Any chance Biedrins could ever be effective again?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 am
:wink: Some things never change, uptempo.

Our division between Mullin's effectiveness as a GM remains one of them. Entertaining as it is, I don't think Biedrins learned to be lazy from Adonal Foyle. I think his aggression, in all facets of the game, evaporated. When his free-throw shooting became a league-wide joke, he stopped taking it inside on offense (which was the only place he could score). After a while, the offensive glass went too, because he didn't want to chance getting sent to the line on a hack. And then his whole game just became passive. I don't know if it's laziness so much as fear. And, to his credit, it seems like what he's most afraid of is failing. Stings of cruel irony that his fear of failure is tanking his career like this.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:14 pm
32 wrote::wink: Some things never change, uptempo.

Our division between Mullin's effectiveness as a GM remains one of them. Entertaining as it is, I don't think Biedrins learned to be lazy from Adonal Foyle. I think his aggression, in all facets of the game, evaporated. When his free-throw shooting became a league-wide joke, he stopped taking it inside on offense (which was the only place he could score). After a while, the offensive glass went too, because he didn't want to chance getting sent to the line on a hack. And then his whole game just became passive. I don't know if it's laziness so much as fear. And, to his credit, it seems like what he's most afraid of is failing. Stings of cruel irony that his fear of failure is tanking his career like this.

Biedrens was effective when he had Baron Davis running the offense and giving him, Biedrens, perfect passes off of the pick-and-roll. The poor free throw shooting is fixable, but only if Biedrens applies himself to do it. Sadly, he seems to have lost his motivation for any improvement.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote::wink: Some things never change, uptempo.

Biedrens was effective when he had Baron Davis running the offense and giving him, Biedrens, perfect passes off of the pick-and-roll. The poor free throw shooting is fixable, but only if Biedrens applies himself to do it. Sadly, he seems to have lost his motivation for any improvement.

His best year was the year after Davis left.

AB:
07-08 GSW 76 59 27.3 0.626 0.000 0.620 3.4 6.4 9.8 1.0 0.7 1.2 1.12 3.45 10.5
08-09 GSW 62 58 30.0 0.578 0.000 0.551 3.6 7.6 11.2 2.0 1.0 1.6 1.77 3.81 11.9 <---------12ppg, 11RPG
09-10 GSW 33 29 23.1 0.591 0.000 0.160 1.9 5.9 7.8 1.7 0.6 1.3 0.97 3.55 5.0

BD:
07-08 GSW 82 82 39.0 0.426 0.330 0.750 1.2 3.5 4.7 7.6 2.3 0.5 2.83 3.01 21.8
08-09 LAC 65 60 34.6 0.370 0.302 0.757 0.7 3.0 3.7 7.7 1.7 0.5 2.97 2.97 14.9 <----------- YEar that BD went to LAC

Heck, you could argue that Baron's numbers indicate that BD needed Andris more then Andris needed BD....
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm
I'm not sure if it was us, Hoops Fan, or if I debated this point with another poster, but I've argued the position that Biedrins' career-high in several categories the year after Baron left had more to do with playing heavy minutes on a depleted roster than anything he himself was responsible for. Yes, he averaged more rebounds, but the Warriors had lost 3 of their top 5 rebounders and while Biedrins scored more (taking more shots), his FG and FT percentages fell by a combined 10%. He also averaged a career-high in fouls (which is saying something) and upped his giveaways by almost a full turnover per game (also a career-high).

Baron Davis was undoubtably a catalyst to this Warriors offense and specifically to bigs like Andris Biedrins.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm
32 wrote:I'm not sure if it was us, Hoops Fan, or if I debated this point with another poster, but I've argued the position that Biedrins' career-high in several categories the year after Baron left had more to do with playing heavy minutes on a depleted roster than anything he himself was responsible for. Yes, he averaged more rebounds, but the Warriors had lost 3 of their top 5 rebounders and while Biedrins scored more (taking more shots), his FG and FT percentages fell by a combined 10%. He also averaged a career-high in fouls (which is saying something) and upped his giveaways by almost a full turnover per game (also a career-high).

Baron Davis was undoubtably a catalyst to this Warriors offense and specifically to bigs like Andris Biedrins.

Great analysis. You are 100% correct.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 pm
Biedrins looking better out there. I don't think it's exactly mind-shattering to expect that he regain enough form to be a serviceable backup. Spot minutes to rebound, play D, provide a spark, etc.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm
I'd be satisfied if AB got 20mins a game, at least while Bogut, and got like 6rebs and played proper defense. He wouldn't be earning his money, but he'd have value, value for a trade.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 am
well, Biedrins has been hustling as good as we can hope for, defensively. But what's so embarrassing about him offensively, is that he has gotten much worse even percentage wise because he will do whatever he can not to get fouled. I don't see why he is so scared, it's not like people expect him to be a good free throw shooter anyways.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 am
The FO should be shopping AB every week, see what they get. I'm not against using AB during games, emphasising rebounding and defensive rotation with him.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:17 pm
I refuse to partake in this Mickey Mouse sh*t that Bob and Jim are instigating, where we clap for Andris because he's averaging 2 and a half rebounds a game off the bench. Gimmie a break.

9 million dollars a year and we have to pacify this guy with a standing ovation anytime he sinks a free throw. I'm not gonna get excited because the season we've finally disregarded him is the season he decided to reinstate a fraction of his rebounding zest. He's still garbage and I hope they're doing exactly what migya describes: shopping him to every potential sucker - er, suitor - in hopes of making better use of his roster spot.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball