The Real Season Test Begins in January.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 am
Location: SOCAL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm
Our Warriors are clearly, CLEARLY better than they have been in years and we have all been enjoying the ride. However, the Dubs have been feasting on Eastern Conference teams to the tune of 12-2, thus making them a respectable, but not spectacular 8-8 in the West. It appears the next two months is filled with a majority of matchups vs. teams expected to make the playoffs from the West, some of the best teams in the East, and sprinkled with a few last place teams.

Some thing I would like to see cleaned up in order to sustain the team's run are:

1) Avoiding sloppy 1st qtr. turnovers.
2) Propensity to lose intensity with double digit leads.
3) Basketball IQ especially in late game situations (IE Barnes drive to basket after steal vs. Lakers)
4) Losses to sub .500 teams (2 losess to SAC, 2 Losses to ORL, 2 Losses to Lakers, though Laker are supremely talent but flawed)
5) Getting beat by back door passes.
6) Coach Jaskson's willingness to call time out when other team making a run to stop their momentum. (He seems to wait until lead entirely evaporated instead calling a TO when, say, a 19 pt lead becomes a 9 pt lead.

I realize this is nitpicking to a certain extent but I believe-- if the majority of the issues I perceive this team to have are cleaned up-- the dubs will have a legitimate shot to win a round or two in the playoffs.

I also believe some of these issues are directly related to the high amount of youth on the team.
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 pm
I disagree with number six. I know he usually has a lot of time outs, but I do not think it is a problem. We have only blown two leads late in a game twice this season. One versus the Lakers and the other verse the Nuggets. We are actually really good at keeping our leads.

All Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:43 am
Good catch, it appears this will be the real test for the warriors this coming month.

Clippers, Thunder, Heat, Spurs, oh wee, we are really going to see how this team plays, against top competition.

Before the season started there was alot of optimism, but that included having Bogut and Rush in the line-up, even without them they have been playing extremely well. What would be nice is if Bogut was ready to play during this stretch of games, if not there is no need to rush it, but he would answer alot of issues at the center position, not saying that Festus, and Beans have not filled in well but Bogut is obviously on another level.

Teams will also be gunning for us, taking us alot more serious, this is a psychological affect which will make team more focused, trust me the Heat did not forget the loss we handed them in Miami.

Losing to teams like Lakers, Magic, Kings, the reason for the losses is because we got killed inside/out. Teams with good three point shooters, and an inside game get us no matter how mediocore they seem.

Example, first game against the Magic, Glen Davis had 24 points, Vucevic had 15 boards, JJ Reddick was 4-6 from 3's, and Affalo netted 24 points.

Second game against the Magic, Vucevic with 17 rebounds, Reddick shoots 4-6, a rookie PF in Nicholson 15 points in 25 minutes while netting 4 blocks.

First game against Sac Cousins gets 15 rebounds and 23 points, and their quick guards went 17-33. Second game against Sac they shoot 11-19 from threes, Thompson who is a nobody gets 15 boards.

We have also lost twice to Denver, in which we got out-rebounded, Faried in one of those games gets 17 rebounds.

The Lakers, they just seem to have our number.

So what type of conclusion do I draw, warriors will have issues playing against certain teams with size until Bogut gets back. I don't think it is a coincidence that we allowed teams to shoot well from 3's and we end up losing. It was a pattern that needs to be fixed if, perimeter defense against good 3 point shooting teams should not be over looked.

Also giving up huge rebounding games to certain players should be worked on, players getting 17, 15, rebounding games should not be the case, they need to limit those type of games.

Bogut again will help solve the rebounding issues in these type of losses, also Mark Jackson needs to key in on perimeter defense, its not a coincidence we lost twice to teams because they killed us on threes.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 am
Location: SOCAL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm
Still having major issues protecting leads and playing smart basketball down the stretch.
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 pm
loyaltyisacurse wrote:Still having major issues protecting leads and playing smart basketball down the stretch.


15-2 after leading late in the game. Pretty tired of hearing this myth because it is typically because fans are annoyed when we let them go on a little run, but that basically happens to every team. Warriors do not have issues protecting late leads and it is indeed the opposite.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 am
Location: SOCAL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
loyaltyisacurse wrote:Still having major issues protecting leads and playing smart basketball down the stretch.


15-2 after leading late in the game. Pretty tired of hearing this myth because it is typically because fans are annoyed when we let them go on a little run, but that basically happens to every team. Warriors do not have issues protecting late leads and it is indeed the opposite.
holding on to win will only fly in the regular season and the team will need the killer instinct to make an impact come playoff time.
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm
loyaltyisacurse wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
loyaltyisacurse wrote:Still having major issues protecting leads and playing smart basketball down the stretch.


15-2 after leading late in the game. Pretty tired of hearing this myth because it is typically because fans are annoyed when we let them go on a little run, but that basically happens to every team. Warriors do not have issues protecting late leads and it is indeed the opposite.
holding on to win will only fly in the regular season and the team will need the killer instinct to make an impact come playoff time.


As much as I disagree with this type of thinking, it is still wrong.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW1.HTM#clutch

Curry's clutch stats are off the hook.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW11.HTM#clutch

Lee's clutch stats are even better.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW2.HTM#clutch

Yep, Jack is also super clutch.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW5.HTM#clutch



If 15-2 is not the "killer instinct" because we as fans feel uncomfortable during the game at some junctures than I don't know what is the killer instinct.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 am
+1, BF
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: lithuania, gargzdai
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:40 am
Most interesting part of the season for me as to seeing what this team sans bogut and rush will be all about. No gimmies there for, what, 12-14 games. Good drill.
It will show whether we have a chance at top 5 (maximum 4 fighting with memphis and nuggets) seed, or are destined to fight for 6-8 ones with houston, utah and porland - I assume dallas or lakers won't catch up and minny without love and ailing rubio should fall behing quite some.
As i said, there will be blood. And so it is.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:52 pm
So the trend continues, we have now lost twice to the Kings, to Denver, to the Lakers and the Griz. Bogut needs to hurry up quick and come back.

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 pm
I really want to beat the Nuggets on the road, but I just don't see it. Nuggets are about to splurge soon. They are a great team who has had to deal with the hardest schedule and the most road games. I expect Denver to finish with at least the fifth seed maybe even fourth, but I don't think so.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I really want to beat the Nuggets on the road, but I just don't see it. Nuggets are about to splurge soon. They are a great team who has had to deal with the hardest schedule and the most road games. I expect Denver to finish with at least the fifth seed maybe even fourth, but I don't think so.


Denver is real good at home, but they have been ordinary this season so far. They need to replace Karl who is past it and needs to retire. Think the team could actually win this game in Denver, but wouldn't bet money on it.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 pm
migya wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I really want to beat the Nuggets on the road, but I just don't see it. Nuggets are about to splurge soon. They are a great team who has had to deal with the hardest schedule and the most road games. I expect Denver to finish with at least the fifth seed maybe even fourth, but I don't think so.


Denver is real good at home, but they have been ordinary this season so far. They need to replace Karl who is past it and needs to retire. Think the team could actually win this game in Denver, but wouldn't bet money on it.


Their record appears ordinary, but they aren't.

Fifth in the SRS.

Road Games: 23
Home Games: 15

SOS: 523%

We have a stretch from March to April where we only have like five road games due to Feb and January being tough as ****. I have not looked at Denver's schedule, but I imagine there is a similar stretch like that for the Nuggets and I fully expect them to blow up during whenever that stretch comes.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm
They are currently in that stretch where they have a bunch of home games. They will be in a home stretch until early february.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm
So the trend continues, lost three times to Denver now, twice to orlando, etc, etc.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest