Our 30th (from Spurs) pick.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 am
migya wrote:
facue420 wrote:"Gerald Wallace will opt out of his deal with the Nets and become a free agent."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ree-agent/

we should draft a pure center so he can learn behind bogut and lee, and sign Gerald Wallace for defensive set up. just my imo, get the best center outta this yrs draft! big men are hard to find.

Signing GWallace would be the best thing to me, as long as there is salary space for him (which as things are right now, there isn't) and he doesn't want more than 8 million a year for no more than three years. A trade getting rid of DWright for future picks would maybe open up enough salary space to sign GWallace, but that'd have to be done first and early in the offseason to have a good chance of landing him. That would then definately allow for the drafting of the best big available, so that's a very good, though difficult to do and time, direction.

GWallace is a serious defender and that is what makes him so valuable to me. If he was added to the roster right now, that could be championship caliber right there. Blazers didn't have as much talent when they had GWallace, even when Roy and Oden were healthy.

I think Wallace is a pretty do it all kind of player and good wing defender. He is a gamble because he is injury prone and Wallace is searching for a multi year deal. Wallace alone wouldn't make this a championship caliber team, but he can be part of championship piece if more pieces quality impact piece like Wallace are added to this roster. Also a clean bill of health through out the season for Curry and Bogut.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:11 am
We're over the cap at the beginning of the year. We can't offer Wallace any more than the mid-level exception. Keep in mind that contenders have the mid-level exception as well and he'll definitely be more inclined to sign with teams that are playoff bound + contenders before he considers teams that are the likes of the warriors.

Sad but true...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 am
That's why I said if the team can trade DWright for future picks, like 2nd round pick, maybe that'd open up just enough space to sign GWallace to 8 million a year.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am
Or maybe we can trade Wallace for Jeferson + 1-2 rookies in a sign and trade deal. That off course if our top draft pick is not a SF.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 pm
Doable, but I think New Jersey would rather have salary relief instead of two rookies that were late picks this season. Then again, Jenkis and Tyler performed well at the end of this season and maybe they have value to the Nets FO.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:20 am
If the rookies are Fab Melo and Machado wouldn't you be willing to take Jeferson's contract? We where willing to take it simply to avoid SJax.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:23 am
On a second thought if the picks where Melo and Machado i would keep them. And Jeferson. Hell we need a veteran.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am
Yeah, Melo might turn out to be a good contributor. And I've heard a lot of good things about Machado as well. Seems like a decent pass firs PG.

Anyway, depending of the lottery, getting Drummond in the draft, and then trading Dorell Wright to make room for Gerald Wallace, and signing him to a 3 year deal, for instance, would be huge for this team. That would be one of the great options.

Also, drafting Fab Melo, later would give us a good big guy, and if we can't get Gerald, and we do draft Perry Jones, we would get some great pieces for this year's draft. Both players could be really good. So, those picks definitely have worth. Maybe we could trade them after the draft, but I wouldn't trade them too easily. I'd do that just in case we can get a good SF, that is playing defense. Offense is not that big of an issue, we have plenty of scorers, and players who need their shots. It wouldn't be a good thing to add more players that need more than 10 shots a game.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm
Changed the title of the thread to make more sense.

So a lot of draft experts have the people I've mentioned before shooting up the draft. That includes Myers Leonard, Fab Melo, and even Andrew Nicholson.

A name who have been coming up in some mock drafts is Royce White. He's some kind of super athlete. He can post-up or face up on the post, runs in the open court well, can dribble some, and passes very, very, very well for a big man. He is a head case though. He has some kind of anxiety disorder and has a fear of flying so I don't know how that's going to work out.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 pm
Unless we take Sullinger or Drummond at #7, my vote at 30 is Fab Melo. We need a backup big, there's no doubt.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:33 pm
No way Melo lasts until 30. But I doubt we keep all 4 draft picks so I would love to see us try to move up from 30 to get him. If we are looking to address bigs in the draft, I like Ezeli and Kyle O'Quinn in the 30 range.
Player I want the most in the 30 range is Jae Crowder. Dude is quick, strong, built like a rock and a tenacious defender who can hit the 3, good passer and high BBIQ. According to advanced stats he was the 2nd most valuable player in the country last year behind Davis and in the one of the most valuable in the year before that (his first year at Marquette).
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:13 pm
Yeah. All of the mock drafts have Fab Melo going significantly higher than 30.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Assuming they don't use the picks in a trade for an established player, I wouldn't mind packaging the 30th pick along with both 2nd rounders to move up, even if its just a couple of spots. Myers have said that they don't want to add 4 rookies. A pick in the early to mid 20s can land a player that would be out of reach at 30. Maybe a Quincy Miller, Andrew Nicholson, Fab Melo, Jeffrey Taylor, Marquis Teague or Kris Middleton.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:54 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Assuming they don't use the picks in a trade for an established player, I wouldn't mind packaging the 30th pick along with both 2nd rounders to move up, even if its just a couple of spots. Myers have said that they don't want to add 4 rookies. A pick in the early to mid 20s can land a player that would be out of reach at 30. Maybe a Quincy Miller, Andrew Nicholson, Fab Melo, Jeffrey Taylor, Marquis Teague or Kris Middleton.

Sounds good to me. Even if we draft someone like Sullinger I still wouldn't mind grabbing someone like Melo, Nicholson, or Myers Leonard. Can never have enough big men. Worse case scenario they can show promise and be a bargaining chip to unload some bad contracts.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 pm
:dontknow: Melo's going 25ish in most of the mocks I see... You say he's significantly higher? You think someone will take him between 15-20?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball