Rookie appreciation post...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 am
Ouuuuu weeeeee... I just needed to make this thread.

So Barnes has been a little bit of a revelation the past 3 games, but the other 2 rookies have been big for us too. I'll go into more detail tomorrow morning. Just wanted to express my excitement about our rookies and how, at the very least, we have 2 very effective rotational players in Green and Ezeli. Hell I think Ezeli could be a full time starter in the near future. And dare I say that might have a potential all-star in Barnes? Lol. Nah, not yet, but youngblood is ballin right now.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:09 am
Barnes is doing well now and I was big on him before the draft. What a coup he was and what a difference he makes for the team. The SF spot is covered well.

Ezeli should be getting more court time and he is perfoming well with the court time he does get. He is playing defense like Bogut instructed him to I figure and for a rookie that is great to see.

Drayond Green is doing real well with his opportunity and good on him, the team needs it as well with RJ out now as well.

Great draft it is looking for sure.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 am
I'm really stoked on these three guys (Barnes, Ezeli, and Green)!

I love Barnes' poise on the court. He doesn't feel any pressure and plays like a veteran. I love his attack first, take a jumper second attitude. He's not scared of anyone when he drives the lane. He goes right at the opposing team's biggest player and somehow squeezes the ball into the hoop. Barnes has a bright future here.

Ezeli's hustle on the glass and loose balls is great to see. He also has a little offensive game brewing down low too. Ezeli can easily be a starting center in this league in a few years.

Green can on-ball defend with the best! He somehow manages to get a hand on the ball on defense whenever he's in. He's got quick feet for his size and his help-defense is very good. There's some offense there too.

All three of our rookies barely ever make rookies mistakes. Of course there's always a few here and there, but from most rookies I've seen on the Warriors, these three are the most composed and ready for the NBA.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 am
I was thrilled with the draft. I was hoping that we would get a chance to pick Harrison since the beginning, and he was my first choice, so, it was normal that I was stoked when Cleveland went and picked Waiters. Then, I thought it would be too good to be true if the Warriors picked Ezeli as well...but they did. And I was like "how can it be that the FO is actually doing what I thought was the sane thing to do?". Basically, it is too weird for our FO to make good choice that I started thinking that I misjudged players probably, lol.

And then, we picked Draymond. I really didn't have the chance to watch the guy, but from what I read, it seemed that he was a bit of a steal at that position. If he plazs like this, a good contributor, and good all-around player, he will be a great addition to this squad as well.

I was on Harrison Barnes' wagon since he was at UNC.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am
So far so good. 6-5. Better coaching would of had us at 8-3 imo.... Excited bout these baby dubz
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm
I've been high on all 3 rookies since day 1. Even I didn't see Barnes uncorking like this so fiercely, but damn... I think you guys can sense my excitement based on my draft-day report card:

32 on June 29, 2012 wrote:Pick 7 - Harrison Barnes, SF
Initial grade: B+

Barnes was precisely what Warriors fans were hoping would come out of this draft: a starting caliber forward. Sure, the glitzy, immediately gratifying choice for many would have been to trade the pick for a defensive-minded 3, but Barnes is no courtesy-clapping consolation prize: the man is big, strong, and incredibly agile. And for a stacked dude with so much beef on him, he sure knows how to fill it up. Fans of Jason Richardson will love Harrison Barnes; the guy rebounds, he shoots, and he finishes. He's another gun to pair with our already dangerous starting 5 and with HB in tow, I don't know how the Warriors miss the playoffs next year.

Pick 30: Festus Ezeli, C/PF
Initial grade: C+

The main plug for our backup big situation, Ezeli is ready to contribute now with solid shot-blocking instincts and a frame already carrying 264 pounds. Not the rebounder that either Lee or Bogut are, Ezeli can spell either for small periods of time when the Warriors are looking to slow the game down and get a few stops. If nothing else, it's as if we reacquired Epke Udoh... But bigger. Andris Biedrins is officially Mark Jackson's cleaning lady now in the locker room.

Pick 35: Draymond Green, PF/SF
Initial grade: A-

A wildcard pick, but a DAMN good one if his strength can hold up at an NBA level. Green is a mold of player that one seldom sees in the NBA anymore; a Rodney Rogers, an Anthony Mason; the big-bodied 3/4 who has so much fundamental skill, he can step in and run the point for a few possessions a game. He rebounds, he has a midrange jumper best suited for catch-and-shoot pops, and he has a tremendous basketball brain. The biggest reach in the Warriors draft, but if all goes well, Green is an NBA role player waiting to happen who should enjoy a solid 10 year career.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 pm
My expectations were high for Barnes, he started slow, but man has he come around. He was highly touted coming out of high school. I am sure he was getting looks as a middle schooler, and it continued throughout. The hype died down while at UNC, because expectations were just too high, plus he didn't show up during tournament time when the games counted.

This could easily be Barnes team, he has the size and the skill. I was worried earlier in the season, thought he was too passive during games, but things are different now, he has become more assertive.

Barnes can be our go to guy.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am
I'm hearing you 8th. Regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not, we've all got to be happy with the rookies we got in this years draft. I'm loving Barnes and his ability to drive to the basket. Considering that this was supposed to be his weakest attribute, he seems to be able to attack the basket whenever he wants.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am
Rookie Draymond Green played about 15 minutes in the Pacers game, but he played flat out amazing defense whenever he was in. I can't wait to see how he does against elite players like Bryant, Durant (didn't watch OKC game), and James. I'd love to have him become our version of Tony Allen off the bench. Dude knows how to play ball. The only thing I want him to do is what Fitzgerald mentioned in the game - not to fall in love with that 3 point line. He has a big body and he needs to keep it inside.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 am
Draymong Green has had good skills for a few years now. He has the body and if he keeps the desire, he could even be a 6th man. Absolute delight to have him perform well and he allows for diversity with lineups, as he does have an outside shot as well as an inside game. RJ is expendable and maybe Rush in the future will be too, if he wants too much money.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 pm
Draymond Green, man. Draymond Green.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:45 pm
Dooooooooooooode....

If Draymond Green didn't have knee-thighs that buckle so easily... would he be starting over Barnes? Cause, the last couple games, he's been closing out games with HB on the bench. And you know what Jackson says about who starts compared to who finishes...

Draymond friggin Green, though. Dude hustles, he D'S UP, he rebounds, he boxes out, he pushes fools and fouls hard and does everything you want your bench guys to do. If he could pop that little perimeter J a little more and maybe hire Kareem to stretch those quads out a little bit, this dude could be the starter. No joke.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm
I don't think he will ever be more than a role player in the league. He is playing elite defense and really helping out on the boards, but his offensive game has looked limited in his playing time and his jumpshot is pretty ugly looking.

His offense will improve I think, but he's a guy that I think will be an effective role player and used to play specific match ups.

On a side note, I wish Barnes was less passive with the ball. Because 32 is right, Draymond Green is better right now than Barnes. So Draymond should be getting more minutes and Barnes less minutes.

Despite them both being rookies and Green being better, I think Green's ceiling is a good role player.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 am
Either way, both are looking like keepers for a while. Green has been an absolute plus in that not much was expected from our 2nd rounder.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm
One thing you need to look at when comparing Barnes and Green is that Barnes is better suited for the perimeter, and Green is better suited for the paint.
You can see that Green has actually been playing a lot at PF with either Lee or Landry at C. Jackson is playing a lot of small ball, at the end of games with Curry, Jack and Tompson on the floor, and he puts in Green with Lee or Landry. It works well becuase Green can bang inside, but also has a decent shot from just inside the arc.

However, he is not nearly as affective when he is playing the 3 and he is further away from the hoop. I really see him as a undersized 4 who can guard some of the bigger and slower 3's when needed. Where Barnes is a 3, and should be your stating 3 when you have a real C and PF on the court. It will be interesing to see what happens to Green's mins when Bogut gets back.

I am assuming Lee and Bogut will start, Ezeli will still get 10 -15 mins, and then there will be streatches where Lee and Landry are on the floor togheter. Leaving less mins available for Green at the 4. Barnes will probably start at the 3, and Klay will get some of those mins at the 3 when they play curry at the 2 and Jack at PG.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball