Will Mark Jackson Remain the Coach?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm
First off, I loved Mark Jackson as a player, but I'm not a big fan of him as an NBA coach. When I use to listen to him during broadcasts when he was a commentator, I remember thinking that this guy will never been a head coach because he just didn't make sense. Being able to play the game and being able to coach it are two different things. This is his first coaching job EVER. Never coached a high school or college game . Not even as an assistant. Look, I understand that there is a learning curve, but some of it is really elementary.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that during time outs, Mark Jackson is standing on the side with Michael Malone the one in the huddle drawing plays and coaching. So what is Mark Jackson doing? He then comes in and just says "come on guys." Hell, I can do that.

I understand this was a shortened season and that their talent level isn't that great, so if he's around another season, then I wouldn't be upset. What I would be upset about is that Malone is going to be a head coach somewhere and IMO, a very good one. If they keep Jackson, they'll lose out on Malone. I would let Jackson go and hire Malone as the head coach. They're not losing anything really as Malone does all the in game coaching. Jackson is just a face and lacks the knowledge of the game to coach it at a high level.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 pm
Look, I don't know how anyone in this board can claim they know more about basketball then Mark Jackson...
not trying to be rude, but the guy has 17 years as NBA starting Point Guard.... It was his job to know basketball at it highest level.

To assume all that Jackson does is be a cheerleader is not fair. I see him pull the rookies aside and talk to them. I see him teaching Tyler and Jenkins through out the game.

Yes, Malone does a lot of coaching, and drawing up plays. I read that he also does a lot in practices. But that is not uncommon for high profile assistant coaches. If you look at it like this, Jackson is giving his friend Malone (they have long been friends before they worked together) a chance to polish Malone's coaching skills to become a head coach, while also benefiting from learning from Malone, then you can say Jackson has been stellar. Not letting his ego get in the way of being an Effective TEAM. I give props to jackson, I like his demenor and his confidence. I like even more that he has this team competing all most every night even though they are young and make a ton of mistakes.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 pm
The honeymoon of Mark Jackson is not over.

I am pretty sure he is on directives from management to tank.

same result next season??? Then he will be shown the door.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:05 pm
:withstupid: :mrgreen:

Agreed. I usually like to give coaches 2 years to see what they can do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm
32 wrote::withstupid: :mrgreen:

Agreed. I usually like to give coaches 2 years to see what they can do.

I feel like deleting my post 32.. So that GSW Hoops Fan thinks you have a problem with him 8)
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Look, I don't know how anyone in this board can claim they know more about basketball then Mark Jackson...
not trying to be rude, but the guy has 17 years as NBA starting Point Guard.... It was his job to know basketball at it highest level.

If you really read my post, I never claimed to know more about basketball than him. Allen Iverson spent 17 years in the league. Does that make him a potentially good coach or know about the game? Coaching the game and playing the game are two different entities. He's the Mike Singletary of the NBA. He's a motivator and speaker. He's not an X's and O's guy.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Look, I don't know how anyone in this board can claim they know more about basketball then Mark Jackson...

If you really read my post, I never claimed to know more about basketball than him. Allen Iverson spent 17 years in the league. Does that make him a potentially good coach or know about the game? Coaching the game and playing the game are two different entities. He's the Mike Singletary of the NBA. He's a motivator and speaker. He's not an X's and O's guy.

My appologies BayAreaHoopz.

I did read your post, two times actually. I actually agree with the fact that he should be given another year. I didn't think you said you meant you had more knowledge then him, just got frusturated with some posts (certainly not yours) that bash our players/coaches/front office, without really thinking through what is happnening. Or rather the posts that suggest he doesn't know anything and is just a wall flower. I felt that coach Smart wasn't given a fair chance, and feel like Jackson is getting the short end of the stick too. Ever since the booing on the night of Mullin ( I was there and was pretty mad/embarrassed when it happened), I may have been a bit more touchy about the criticism that is so easily given out to these guys. I certainly can see how the previous regime was bashed and rightfully so, but now that there is a new group in town, just feel like they aren't given a chance to cleanup 15 years or bad management. It will take more then 2 years to rebuild a broken franchise.

Edit:
by the way it was this sentence that made me reply the way I did:

I understand that there is a learning curve, but some of it is really elementary.

maybe I read it the wrong way, but seemed like you were saying he doesn't know basketball.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 am
As i stated before i believe that the MJ situation is not his fault. It is natural that he needs time to learn. If the FO believed in him they should give him a job as an assistant for 2-3 years and then promote him. It is the logical thing to do. They did it with Myers why not with MJ. Anyway the bad thing is that he made things more difficult for him with his promises. Stating that this a play-off calibre team is just like saying that Smart was not a good coach and now that he is here that team will be better. I think that was an unfair thing to do not to mention that he didn't prove it. FO has the knife and the watermelon in their hands, will see. I am not against giving another year to MJ but if the opportunity comes for a legit coach i would prefer to hire him and keep MJ as an assistant.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Return to Warriors Basketball