Grizzlies exploring Trade Options with Gay

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... gay-trade/

"Golden State Warriors: They’ve long coveted Gay, according to several sources, but they lack a single appealing and tradeable large salary in order to make a deal work. They’re in almost the identical cap situation as Boston — a bit over the tax line, and prohibited from going over the $74.3 million payroll mark after using most of the mid-level exception on Carl Landry. "

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/golden_state_warriors

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:42 pm
Gay had intrigued me last couple of years, but the Griz overpaid for him. The warriors playing well now, with Barnes and in the future Rush coming from the bench, also forgot Green there is no need for Gay.

I am guessing the reason for wanting to trade Gay is due to that contract.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Gay had intrigued me last couple of years, but the Griz overpaid for him. The warriors playing well now, with Barnes and in the future Rush coming from the bench, also forgot Green there is no need for Gay.

I am guessing the reason for wanting to trade Gay is due to that contract.

John Hollinger has always been highly critical of Rudy Gay and since he was hired it makes sense that this would be pushed and the contract justifies him wanting to move him. Despite Gay being an elite wing defender, he shoots too much for someone with a low TS percentage.

But, given the contract and where we are in the cap, I am not feeling Rudy right now. I agree with you.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 am
No need for Gay now.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm
You can never just veto a talent like Gay's.

If they want Harrison Barnes and are willing to take Jefferson's contract, I'd talk turkey with Memphis. No doubt Barnes is special, but he's not necessarily Gay (reference my Iggy-for-Klay verbatim from this past summer). While Barnes may develop into a Paul Pierce, at this point he's just as likely to be a Marvin Williams. Rudy Gay is a premiere wing player; a top 7 small forward no doubt. And he does everything this team wants: he rebounds, he defends, he hustles, he can guard multiple positions, and he has prototypical size.

But to make salaries work (not to mention give Memphis the incentive to pull the trigger), you need another $4 million. That's either Carl Landry or Brandon Rush (I'm thinking the Grizzlies would prefer Rush). You'd also need to promise them the 2014 first rounder and most likely send over about $250,000 in cash. The deal would look like this:

GSW receives: Rudy Gay, SF ($16.5 million)
MEM receieves: Harrison Barnes, SF ($2.8 million), Brandon Rush, SF ($4 million), Richard Jefferson, SF ($10.2 million), 2014 First Round Pick, and cash considerations

I'm sorry, but I'd push the button on that REAL fast. The Grizz get an A-prospect on the cheap, a defender/shooter in Jefferson (for $6 mil less than Gay), and a premiere 6th man who will cost peasant wages next year, plus a boatload of cash for the owners, and an additional first rounder in the draft after next.

The Dubs simply get an awe-inspiring starting 5. For real:

PG: Steph Curry / Jarrett Jack / Charles Jenkins
SG: Klay Thompson / Kent Bazemore
SF: Rudy Gay / Draymond Green
PF: David Lee / Carl Landry
C: Andrew Bogut / Festus Ezeli / Andris Biedrins

Anyone NOT on board with that is lying. Let's not revisit this whole "but Barnes is such a stud prospect who COULD be an all-star" thing. Gay is already there. We had that debate this summer with Klay for Iggy and obviously Denver is looking like a machine with Iguodala doing his typical glue-guy thing. Rudy Gay could be that for us.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 pm
The problem I have with Gay is his high usage rate and low efficiency marks. He is an elite defender, but he can easily become a chucker.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm
Blackfoot wrote:The problem I have with Gay is his high usage rate and low efficiency marks. He is an elite defender, but he can easily become a chucker.

Elite defender? really?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:00 pm
Give me some numbers.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:28 pm
http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXgXXgayru01.html&t=4

Gay's DRtG this season is at 99.00. That's phenomenal (99.00 is KG's defensive rating on his career) and even though Gay's at a 108.0 on his career, the past 3 seasons he's been at 105.00, 102.00, and 99.00 (improving steadily over the course of his career). To compare, Rajon Rondo is a 101.01 on his career. Dwight Howard is a 98.19. Duncan leads all active players with a 95.38 (truly remarkable).

Rudy Gay wasn't a great defender out of the box, but he's become one of the league's absolute best at locking guy's up. Suffuce to say, we have no one defensively that measures up to him besides Bogut (104.00 on his career, with a 98.00 rating the year he led the NBA in blocks).
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 pm
32 wrote:http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXgXXgayru01.html&t=4

Gay's DRtG this season is at 99.00. That's phenomenal (99.00 is KG's defensive rating on his career) and even though Gay's at a 108.0 on his career, the past 3 seasons he's been at 105.00, 102.00, and 99.00 (improving steadily over the course of his career). To compare, Rajon Rondo is a 101.01 on his career. Dwight Howard is a 98.19. Duncan leads all active players with a 95.38 (truly remarkable).

Rudy Gay wasn't a great defender out of the box, but he's become one of the league's absolute best at locking guy's up. Suffuce to say, we have no one defensively that measures up to him besides Bogut (104.00 on his career, with a 98.00 rating the year he led the NBA in blocks).

SOLD. Andris, Barnes, and Richard Jefferson for Gay.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 pm
Gay simply is way to much salary and overpaid in my opinion. You see that the Grizz beat the Spurs in the 1st round two seasons ago without him and yet lost in the 1st round last season with him and without ZRand. Gay will never be more than he is now and Barnes needs to be given at least three seasons to show how good he is, but already I see some PointFoward traits in him, as well as very good defender in the making.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 am
I love Barnes and I think he'll develop into an Allstar and I agree with Migs that Gay is overpaid but I have to admit that I'd probably accept the deal mentioned by 32. I think the deal works well for both teams.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 am
Problem then is, we can't afford a bench and probablt to resign Bogut for what he is making now. Gay is just too much salary and the team is winning on the back of great bench play by Jack and Landry, as well as rookie Green. Can kiss them goodbye with another very high salary player.

I say let Barnes show what he can do. Look to trade either or both RJ and AB this offseason or if have to, let them play out there contracts and then have just over twenty million to use again. The team has options with time right now and it's a luxury.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am
I dunno, migs. Lacob HAS been quoted saying money is no obstacle and that they'll pay into the luxury tax to build a winner... I think guys like Landry and Jack will be rewarded with new deals (and there's NO way they'd let Bogut walk). Plus, it's not as though this is a deal just for the sake of getting another high valued asset: Gay addresses an extremely real set of issues... The most glaring being our complete susceptibility to swingman isolation. Our losses are marked with huge games from Kobe Bryant, Marcus Thornton, JJ Reddick, Danillo Galinari, and Kevin Durant. Wouldn't it be nice to have an elite wing defender to slow these guys down?

I understand Blackfoot's concerns about Gay's high usage rate, but in Oakland he'd have the ball in his hands far less and his talents as a finisher will shine as he's relegated to a 3rd or 4th role. David Lee is a wizard finding men outta the post and Stephen Curry draws perimeter double teams as hard as anyone in the game. Gay could benefit highly from this team. In a fully healthy scenario, our front court has just as much vision and Gasol/ZBo, our PG is far better than Conely, we have an additional shooter to space the floor at the two-guard, and our bench is riddled with offensive options. Gay would fit in famously.

Plus... We still have no one making $20 million a year. It's not like we have a Kobe or a KG or a Dirk to suck up half our payroll; Lee is at $13, Bogut's at $13, Curry will be $11, AB & RJ will expire to get us another $21 million... We're not hard up for money.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm
Just read on one forum, that a guy is suggesting a deal that would send Beans and Jefferson to Boston, and Jeff Green to GS, along with a filler. Just curious, would you guys go for that?
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball