Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Looks like AK-47 is the new flavor on the Warriors' offseason wishlist...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golden-sta ... --nba.html

Austin Chang wrote:A versatile and defensive-minded 6-foot-9 forward, Kirilenko last played for the Jazz during the 2010-11 season. During the 2011 NBA lockout, he became one of the few big-name NBA players to leave the league and opted to sign a three-year deal with CSKA Moscow. During his 10-year NBA career, Kirilenko averaged 12.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, and 1.4 steals a game.

In the Warriors' search for a backup forward, Kirilenko would definitely fit their need. Known as a great shot blocker and excellent defender during his years with Utah, he would be an excellent fit for the Warriors, particularly on defense as a dominant help defender and athletic forward. Depending on how quickly rookie Harrison Barnes develops, Kirilenko could also be called upon to start at small forward in a pinch, a role he had during most of his NBA career.

More importantly, Kirilenko is also viewed as someone who could fit into the team's plans financially. At 31 years of age, he is viewed as someone who is in the latter stages of his career and could be had for a very reasonable price. However, while he might only command the veteran's minimum, which for him would be about $1.2 million, the Warriors are a dark horse in acquiring his services.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:27 pm
If Landry passes up on the offer we gave him to sign with another team I could see us going after AK-47. We would have to offer him $3mil or more to pull him away from The nets or his current Russian team.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 am
I'm just not extremely interested... It's a sexier name than Carl Landry, but is anybody asking themselves why Kirilenko went back to Russia in the first place? The dude regressed heavily in Utah and while his length is attractive, he's 31 and doesn't offer a lick of offense.

Again, seems like yet another scenario where standing pat with Dominic McGuire is the most prudent of options.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:08 am
McGuire showed he can be effective here and can be had for 1-2 million. I also think Kenyon Martin can be had for 1-2 million and he showed he still has some energy and can block some shots. He'd fit real well also. No need to spend that much on any one player now and really, the team can't afford to to stay out of luxury tax.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:15 am
I think AK-47 is, now at least, way better player than Kenyon. You mention his age, but Kenyon is quite older, and he regressed way more. Even in his prime, Kenyon was a good shot blocker, but never a shot down defender, which Kirilenko still is. And on top of that, Andrei is far better player offensively. He can stretch the court, cause he can shoot the 3 pretty good, great rebounder and amazing defender.

The only problem here being that AK is a small forward, not a PF, which is our need after all. I guess he can play PF, but he is at his best as a SF.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 am
I agree that Kirilenko is still a very good player but as Guybrush said, he's definitely a small foward, not a power foward. He doesn't address our lack of depth at PF. We have plenty of options at SF with Barnes, Jefferson, Mcguire? and possibly Rush and Thomson if needed. I'd like the Warriors to go after the Birdman and then if they can't get him, then perhaps Martin. The same goes for Bazemore. Yeah, he had a good game blocking 7 shots in the summer league but one hot day doesn't make it summer. There is no point signing him as he won't get any minutes with Thomson, Rush, Jarrett and Curry playing SG. I think the squad is pretty solid(on the basis that Rush resigns) in every position except for PF. We need to secure Rush and, if possible, spend the rest of the money on the best available big man.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 am
Is it my bad memory or is it that every time we played McGuire as a PF we got our ass kicked in rebounds?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm
Guybrush wrote:I think AK-47 is, now at least, way better player than Kenyon. You mention his age, but Kenyon is quite older, and he regressed way more. Even in his prime, Kenyon was a good shot blocker, but never a shot down defender, which Kirilenko still is. And on top of that, Andrei is far better player offensively. He can stretch the court, cause he can shoot the 3 pretty good, great rebounder and amazing defender.

The only problem here being that AK is a small forward, not a PF, which is our need after all. I guess he can play PF, but he is at his best as a SF.

I dunno, Guy... Kirilenko is a career 31% beyond the arc and his résumé is spotty at best; 36 one year, 25, 27, 30.. I think outside of a short corner 3, he's pretty much useless from long range. His assist numbers are solid, and I agree he's a good defender, but I just think McGuire brings more grit, rebounds extremely well for his size, and playmaker like a point forward.

To me, McGuire's the better option.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:35 pm
I think Ak47 is a better player than Kenyon Martin. But Keynon is a better PF than Ak47 is PF, and PF is the area of need. Thing that concern me about Kenyon is not his attitude but his injury history. I'd be happy with any of them tho Landry, Kenyon, Ak47. All effective players who'd be good off the bench.

just stumbled upon this good link - shows all the offseason action on one page... http://hoopshype.com/market_center.htm
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm
If no B-rush ... How 'bout Tmac / Bazemore for backup SG?

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm
It cannot be stated the importance of having a solid back up PF/C, as it stands we have a risk at that position, we have Bogut who is coming off injury, Beans (nuff said), a rookie, Tyler, only certainty I see in that position is David Lee.

Am not sure about Kyle Landry's game, but I wouldn't mind Martin, bring some nastiness to the floor and attitude which this team is lacking.

A fan of AK47, if we can add him do it, even though we have a jam lock at the 3, but priority is that PF/C.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 am
rockyBeli wrote:I think Ak47 is a better player than Kenyon Martin. But Keynon is a better PF than Ak47 is PF, and PF is the area of need. Thing that concern me about Kenyon is not his attitude but his injury history. I'd be happy with any of them tho Landry, Kenyon, Ak47. All effective players who'd be good off the bench.

just stumbled upon this good link - shows all the offseason action on one page... http://hoopshype.com/market_center.htm

That's right, AK is not a PF and never was used that much there really. KMart is my second option after Birdman Chris Anderson. Both play defense and rebound well as backups and bring energy. The team is iffy right now with the backup bigs, relying on potential and all to go well, which is unlikely.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 am
Martin is my first option but he want's to sign with a contender.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 pm
I really, really don't want AK47. He is a SF and we need a PF/C. I would rather take my chance with the Co-coos kid Blatche praying that god will make him see the light than sign a SF just because he has a name and i want to show something to my fan base. I really think that McGuire is better option than AK47.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm
twolves got ak
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball