Video: Golden State Warriors Owners Talk, Oakland Responds

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:49 pm
Hey All,

I have a feeling you all will find this YouTube video interesting. It's from the Golden State Warriors Press Conference of Tuesday and has NBA Commissioner David Stern, both Joe Lacob and Peter Guber, and SF Mayor Ed Lee and Warriors Legend Al Attles, as well as Oakland Councilmember Ignacio De La Fuente. Get your coffee and sit down; it's about 18 minutes, but worth it. In it, Lacob makes revealing statements about dealing with Oakland.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 am
Zennie, thanks for posting this, and going to trouble filming the whole thing and getting all the interviews. I watched the opening, when I have 20 free minutes later, I'll definitely sit down and watch the whole thing.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 am
First off, thank you for posting that clip. Indeed, this Warrior fan found the entirety of the program to be interesting and I hope East Bay fans (specifically, Oakland locals) will engage in discussion about this.

Unfortunately, as a proponent of the other side, I disagree with the premise of this video. Sort of strikes me as a camcorder bomb on a day where clearly everyone interrogated was caught off guard and unprepared to answer these - contextually speaking - unrelated questions.

With all due respect to Mr. Ignacio De La Fuente, everyone else in this video seemed confused and unimpressed with the accusations that Warriors ownership will have an additional $150 million of debt to pay to the city of Oakland. In fact, Mr. Lacob, Commisioner Stern, and Mayor Lee all obviously took offense to the idea that the Warriors would financially back door the city of Oakland en route to an exodus to San Francisco.

In my humble opinion, Oakland (and East Bay fans in general) are making way too big a deal about this. The Warriors aren't disowning their fans in Oakland; they're simply upgrading their venue to a state of the art facility; quite frankly, something Oakland has been solidly behind with the stipulation that the arena is built in their backyard. But at the end of the day, let's not forget: this is the "Golden State" Warriors; not the "Oakland" Warriors (or the "San Francisco" Warriors, to that effect).

For the past 40 years, Oakland has been the custodian of the Bay Area's basketball team. In doing so, it seems by the reaction of the locals this past week, they took unrightful ownership of a team that - plainly speaking - did not belong to them in the first place; it belonged to all of us in the Bay.

Returning to my previous point about Oakland overreacting; really, whats being pined over here (besides an abstract suggestion of economic uptick that the Warriors NEVER provided, save for the employees of the Oracle Arena for 41 games a year) is a measly commute and a few digs at the "wine and cheese" demographic in San Francisco not being as rowdy as the "common, blue collar folk" in Oakland.

Are you kidding me?

For the past 20 years, my family has held season tickets in Oakland. We hail from San Jose. In fact, I'd wager the vast majority of folks that we sat with and watched games side by side amongst have admitted to being from the West Bay. If location is an advantage, what does it tell you that East Bay fans only comprised around 50% of the arena crowd WHILE IT WAS LOCATED IN THE EAST BAY? At least half of the revenue being garnered by these home games was being shelled out by the very crowd this new stadium caters to, but now that ownership rewards us with a more convenient commute in a more relevant (and representative) area of the Bay, Oakland locals are calling foul play? Shame on you people. This isn't a move to New Orleans or Memphis or OKC; it's a short hop acrossed the territory. To act as though you are being robbed of something is spoiled and petty.

And regarding the point about the loss of East Bay fans in the shuffle of arenas... If polling and statistics tell us anything, then the only thing that'll be in trouble is Club 200. The rowdy, electric, breathing backdrop in the lower bowl will live on; as it does in the Shark Tank, as it does in Candlestick, as it does in AT&T Park. While the Black Hole is unique in its own way, it doesn't sell out the Coliseum. Go ask the A's and the Raiders how much better their crowds are than their San Francisco counterparts. Again, blind, factually void claims being trumpeted out of the East Bay. How, exactly, do you people see yourselves as better fans than the rest of us?

The truth is, Oakland needs to address the reason as to why sports teams are looking elsewhere in the first place. Like it or not, the Warriors are giving you people the ultimate "it's-not-you, it's-me" treatment right now. You can either cry in your bedroom for 3 weeks eating tubs of ice cream or you can hit the gym and show your ex why she was wrong to leave you in the first place.

But this frantic squealing of "it's not fair!"... Really, it just makes the East Bay look bad.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Warriors Basketball