Who is considered the face of the Warriors?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Festus Ezeli, he is the easy choice

For "name of the team" yes he is :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am
Curry's the face but our hopes lie in Boguts hands. We only go as far as he takes us.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:56 pm
That's pretty damn true. Without Bogut, our defense reverts back to where it was last year. Yikes.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 pm
Ant to me that's a huge concern. I said a few weeks ago that one guy playing the defense is not enough. Bogut showed when on the Bucks that he makes a huge difference defensively, something like they were bottom 10 defensively without him and top 5 with him playing. That likely will happen here, but you really need at least two or three guys on the court at one time playing pretty good defense at least. I think with a team defense concept the team will not have any weak links, so it is up to the coaching staff to instill a very good team defensive setup and then the players believing and following it.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 am
With all those sexual scandals around the team? The late John Holmes.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:43 am
migya wrote:Ant to me that's a huge concern. I said a few weeks ago that one guy playing the defense is not enough. Bogut showed when on the Bucks that he makes a huge difference defensively, something like they were bottom 10 defensively without him and top 5 with him playing. That likely will happen here, but you really need at least two or three guys on the court at one time playing pretty good defense at least. I think with a team defense concept the team will not have any weak links, so it is up to the coaching staff to instill a very good team defensive setup and then the players believing and following it.

Which is why I loved our draft so much.

Festus Ezeli can play defense. Draymond Green can play defense. And, hell, even Harrison Bryce Jordan Barnes can play some d when we need him to. Bogut's got help; be it McGuire or one of the youngsters.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:03 pm
I say without a doubt it is Curry, injury or not, he has the most longevity on the team (Beans don't count). There was always that spotlight he had to share with Monta, a spotlight and management of play which I believe was mismanaged since day one. So now it is all about Curry, although I believe there won't be more pressure from a teams perspective since the team is way more balance, the pressure will be on Curry himself, a self evaluation of himself, that injury of his, and how he comes out to perform as well as staying healthy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Today, Mark Spears endorsed our bottom 3 as a new coming of Run TMC.

And, intriguing enough, with all due respect to Klay Thonpson and Stephen Curry, Spears said that Harrison Barnes posses the prowess to be the best member of that trio. I gotta say, a lot of people have said they believe Barnes will be a better pro than a collegiate athlete. He was a 17 PPG guy in college.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm
Almost forgot about Barnes, he is NBA ready and fits the team well, in a couple years he could be the face of the franchise. We actually have 5 potential future all-stars.

Barnes has the best all around game of the 3, will play better defense. What I like about all three is the fact they have the right intangible and total professionals.

With Barnes its how he will develop his game at the NBA level, and I think he will blend nicely.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:34 am
I don't see quite RunTMC type play right now from those three, but I do see all three being in the top half of players at their positions.

Bogut and Lee make this team potentially much better than the RunTMC teams, as the bigs back then were close to nonexistant.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:47 pm
At the moment, there is no face of the franchise. Mark Jackson, sadly, is probably it. Not that I don't like Jackson, it's just we don't have any stars. Steph was supposed to be the guy, but unfortunately, his ankles have shattered that image. Hopefully he can restore it this season. I have very high hopes with he and Bogut.

With that being said, there's been reports that as of right now, the Warriors do not plan on extending Curry's contract after this year. I think he's going to not only go the full year healthy, but he's going to have to improve his ability to penetrate and play point in order for them to extend him.. I hope he gets it done.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:46 pm
You do have a point there, Warriorsallday..however I think Lee is more of the face of the franchise than Jackson..I guess if you want to think the player/coach that has received the most negative attention you could go with Jackson..but Lee is/was definitely the play maker last season in place of Curry and after Monta left. I hope he can start guarding his own position and play the offense he plays and he's going to be a lot better than last season even.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm
:dontknow: For what it's worth, I think the team WANTS David Lee to be the face of the team.

And, sure, I'd say he's the face of this team most often seen off the court. But on the floor, even though I believe Lee is this team's best current player and means more to this team than any other player next year (yes, even Bogut), Stephen Curry is the guy every other market wants. His game if different from the vast majority of players and it's pretty to watch a guy so fundamentally dominant with such precision every time he releases the ball, be it a pass or a shot. Even with his injury history, show me a team that wouldn't surrender a decent piece to take a flyer on Curry becoming something special. The team is abysmal without a big man; if either of our two fall, we're much worse off than having to replace Curry's minutes at a guard spot. But I just think players like Curry, Nash, Paul... They're a different kind of good. And teams notice.

Guys who are dangerous with or without the ball, both as a shooter or a driver, who sees everything going on... That's the face of the franchise. Bogut and Lee are both excellent pieces; they'll get us past the regular season. Curry is what will make this team go in the playoffs. He's the best gun on this team and I think other teams take the most notice on him.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:50 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:You do have a point there, Warriorsallday..however I think Lee is more of the face of the franchise than Jackson..I guess if you want to think the player/coach that has received the most negative attention you could go with Jackson..but Lee is/was definitely the play maker last season in place of Curry and after Monta left. I hope he can start guarding his own position and play the offense he plays and he's going to be a lot better than last season even.

Lee certainly is one of the, if not THE best player on the team. He's also the most hard-working while on the court it seems. The guy gives it 110% every night, and welcomes overloaded minutes with open arms. With that being said, when asking who is the 'face of the franchise', I'm not so sure he is it.

To me, the face of the franchise is a player that draws a crowd. A player who sells out arenas almost single-handedly. When I think of David Lee, he does all the dirty work. While he is a double-double machine, he does it quietly and isn't really flashy, thus, he doesn't really have that 'IT' factor it takes to be a star of face of the franchise.

i think Curry is the closest thing we have to a star or Face of the Franchise. Unfortunately though, his injuries have stunted his potential. That's just my opinion, though. I hope it all comes together for Curry this year. Aside from learning to take better care of his body, I think he REALLY needs to learn how to get to the hoop more often. That is something he lacks compared to the great PGs in the league. When you think of Nash, Paul, etc., they're constantly roaming around the rim and either create a shot, or they dish it off to somebody nicely for an assist. Curry sometimes struggles to get in the vicinity of the rim.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm
Warriorsallday wrote:
Knightofoceans wrote:You do have a point there, Warriorsallday..however I think Lee is more of the face of the franchise than Jackson..I guess if you want to think the player/coach that has received the most negative attention you could go with Jackson..but Lee is/was definitely the play maker last season in place of Curry and after Monta left. I hope he can start guarding his own position and play the offense he plays and he's going to be a lot better than last season even.

Lee certainly is one of the, if not THE best player on the team. He's also the most hard-working while on the court it seems. The guy gives it 110% every night, and welcomes overloaded minutes with open arms. With that being said, when asking who is the 'face of the franchise', I'm not so sure he is it.

To me, the face of the franchise is a player that draws a crowd. A player who sells out arenas almost single-handedly. When I think of David Lee, he does all the dirty work. While he is a double-double machine, he does it quietly and isn't really flashy, thus, he doesn't really have that 'IT' factor it takes to be a star of face of the franchise.

i think Curry is the closest thing we have to a star or Face of the Franchise. Unfortunately though, his injuries have stunted his potential. That's just my opinion, though. I hope it all comes together for Curry this year. Aside from learning to take better care of his body, I think he REALLY needs to learn how to get to the hoop more often. That is something he lacks compared to the great PGs in the league. When you think of Nash, Paul, etc., they're constantly roaming around the rim and either create a shot, or they dish it off to somebody nicely for an assist. Curry sometimes struggles to get in the vicinity of the rim.

Really? I think Curry has the best floating tear-drop in the game, and he uses it exclusively inside the paint. He also made highlight reels for months when he hit Birdman with his show-me fake.

As a 90% free-throw shooter, sure you'd love to have him get more than 2.6 FTA a night (on his career), but as far as not getting into the paint like Paul or Nash, I just think thats a byproduct of him being a natural shooter. Paul and Nash definitely look to pass more than Curry, as is reflected in their APG lines, but Curry is easily the best shooter in the mix... and considering the other 2 names in the equation, that's a big statement. But that doesn't mean Curry can't get into the lane or set his teammates up like the other two.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball