Extending Bogut

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: -9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:21 am
How much?

I don't want him looking for greener pastures like Boston or Miami and think we should extend him a.s.a.p. otherwise we risk giving up Monta for a guy with one foot out the door.

I'm thinking $34 million over 2 will get it done. He would definitely get max in FA but I think we could pick him up for slightly less since his risk would be gone.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:06 am
He has to prove himself as he hasn't played one game here yet. After next season, you talk contract with him or trade him if he doesn't want to resign.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 am
Are you serious? How many wins has that strategy gotten us Garry St. Mullin? Rebuild, trade, rinse repeat. There's a reason we have been the worst franchise in the league for a decade and a half. This strategy has gotten us what, two winning seasons? But what the hay, let's just keep trying it even though all the winning clubs stay stable let's just shuffle and hope for 21 wins next year instead of 16.

Sorry, I'm ranting again...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 am
What's that, extending Foyle and Fishstiks way too early where shouldn't have at all. Same with SJax. Wait and see what Bogut is next season, he's ours anyway and you can always trade him because he does have two years left on his contract still, so one more next offseason, plenty of time to see and evaluate.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:22 am
Agreed. We have Bogut on absolute lock til the summer of 2014. There's no need to harass him on an extension 2 and a half seasons before he's due one.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 am
Andrew Bogut has not even played one game for the Warriors yet. There still uncertainty with Bogut past accumulating injuries, moving into a new team and conference. The FO have to see does he mix well with this team, and if he can have an impact to get the Warriors into the playoffs in the Western Conference. What if the FO extend his contract and he still gets injured at a high rate, can't help this team to the playoffs in the West, and now Warriors are stuck with an injury prone center with another center who doesn't want to do much on the basketball court in AB. They have to see Bogut play in meaningful games for the warriors first than they might extend him.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am
fullmetalx wrote:Andrew Bogut has not even played one game for the Warriors yet. There still uncertainty with Bogut past accumulating injuries, moving into a new team and conference. The FO have to see does he mix well with this team, and if he can have an impact to get the Warriors into the playoffs in the Western Conference. What if the FO extend his contract and he still gets injured at a high rate, can't help this team to the playoffs in the West, and now Warriors are stuck with an injury prone center with another center who doesn't want to do much on the basketball court in AB. They have to see Bogut play in meaningful games for the warriors first than they might extend him.

That's a great point but that's the risk you take as a NBA team owner. They said the same about Kobe's last contract will he get hurt will he play that long will he poison the locker room... but they still gave him one of the largest contracts ever. We aren't LA we can't wait till the last minute like they do with Bynum's option either.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm
Womb Brooming Monta wrote:
fullmetalx wrote:Andrew Bogut has not even played one game for the Warriors yet. There still uncertainty with Bogut past accumulating injuries, moving into a new team and conference. The FO have to see does he mix well with this team, and if he can have an impact to get the Warriors into the playoffs in the Western Conference. What if the FO extend his contract and he still gets injured at a high rate, can't help this team to the playoffs in the West, and now Warriors are stuck with an injury prone center with another center who doesn't want to do much on the basketball court in AB. They have to see Bogut play in meaningful games for the warriors first than they might extend him.

That's a great point but that's the risk you take as a NBA team owner. They said the same about Kobe's last contract will he get hurt will he play that long will he poison the locker room... but they still gave him one of the largest contracts ever. We aren't LA we can't wait till the last minute like they do with Bynum's option either.

Bogut is not Kobe, though. Kobe could have fallen off a rim like Bogey, or even go down like Shaun Livingston, and he'd still have 20 teams waiting to give him a max deal.

Being a big man, Bogut plays a more important position and fills a most difficult need at center, but it also makes his injuries relevant. I'm not worried that he won't come back 100%, but I'm also in no hurry to give him $100 million before he even suits up... And, sure as you're born, he will get $100 million somewhere. But in the meantime, we have two audition seasons of him at $13 mil a pop.

Time is on the team's advantage; there's no reason to even think about an extension 2 years beforehand.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:02 pm
Okay, I guess you guys are right. But hey, I wasn't talking about paying him $100 million like someone said. I would only do that for My Monta and other pretty men who are into women with facial hair.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm
The moment when a teacher says "There are no silly/stupid questions" and then someone asks a stupid/silly question" lol

Return to Warriors Basketball