Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_ ... s-their-gm
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 pm
I don't really see this being anything more than a formality at this point. He's likely been calling all the shots for a while now.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm
Kinda saw this one coming the moment we hired Myers last summer. Riley is still attached to the Cohan/Don Nelson era. Myers is young, and being a former agent, might know how to play the cards a bit better when signing FAs (i.e. DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler).

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm
finally!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm
Yeah, that was bound to happen. Though, what happens to Riley now?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:40 pm
This means Riley is gone? If so, about time and should have been done the moment new ownership took over. It is now a full transition and the team can move ahead completely.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 pm
Larry Riley has been converted to the Director of Scouting.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 am
Riley makes a better scout anyways. I hope Bob makes the right signings for next season.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am
I still see Riley as a cancer from the cohan era and the new ownership should get all new people.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am
bobsura wrote:Kinda saw this one coming the moment we hired Myers last summer. Riley is still attached to the Cohan/Don Nelson era. Myers is young, and being a former agent, might know how to play the cards a bit better when signing FAs (i.e. DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler).

True. I like how he pushed the value of both those guys way up and stuck NY and Clipps with really good but slightly overpriced players. He had no plans to ever sign those guys with Beeds and Lee locked up forever, Monta's $11 million, and Curry needing max money very soon. There was zero money left for Chandler for sure unless we didn't want to sign anyone in free agency for like 5 years and keep winning right into the 9th non-seed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 am
Womb Brooming Monta wrote:
bobsura wrote:Kinda saw this one coming the moment we hired Myers last summer. Riley is still attached to the Cohan/Don Nelson era. Myers is young, and being a former agent, might know how to play the cards a bit better when signing FAs (i.e. DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler).

True. I like how he pushed the value of both those guys way up and stuck NY and Clipps with really good but slightly overpriced players. He had no plans to ever sign those guys with Beeds and Lee locked up forever, Monta's $11 million, and Curry needing max money very soon. There was zero money left for Chandler for sure unless we didn't want to sign anyone in free agency for like 5 years and keep winning right into the 9th non-seed.

Ehh, disagree. I think they were very interested in those players; but fortunately for us, both players have horrifically underperformed in the first year of their new contracts. So Warrior management escapes looking like geniuses for dodging bullets, when really they just avoided the STD cause they're virgins.

If NY was in the 2-seed, we wouldn't be acting like we blew up the price to TC...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm
I think this was a very smart and strategic move to promote Myers and to move Riley to head of scouting. Riley has somewhat an eye for talent, something that Myers hasn't proved yet. However, Myers will probably have a way with luring potential free agents because he was a former agent himself. The move puts both people into position where they can excel.

On second though, I honestly wouldn't mind letting Riley go entirely and let Jerry West handle all of the scouting/drafting because I know he played a big hand in drafting Thompson anyways. I bet he doesn't want to do all the traveling that is involved in scouting, so that's probably why Riley will be sticking with us.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Return to Warriors Basketball