the East). That new starting 5 looks like:

PG: Kyle Lowry / John Lucas
SG. DeMar DeRozan / Landry Fields
SF: Rudy Gay / Terrence Ross
PF: Andrea Bargnani / Linus Kleza
C: Amir Johnson / Aaron Gray / Jonas Valanciunus

Let's see how this effects the Craptors. I predict a solid 5-6 seed if Lowry can stay healthy. Great deal by Colangelo.

Not with Bargs starting again. They are paying Demar eleven million, Landry six million, gay sixteen million, and Bargs 11 million. I think they may be the eight seed next year with the Hawks and Celtics dropping out next year, but they really crippled themselves for the future and they lost a high upside, potential all star PF in Davis.

I don't like this deal for them.

I like this deal for the Pistons, flip a bad contract for an expiring contract.

I like this deal long term for the Grizzlies, I am pretty high on Ed Davis.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm
Ou forgot to mention that the West gets a little weaker and East gets a little stronger. That's something that needs to start trending, because the amount of competition in the West is ridiculous.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 pm
8th ave wrote:Ou forgot to mention that the West gets a little weaker and East gets a little stronger. That's something that needs to start trending, because the amount of competition in the West is ridiculous.

Yeah, that is a good thing.

I still think the Grizzlies hold on the fourth seed, but barely. Tayshun Prince is a very good fit, plays great defense and hits the three ball better than Gay. Which I think is the motivator here, he spaces the floor better. They might get worse, but I can't image more than a game drop off. I remember them beating the Spurs in the playoffs and taking the Thunder to seven without Gay.

Gay was inefficient offensively this year, but I think that has more to do with the very bad offensive system they run. He was forced to take a lot of bad shots. He should probably be better with the Raptors. And his defense will always be there.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball